Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung UE40NU7120 Sound drop outs

(Topic created on: 07-01-2019 09:19 PM)
garyforest
Student
Options

I've just bought a Samsung 40 inch UE40NU7120 and everthing is fine apart from some tiny sound drop outs when I'm using my Sky box or Xbox One through HDMI.

When I'm streaming something it's fine.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

41 REPLIES 41
Brallen91
Apprentice
Options

UPDATE 2: unfortunately the problem occured again after a factory reset so I have returned the TV for a full refund. Steps attempted to fix the problem:

• New high speed HDMI cables
  • Samsung support remoting in and refreshing the HDMI ports
  •  Full factory reset

Note - the audio drop outs only occurs when something is connected via HDMI, no audio dropouts occur using the built in TV, device streaming or even their sound test in settings.

I suggest, if the TV is under 30 days old to just return it and spend your money elsewhere as this appears to be a common fault with this particular model as some people have had luck with having the entire board replaced through their repair service - which i refuse to do as it is 3 days old.

RobD1981
Student
Options

I guess i can join the club with this. Although ours is  a slightly different model - UE43NU7020 - which i think is the model which preceeded this one. 

So, here's my story.

1. Christmas Eve - Set up the TV as you would do, plugged in our panasonic bluray player. All good. happy days, lets get on with Christmas. Watch a few things on Terristial and catch up TV. - no issues
  2. Boxing day - decided to watch a music concert bluray, noticed a number of small dropouts in the audio track, bit like a random vinyl pop but the reverse with no sound for a millisecond. Thought nothing of it until it started occurring more frequently and randomly. Tried different disc - same problem.....
  3. Tried a DVD disc (just in case it was an issue with Hi-Def content) same problem occurrs,
  4. Swap HDMI cables and ports round, power everything off - same issues 😞
  5. Check firmware on Bluray - up to date
  6. With the festivities out the way decided to contact Samsung through WebChat - they log in remotely and reset the HDMI and revert the set back to factory settings ( what a pain having to download the apps and log them back in again, but hey ho!). Ask me to see if I still get the issue, was getting late so decided to leave until the next day. Fire bluray up - same dropout problem, try a DVD - same problem.
  7. So connected a Samsung DVD player to elimate the bluray - used same DVD disc and a few others, hey guess what... same issues! At least I know the bluray player isn't defective now.
  8. Recontact Samsung support through WebChat to update, wanted me to reset the set back to factory settings (are you kidding me?) explained already done this and made no difference (told them to look at my chat log) - "oh yes i see you've already done that".
  9. Asked me for a phone numer, give it to them, sent me a link to online webpage which allows them to use the camera on my phone to help diagnose the connections - theres only two HDMI ports, how can i mess that up? video link didn't work for what ever reason, turns out they cant hear dialog through this - so what is the point?
  10. Decide to speak to a human  so rang the number, explained the situation, told them what we have done in the WebChat, wanted me to reset the TV again - i refused and explained that we have already done this already provided chat logs number. oh yes i see you have done this.
  11. Asks me to try the sound test feature in the settings - can i hear the sound/music playing? yes i reply..... appears to be no fault with the TV - YOU WHAT???
  12. Wants to try and reset the samsung DVD player - WHY? Give her the model - she can't find the model for reset instructions.... put on hold for 20 minutes. Gave up and hung up - 2 hours of a saturday morning gone.

One thing i have noticed is that the Bluray player doesnt appear to like HDMI1 very well, when connected, it seems to display a picture for a few seconds - the gets a spinning wheel (like when the apps are loading on the TV) and comes back again, and repeats. Not sure why this is happening as it worked fine (albeit with the sound issues) on HDMI1 upon setup, but works fine on HDMI2 (arc) with no problem.

So i'm no further on with this than i was on last week. TV is going in box and a trip to the store is in order tomorrow. I've never had this experience with a TV before. I'm glad that there are others with the same issues, i think Samsung are aware of an issue but don't know to fix it. its worrying that its is across different models but I guess the barebones of the hardware is mostly the same. Call center appears to be in India, and they are quite clearly reading from a script as you tell them the problem and they don't understand what you have told them - and they go off on tangent and you have to explain everything again.

