Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung TV Not Showing On YouTube Casting Option

(Topic created on: 27-08-2017 04:36 PM)
RandomlySet
First Poster
Options

Morning all....

I have a Samsung Galaxy S6, and also a Samsung Smart TV (IIRC, the model is UE43H6400).

Anyway, in the past, I could instantly cast YouTube from my phone to my TV without having to access the hub. However, for the past week, I no longer get the cast icon appear in YouTube. I actually now have to load the Smart Hub, start up the YouTube app and then cast. Annoying as hell TBH.

Any ideas what may have caused this? 

34 REPLIES 34
ChrisM
SuperStar
Options

Hi @RandomlySet.

Is the app on your phone up to date as well as the software version of your TV? Go to Menu > Support > Software Update > Update Now.

RyanC
First Poster
Options

On the latest update for everything here, and still cant send to TV anymore with the youtube app, It happend after the latest youtube layout update (can't do it from PC anymore either).

I imagine its down to samsung needing to update their youtube app?

0 Likes
PedroAraujoProg
First Poster
Options

After the TV software update to version 1080 my Samsung SmartTV UN48H4203 also no longer allow media casting from mobile devices. I used apps as AllCast, YouTube and Netflix, but now the cast icon no longer appears in this apps.

Rog_Youss
First Poster
Options
+1
0 Likes
joe-90
Journeyman
Options

This is a hot issue for Samsung Smart TV customers. Samsung has deleted the You Tube app from its Smart TVs. There is a new possibility (Mirroring) for newer TVs, but that does not address the difficulty that has been caused. It also introduces the concern that Samsung might withdraw other support such as Mirror casting in a little while.

The issue also affects screen casting from Android devices. Following the Nougat s/w update Samsung 'phones no longer talk to Samsung TVs, regardless of age.

I see lots of negative comments about Samsung, which may be correct but are not helpful.

In the hope that it will help others, here is my own solution. We are running a Samsung Note 5, and a Samsung S7 and trying to cast to a Samsung TV series UE50. Casting used to work, as did You Tube, but both now fail.

Our solution was to download AllShare from the Play Store to our 'phones. Immediately the TV showed up again and we can cast photos, videos and music from our 'phones to the TV without further issue. Great result!

You Tube casting is a litle trickier, but still possible. To do it, you need to ask AllShare for Online sharing. Then open the You Tube video you want to cast, and select Share (the circular arrow). Then you get a list of ways to share, including AllShare. Press AllShare and you get a choice to Queue or view immediately. Press either of these and it wil start to stream (or if queued it will wait for the current content to finish). For some reason it will not cast You Tube videos directly, but the above workaround is fine for us. Quality is excellent. We were so happy we bought the app (2.99 Euros), but it's free if you don't mind the ads.

...Samsung have messed up the customer communication, but technically it is not their fault. The DNLA (Digital Living Network Alliance) solution that they use still works just fine, which is how AllShare can connect to the TV. The issue is that YouTube no longer supports many of the formats used in DNLA and is migrating to HTML5 instead, which unfortunately the older TVs seem unable to deal with. Why Samsung stopped QuickConnect as well is beyond my ken, and will cost them consumer loyalty. Come on Samsung - either approve AllShare as one of your apps (or something similar) or at least let our cstoemrs know that it answers their needs.

If this has helped, please indicate by 'liking' it. Maybe that will give Samsung cause for thought!

Cal_in_CarmelCA
First Poster
Options

Even more baffling, my sister's 65" Samsung was able to play a video twice, then stopped playing on the third time.  The TV refused to be found by the Web Video Caster app .  My 55" Samsung as no problem.  Go figure.  And this my friends was why the Star Wars Initiave was cancellled.  It's only software.

0 Likes
SprocketEvens
Student
Options

@Chris M

That’s like asking if your computer is plugged in. Lead with that but answer the question. 

Scaaty84
First Poster
Options

Just chatted with Samsung support. Their answer to my question "what happened to being able to Chromecast to my UN58MU6070" is "you never could cast to the TV, it NEVER had the ability to do this". 

Despite the fact that I had done this multiple times in the past, used it regularly in fact. Just haven't used it for a while. So Samsung just rewrites history and says it never happened. Another mark against buying Samsung products.

0 Likes
FlaXXMaN
First Poster
Options

@Scaaty84

Technically the Samsung rep was correct - Samsung TV's have NEVER had Chromecast built in. However I think you are just referring to being able to 'CAST' to the TV directly from the YouTube App. 

I too have the same issue, used to work, but has stopped now - doesn't show up as an option on my phone to Cast to... Going to try and reset the app in the TV and see if that makes any difference.