Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Q80T - Buzzing noize

(Topic created on: 01-12-2020 08:03 AM)
Steviegee
First Poster
Options

Hi! 

When I first bought my 75" Q80T about 2 months ago i noticed that it was a buzzing noice (coil?) from back of the tv when built in app for Netflix was active.  

The tv was muted so it was not from the speakers. 

That buzzing dissappeard with the latest software update 1304. 

It was also buzzing in Ambient-mode. That didn't dissapear though. 

Yesterday it was back again, but now the buzzing is there all the time and not just Netflix and Ambient-mode. But, it is only there in Movie picture mode. 

The buzzing could be described as a high feequenzy sound and is very anoying. 

Anyone else got this problems? I've read in US Samsung community about the Netflix issue, but not seen anything about the Movie picture mode. Yet... 

18 REPLIES 18
BigZia
Journeyman
Options

Bought a 75q8dt last week and having the same issue with loud buzzing noise in game mode and apps. Disappointed with Samsung’s reluctancy to address and fix this issue. Highly disappointed. 
Is this a hardware issue or software? Did I just get a lemon? Or are all of this mode series doing the same thing?

EKH84
Apprentice
Options

Same here … but with the Q80A. Buzzing static kind of metallic sound when using HDMI 4 and everything turned on (4k, 120, HDR & VRR) with my Xbox Series X

anyone hears of a fix? Return the panel? 😞

Adam4882
Journeyman
Options

It literally only happened to me once and that was it. Maybe you need an update? Have you checked for an update?

Adam4882
Journeyman
Options

I had the same issue only one time but while in the Netflix app. After a software update mine hasn’t done it again mate. Is yours still doing it? 

BigZia
Journeyman
Options

Hello. Unfortunately mine is still doing it. It’s on the latest software. It is very prominent at night time watching tv in bed. During the day it’s not noticeable because there’s more background noise. From what I’ve read, this is very common with this model in Samsung. Sucks that Samsung will not acknowledge and provide a remedy. Might be the last time I buy a high end Samsung tv. 

Adam4882
Journeyman
Options

Oh wow. I feel for you man, mine was at night as well. Made me jump actually as it was so loud. I feel for you mate and if mine continued to do it or still if it does it again I will switch to LG. Their OLED panels look very impressive. I hope a fix becomes available at some point man, at least this tread is still going in case some body does. 

EKH84
Apprentice
Options

Only when gaming xbox or pc … @ 4k 120hz VRR …

i have latest sw update (no more updates available …) really annoying. Will contact samsung tomorrow.

i am very pleased with the panel, but its not bearable with the whine coil sound at night gaming on low volume ..

anyone have any other tips?

0 Likes
sammysungsux
Apprentice
Options

I high an extremely annoying high pitched whine that occurs when the TV is in game mode using my Xbox XS. I reported it to Samsung in February (under warranty) and had a tech come three different times. First time he replaced the mother board (didn't work), second time replaced the power supply (didn't work), third time replaced the display. After replacing the display, the noise had gone away. I don't play the Xbox often (I won it) and when I turned it on 7 months later, the noise was back. I called again and they informed me it was out of warranty but after explaining it was the same issue, they had a tech come at no charge. The tech replaced the motherboard again and it still made the noise. Samsung issued an exchange number and called me to inform me I would only a prorated amount as a refund ($500 less than I paid 14 months ago). I escalated it to the "Office of the President" and Milargos still refused to refund the full amount even though I reported the problem during my warranty period and it still had not been fixed. I am extremely frustrated since it is a major hassle to take down and put up the TV since I can not do it myself. So now I must figure out how to get it down, then they pick it up, I only get a partial refund, and I have to buy and mount a new TV.  Does anyone know how to fix this? It blows my mind they are willing to loose a loyal customer over $500.

0 Likes
K30SX87
Apprentice
Options

@Steviegee wrote:

Hi! 

When I first bought my 75" Q80T about 2 months ago i noticed that it was a buzzing noice (coil?) from back of the tv when built in app for Netflix was active.  

The tv was muted so it was not from the speakers. 

That buzzing dissappeard with the latest software update 1304. 

It was also buzzing in Ambient-mode. That didn't dissapear though. 

Yesterday it was back again, but now the buzzing is there all the time and not just Netflix and Ambient-mode. But, it is only there in Movie picture mode. 

The buzzing could be described as a high feequenzy sound and is very anoying. 

Anyone else got this problems? I've read in US Samsung community about the Netflix issue, but not seen anything about the Movie picture mode. Yet... 

The problem is NFX LOCK MODE in the service menu under EPA menu (for the service mechanic). Its on 0 but needs to be 1.

For user its the setting local dimming. If this is on High set it on Low.

Or turn off intelligent mode cause this uses local dimming also. 

With every update the problem returns. I have the 65Q95T. 

0 Likes