OptimaX
Student
Options

I can confirm the same issue. Everything that’s connected via HDMI, no matter which port has drops. Some are ‘louder’ than others and actually sound like a digital distortion. 

KevOrca
Apprentice
Options

I have tested the sound using the optical out on the TV to my receiver and there are still dropouts.  Not as many but they are still occurring. I don't know what to do now as I have had the TV for over 30 days so a refund won't be an option.  Shame on Samsung for releasing tv's with these faults.  I guess I will have to get an engineer out or hope that a future firmware update will fix the issue. But I guess it is a hardware issue if replacement boards fix the problem. 

0 Likes
Lg567
Student
Options

Does anyone know the number email to contract to have an engineer come out??

I'm also out with my time as was bought for a Christmas present so was purchased some weeks before even although it wasn't actually opened. But it's clearly a problem with the tv not HDMI cables etc. Or they wouldnt be this amount of complaints. Samsung must be aware of this as they must have a high return rate of this tv now and complaints to have it fixed. 

0 Likes
RobD1981
Student
Options

Update on my problem.

In my last post i mentioned that i was going to box up the TV and go back the retailer. Well i did that and what a waste of time that was.  I decided to take it to one of their larger stores which have one of their "KnowHow" desks for when you have a problem etc.... spoke to the manager of the TV dept who to be honest was not interested one bit and passed the problem over to one of his Minions at KnowHow desk.

As you know the problem is random and if you arent paying attention you can miss it, so we have TV and my HDMI Panasonic Bluray set up on the store counter waiting for the problem to occur... in the middle of the store, where there's customers talking, general noise and other electronics  blaring away....

In the end we couldn't come to a compromise due to the fact the TV 'behaved' itself and if it did happen you couldn't hear it anyway. I have been handed a leaflet to give their Customer Service Centre a call to explain the situation and TV 'may be' sent off for repair, by their team (not Samsung). I am reluctant to do that if I am honest.

So sunday went back to Samsung Support (again!) this time through twitter to vent my disapointment with their support staff. They asked me to describe the problems we have been having and describe how the support team left the situation (well to be fair they had't done anything satisfactory to solve the situation), it was noted on the account that a call back was lined up (news to me), asked when it would be.... response, "don't know, as soon as possible" 

It got to Thursday and still hadn't had any telephone communication from them, so asked them when it would be again,  response "don't know, as soon as possible"  .... then half an hour later i had a telephone call from 'Chloe' from Samsung in India...... 

Had to go through the whole explaining the situation again and asked if i can get the problem to occurr when on the phone.... i said this wasn't possible as it's random and the telephone line wouldn't pick it up either....

I offered the option creating a video of it, which they have sent me an email address to send the video, so I now have the task of capturing a random fault to proove there is one.

This whole situation is beyond the joke, i have directed them to this page, but they seem disinterested because there has been no faults reported with my model number UE43NU7020 - even though there is most definitely a multi-model issue.

I think they are burying their heads in the sand as they know that there is a problem across multiple models and devices and it will cause a headache to get all the TVs repaired.

I really don't know what to do now.... Trading Standards?

0 Likes
roswell1948
Apprentice
Options

Hi guys

I'm from The Netherlands I have a ue60F7000 from 2013.

Just activated Netflix and also with this model I have audio dropouts with optical cable true receiver.

Also I tested with my headphone output to receiver than problem is hardly noticable!

If you search internet, this seems to be an Samsung related problem in several models of them.

Solution, I don't know.

My daughter has a newer model, but she doesn't use optical out so she noticed no problems.

So conclusion, Samsung optical ouput has some hardware/firmware problems sadly.

grts Hans

netflix audio drop 1.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZo4NfDMfgA

I tested this on my tv setting audio output to PCM again, and no dropouts occured.

Update 15-01-2019 today watch netflix again, but know I noticed also audio dropouts in optocal PCM output mode and also using my headphone output to receiver.

Not as bad as with Dolby DIg true optiacal out but still there, very anoying.

Don't know solution, also mail send to CEO europe, waiting for reply.....???

grts Hans

0 Likes
rockwell
First Poster
Options

I want to throw my 2 cents in on this topic since I've been struggling with this problem for a month. I purchased the Samsung Frame TV right around Christmas '18. I experienced the audio dropouts right away when I connected the audio output to my Peachtree Nova 150 stereo receiver/amp.

