Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting the default app

(Topic created on: 02-09-2020 02:39 AM)
Ddw1966
First Poster
Options

I use YouTube TV as my television service and would like my Samsung TV to start up on that instead of TVPlus. Is there a way to change the default startup app?

99 REPLIES 99
CouldBeAKaren
First Poster
Options

I was so excited to get the frame TV so I could display art when it's off.  Great concept and generally works, but does have a few glitches.  The AutoRun failure is the most frustrating.  It works from some apps, but not all.  It will autorun Prime if that is the last thing I watched.  But I mostly watch the xfinity stream app; autorun does not work.  You would think developers in this decade would have more forethought.  Hmph.

0 Likes
TVwatcher
Student
Options

Same problem--cannot start from last app attached.  Any solutions?

0 Likes
Digawhat
First Poster
Options

Get into the service menu (Don't change any other settings other than what is in this post) video from Youtube on how to get into service menu https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UC1hUxKYLa8&t=29s . Then  go to  SM>Control>Hotel Options>Hospitality Mode (ON)>Power On Source>HDMI/DVI (On) or change Power on Source to HDMI then restart tv. Hold power button to restart TV.  Found instruction here https://en.tab-tv.com/?p=23767 . *side note ... If you leave "Autostart last app" on in smart features (in settings menu) in turned on then by that will override hdmi setting. Had to to set this up for an elderly couple because the tv would always go to Samsung TV plus and the gentleman was not a happy camper. 

0 Likes
Flaccid Glock
First Poster
Options

I FOUND A FIX NO MORE AD MONEY FOR SAMSUNG! , go to BROADCASTING , PROGRAM RATING LOCK , and select every rating , you will be met with a blank default screen , no more Samsung TV PLUS HAHAHAHA

Rosyv
Student
Options

I think soon Sony will be grateful to Samsung for this ridiculous TV Plus? Nonsense. I bought a tv not an ad display. It says start on last used app but simply won't. Never again Samsung 

0 Likes
LG1984
Student
Options

So true! Just tried that and it worked. I want Spectrum to be my start up app and it does not work even though I have it set to default to last app used. But when I tried my Amazon prime it did work for that when I turn it off and on it will default to that app. I’m also having issues with it timing out of my spectrum app if there is no activity for awhile and it defaults back to Samsung plus that plays VEVO videos even though I have the timer set to OFF. Seems as though this is in purpose to use their chosen apps. I am so frustrated that I wish I could return this TV but it has passed the time to return. I will not purchase Samsung TV again. Only purchase because it is compatible with spectrum app but then there is this issue where it will not default to it.

0 Likes
Arthur1624
First Poster
Options

I want to start with YouTube as well.  Added the "Autorun last app" and it was actually already set.  When the set starts I can see it come up with YouTube TV initially and then it quickly swaps to Samsung Plus.  Seems this would be a trivial patch for development to address?

0 Likes
motomanmatt
Explorer
Options

Hi Arthur. Yes, this is a frustrating issue. After a year of looking for a solution, somebody ("digawat") posted one further up in this thread. I've copied it and pasted it below for you. I don't know what your level of tech savvy is. But if you follow the instructions in the YouTube video link to get into the proper hidden menu, you can then locate and turn on the hotel feature. ( the little smart remote that came with the TV it only has like eight buttons on it won't work. You have to use a universal remote with all the number buttons on it and everything. You can get one online for like $7.). I wish the solution were a little easier. But it's not too difficult. Don't be intimidated. You can do it! PS I found a slightly better YouTube video for getting into the service menu. Here it is.  Also: the initial code that he used in the YouTube video worked for me but I had to go through the process three times before I actually got in the service menu. Once you get into the service menu just follow the instructions below for setting the TV into Hotel mode. FYI The ">" symbols in the instructions below mean those are branches in the menu tree. ie Use the up and down arrows on the universal remote to navigate up and down the menus. when you highlight a branch/level in the tree, ">" means click  "Enter".  Hit the "Return" button to back up in the menu tree.

ORIGINAL POSTED SOLUTION FROM DIGAWAT THAT WORKED FOR ME: "Get into the service menu (Don't change any other settings other than what is in this post) video from Youtube on how to get into service menu https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UC1hUxKYLa8&t=29s . Then  go to  SM>Control>Hotel Options>Hospitality Mode (ON)>Power On Source>HDMI/DVI (On) or change Power on Source to HDMI then restart tv. Hold power button to restart TV.  Found instruction here https://en.tab-tv.com/?p=23767 . *side note ... If you leave "Autostart last app" on in smart features (in settings menu) in turned on then by that will override hdmi setting. Had to to set this up for an elderly couple because the tv would always go to Samsung TV plus and the gentleman was not a happy camper. "

0 Likes
motomanmatt
Explorer
Options

Oops. Here's the link to the YouTube video that I think is a little better.

https://youtu.be/LGngUs30dh0

0 Likes
motomanmatt
Explorer
Options

Thanks! You're the man! Worked for me. Though I found a video that I think is a little better for getting into the service menu.  https://youtu.be/LGngUs30dh0

Also, I use Smart Hub because I have a soundbar. The Smart Hub is connected to its own port on the back of the tv. So setting the default to HDMI 1 doesn't really help. So when I turn the TV on I see an option to select the input. I just hit the home button and the smart menu comes up and I choose YouTube tv. But at least I don't have to endure that Bloody TV plus anymore! Thanks so much!

0 Likes