Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Satellite cable connection to FreeSat enabled TV

(Topic created on: 09-04-2022 01:58 PM)
TeaMonsta
Apprentice
Options

Despite much Googling I cannot find the answer. Probably because for the vast majority it’s (probably) obvious. Anyway, I’m sure there’ll be plenty here who can help.....

I’m about to buy a TU8500 TV with FreeSat built in/enabled. I have one single satellite cable coming  out of the wall where the TV is to be installed. I’m assuming that this is all that’s needed to get the satellite signal (ie. attach cable to TV). The reason I ask is that we have a double satellite cable which goes into the Sky box which is under the stairs (the Sky box is used for a TV in another room) but I’m assuming that’s so you can watch and record at the same time. We’ll only be using this particular TV (the TU8500) for watching FreeSat channels. Any help/advice is very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
9 REPLIES 9
Solution
AndrewL
Options

@TeaMonsta: If you connect the aerial to the ANT IN (Satellite Main) port of the TV, then head to Settings > Broadcasting > Auto Tuning Settings > Auto Tuning, and run through the on screen instructions, then this will be all you'll need to access the Freesat channels. If you encounter any issues, you could try using the double cable that's currently attached to the Sky Box, connect to both aerial inputs on the back of the TV, then press the button on your remote with a red, green and yellow circle (if 123 is written below the circles, press the button twice) > Aerial Type > Dual. For further details, please check the user manual via the link below.

https://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/202006/20200618112133692/NIKDVBEUT-3.0.0_EM_NIKE_EU_EN...

TeaMonsta
Apprentice
Options

Thanks, Andrew. I’ll refer back to this when the TV arrives. 

0 Likes
Dan772
First Poster
Options

I have the same issue. Have a double cable from satellite dish that used to go into Sky box but one of the inputs on the TV is different to the cable. Have tried plugging one cable in and Freesat channels appear in the guide but have a 'no signal' message when I try and watch

TeaMonsta
Apprentice
Options

Thanks again, folks. We picked up the TV yesterday and referred to the user manual to which Andrew had provided a link. We attached the satellite  cable to the back of the tv. We had suspected that this particular cable had not been connected to the incoming cable from the dish. Our suspicions were confirmed when no signal was detected. That’s a job for another day (and for someone else as the other end’s buried in the loft somewhere and I really can’t be bothered trying to locate it). 99% of the viewing will be internet based, anyway (NetFlix etc.), on this particular TV. We have another TV that’s rigged up to the SKY box for everything else, if we need it, so the connection of the two ends in the loft may never happen. Great TV. Very user friendly and a big hit with our 8 year old who has hijacked it to watch DanTDM on YouTube. Constantly.

0 Likes
wwe1
First Poster
Options
I have a Samsung 50 inch q60t it as a sat connection on side of TV how do I connect it to dish cable or do I need a freesat box
0 Likes
parv1
First Poster
Options

This should work for anyone who had Sky Q installed and has now cancelled the contract.

The LNB will not work so you will need to order a freesat/sky HD one from Amazon (roughly £15).  Assuming you can access the satellite dish, its a quick swap which will take 5-15 mins depending upon how confident you are doing it.

Hope that helps.

0 Likes
Hahaha a
First Poster
Options

Hi parv1 

I have a sky q and will be cancelling my subscription. Can I connect the sky q cable to my tv direct? I have the neo tv 

tbanks 

0 Likes
Omn73
First Poster
Options

Hello Parv1

This has been wrecking my head for the last few months. I'm in Ireland (Republic) & my father in law has a 43" qled TV and my wife's uncle has a 32" qled TV. Both are 2022 models. Prior to them getting the qled TV's they were using satellite receiver boxes. The connection. In the settings on both qled TVs the satellite system is greyed out and when I try to open it, "this function isn't available" is shown. I cannot get it enabled. I've tried resetting both TVs and setting the country to UK but the satellite setting is still inactive. 

We don't have freesat in the Republic of Ireland but I would have thought a working satellite connection would have allowed you to tune in satellite channels. When I try tuning in satellite channels it knocks out the terrestrial Irish channels and doesn't pick up any satellite channels. 

I myself have a nordmende TV with built in terrestrial and satellite receivers and I'm able to tune in both and filter the channel list to just show the free to air channels. 

I would have thought the Samsung qled TV would have been the same.

I have asked the retailers here but they haven't been able to help. 

If the qled TV has a satellite tuner there shouldn't be a need to have to buy an additional set top receiver. The satellite dishes where the 2 qleds are located are a lot more recent than my dish. All 3 are using the standard black coax cable from the lnb on the dish.

Any ideas or suggestions?

0 Likes
Members_l8etooE
First Poster
Options

Thanks for that advice, tried it and chose freesat from the options, found all the channels and the program guide works but i got no picture. Do the actual sattelite/lnb etc settings need to be changed? When I chose the Astra option instead of freesat I did get a listing of around 40 mainly foreign channels, unavailable sky & virgin  channels, and BBC1 ITV1 and Channel4 buried amongst them. 

Thanks.

0 Likes