Now, it's a bit of a complicated story here, but when I initially set up the TV, my Peachtree was in the shop, so I temporarily connected the TV to my Sonos amp. The sonos amp doesn't come with digital inputs, so I had to use a digital to analog coverter (DAC), which was a Chord Mojo portable DAC. I had no issues at all with this setup in regards to audio dropouts. 

A few weeks into owning the TV, my Peachtree came back from the shop, and I disconnected the Sonos and used the Peachtree...and bam, audio dropouts constantly. The receiver was connected via optical, not HDMI, by the way. The TV setting was set to PCM output, since a stereo receiver cannot handle Dolby 5.1. I noticed that dropouts only happed during music. Dialog scenes from Netflix or youtube didn't have this problem. But if I played music on youtube, or when music played on a show in Netflix the dropouts would start again. Since this dropout problem was new to me after owning the TV for  a few weeks, I reached out to the Peachtree service group, rather than Samsung. I did a bit of lurking online, but never called Samsung because the problem seemed to be associated with the receiver. 

The Peachtree service department confirmed that they have seen this problem before, but more with LG TVs. Their explanation was that the built-in DAC in a high-end receiver needs a high quality audio signal. These TVs have digital audio components that are on the lower quality end (no surprise), and the jitter introduced by them caused problems with the sound processing on the receiver end. That service team had me try a few different things, such as getting an HDMI-ARC to optical converter box, to see if the HDMI signal output was better than the built-in optical output. This didn't really help. There was maybe a slight improvement, but nothing major. 

I decided to try the DAC theory again, and used the built-in optical output to my Chord Mojo DAC, and then connected the analog output to the L/R inputs on the Peachtree receiver. No problems at all. The Mojo processed the signal just fine. The mojo isn't meant to be a stationary DAC (battery powered, etc), so I found a cheap ($12) DAC on Amazon that had optical input option, and stereo L/R analog output. My Peachtree is amplifying the output to my stereo speakers, but it isn't doing any of the digital signal processing. I am no longer experiencing any dropouts with this arrangement, so I consider this a permanent solution for me. 

TL;DR: your audio receiver may have audio components that require a more precise digital signal to decode. The TV has a low quality digital signal that has too much jitter, which results in dropouts. The solution is to introduce a cheap DAC between the TV and receiver. Optical out from TV - cheap DAC - analog signal to your receiver. I only use a stereo speaker pair. If you are experiencing this problem with a surround speaker system, this solution is not for you since the DAC output is only L/R stereo. Maybe there is a cheap surround DAC that you can purchase? 

Shawn855
First Poster
Options

Hi everyone,

I have some interesting information that I'd like to share in regards to this issue. It seems like it's not just pertaining to this TV, but to others as well. For example, last month I bought a samsung 50NU6900 and noticed immediately that while playing my xbox one, the audio would cut out for half a second as well. I thought right away it was my xbox one that was the issue so I sold it and got a Nintendo Switch. Same issue! I tried 3 different HDMI cables. Same issue. Streaming content (netflix, youtube, etc) on the tv does NOT cause the issue to occur. So again, going off of what I'm seeing on this board, it can pretty much be confirmed that the drop in audio is happening only to devices connected through HDMI. 

I returned the samsung 6900 and got a replacement. Same issue! Brought that one back as well and got a samsung 7100. I have yet to experience the audio drop out on this 7100 tv, but I only played an hour of Zelda on it so I'll test it further tonight.

Sidenote: The samsung 7100 also has an odd audio pop that happens only in the youtube app. This also happened on my old vizio tv so I'll just sum that up to the app itself being at fault. 

0 Likes
marty5t
Apprentice
Options
I have the samsung UE40nu7120k and had the same problem with the sound cutting out completely so i returned the tv and got a replacement.Lo and Behold it has the exact same problem and the tv is completely unresponsive when this happens,it will not respond to the remote control and wont switch off.contacted the call centre 3 times,they reset the hdmi ports all to no avail.I want the tv repaired but do not want to ring the call centre again and go through another hour of being made to sound like i'm making the whole thing up.
0 Likes