Go to solution Solved

Original topic:

Satellite cable connection to FreeSat enabled TV

(Topic created on: 05/11/20 21:15)
TeaMonsta
First Poster
Options
TV

Despite much Googling I cannot find the answer. Probably because for the vast majority it’s (probably) obvious. Anyway, I’m sure there’ll be plenty here who can help.....

I’m about to buy a TU8500 TV with FreeSat built in/enabled. I have one single satellite cable coming  out of the wall where the TV is to be installed. I’m assuming that this is all that’s needed to get the satellite signal (ie. attach cable to TV). The reason I ask is that we have a double satellite cable which goes into the Sky box which is under the stairs (the Sky box is used for a TV in another room) but I’m assuming that’s so you can watch and record at the same time. We’ll only be using this particular TV (the TU8500) for watching FreeSat channels. Any help/advice is very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
AndrewL
Options
TV

@TeaMonsta: If you connect the aerial to the ANT IN (Satellite Main) port of the TV, then head to Settings > Broadcasting > Auto Tuning Settings > Auto Tuning, and run through the on screen instructions, then this will be all you'll need to access the Freesat channels. If you encounter any issues, you could try using the double cable that's currently attached to the Sky Box, connect to both aerial inputs on the back of the TV, then press the button on your remote with a red, green and yellow circle (if 123 is written below the circles, press the button twice) > Aerial Type > Dual. For further details, please check the user manual via the link below.

https://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/202006/20200618112133692/NIKDVBEUT-3.0.0_EM_NIKE_EU_EN...

View solution in context

5 REPLIES 5
Solution
AndrewL
Options
TV

@TeaMonsta: If you connect the aerial to the ANT IN (Satellite Main) port of the TV, then head to Settings > Broadcasting > Auto Tuning Settings > Auto Tuning, and run through the on screen instructions, then this will be all you'll need to access the Freesat channels. If you encounter any issues, you could try using the double cable that's currently attached to the Sky Box, connect to both aerial inputs on the back of the TV, then press the button on your remote with a red, green and yellow circle (if 123 is written below the circles, press the button twice) > Aerial Type > Dual. For further details, please check the user manual via the link below.

https://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/202006/20200618112133692/NIKDVBEUT-3.0.0_EM_NIKE_EU_EN...

View solution in context

TeaMonsta
First Poster
Options
TV

Thanks, Andrew. I’ll refer back to this when the TV arrives. 

0 Likes
Dan772
First Poster
Options
TV

I have the same issue. Have a double cable from satellite dish that used to go into Sky box but one of the inputs on the TV is different to the cable. Have tried plugging one cable in and Freesat channels appear in the guide but have a 'no signal' message when I try and watch

TeaMonsta
First Poster
Options
TV

Thanks again, folks. We picked up the TV yesterday and referred to the user manual to which Andrew had provided a link. We attached the satellite  cable to the back of the tv. We had suspected that this particular cable had not been connected to the incoming cable from the dish. Our suspicions were confirmed when no signal was detected. That’s a job for another day (and for someone else as the other end’s buried in the loft somewhere and I really can’t be bothered trying to locate it). 99% of the viewing will be internet based, anyway (NetFlix etc.), on this particular TV. We have another TV that’s rigged up to the SKY box for everything else, if we need it, so the connection of the two ends in the loft may never happen. Great TV. Very user friendly and a big hit with our 8 year old who has hijacked it to watch DanTDM on YouTube. Constantly.

0 Likes
wwe1
Options
TV
I have a Samsung 50 inch q60t it as a sat connection on side of TV how do I connect it to dish cable or do I need a freesat box
0 Likes