Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsungs's reason for auto-updates of firmware updates

(Topic created on: 20-01-2023 09:24 AM)
Svein1967
Pioneer
Options

I just chatted with Samsung support in my country and asked them why my TV updated its firmware overnight despite "auto updates" being toggled off in settings. Here's the chat (translated into English):

"Samsung: Updates may still happen, but will be to fix problems. So if there is a general problem or problem with apps it will update anyway. There is a button where you can turn this off, but as I said, it will update anyway.

Me: Well, then this option is very misleading. The only way to prevent this will then be to take the TV off the net?

Samsung: Yes, if that's what you want. But again, necessary updates will be installed. Not those who come as standard. So it doesn't happen always. It's only when a problem with software is detected by our developers with the current version. If there are no problems, it will not update. You may not notice because you don't use the function that has an error. But again, it will update all models anyway.

Me: What do you mean by "not those who come as standard"? What is a standard update, that one may choose not to install?

Samsung: Standard updates are a later version that are not bug fixes. Those who give  you support for new apps and things like that. It has nothing to do with errors, at least."

Well, that's the explanation given to me.....

6 REPLIES 6
AlonGoodBoy
Apprentice
Options

Thanks for sharing. They at least should let people know what they fixed. And check more thoroughly that they haven't introduced new bugs. Like the motion smoothing problems on 1420.

peanutaxis
Student
Options

This is complete BS. I have auto-update turned off. My TV updated without my consent, DELETED THE YOUTUBE APP FROM THE HOME SCREEN, AND INSTALLED SAMSUNGTV in its place. The explanation you have been given is utter BS. Samsung just want to ram down your throat what suits them.

To samsung employees reading this: I will be spraying this all over social media telling people to avoid buying Samsung products at all cost. No auto-updates DOES NOT MEAN no auto-updates unless Samsung want to force their own product at you. Continue this way at your peril....

KholaI
Options

Hey @peanutaxis 

TVs don't tend to update if auto-update is disabled, so that's a little odd. Could you let me know your TV model, so I can look into this? You'll be able to locate this at the back of the screen, or by heading into Settings > Support > Contact Samsung.

0 Likes
peanutaxis
Student
Options

My home screen apps haven't changed for years. Suddenly a few days ago the Youtube app has gone and been replaced by the SamsungTVPlus app on my home screen. First thing I thought was that maybe I had auto-update on - despite me being always very agaist having it on. It was off, and all the privacy setting are rejected. My guess is that SamsungPlusTV is now available in my country and more than one person at your organisation knows ***** well that they elected to ignore settings and SPAM it at people anyway. I won't be buying anything Samung again.

UA55MU7000

0 Likes
KholaI
Options

I've just had a look at the model, and it doesn't seem to be a UK model. In this instance, I'd advise reaching out to Samsung Support in your region, as they'll be better equipped in helping you get this sorted.

0 Likes
gonk2
First Poster
Options

I have 5 Samsung smart  tvs and I disabled the auto update also because they completely hijacked my tvs with their pathetic updates and forced a bunch of ads and useless apps that cannot be deleted. I'm done with them. Now today I got another update regardless of having it turned off. No more!!

0 Likes