Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

**Samsung 2020 Series TV Motion/Judder/Stutter/Frame Rate (Firmware Bug/Glitch)**

(Topic created on: 07-09-2020 03:49 PM)
Daveyboy123
Navigator
Options

Good afternoon. 

ive recently purchased a Q90T. I came from a 2015 Samsung which had no frame rate issues at all. 

The Q90T is great in every way apart from when watching Freesat or Now TV. Both of these broadcast in 50hz/50p. So I assume it’s something to do with this frame rate. 

what happens is that when there is a small amount of motion on screen such as an interview or no panning etc then the screen shows something similar to the frame rate dropping in half and everything stuttering. Once motion picks up or shot pans around then it goes back to normal. 

I had all picture clarity settings set to off but I then played around with settings such as judder reduction and blur reduction etc to see if I could eliminate the stutter but nothing works. 

its really bad watching football on free sat or now tv as it’s stutters quite a lot. 

weirdly, not all programmes stutter. I’ve watched some catch up tv on now tv as well as movies and these show perfectly without any stuttering and all content on Netflix etc are all fine as well. 

I am on the latest firmware. 

any ideas if this is common or if there is a fix as nothing I’ve tried works. 

thank you 

Go to solution
477 REPLIES 477
dave42358
Journeyman
Options

Has anyone identified some common test footage we can all try to verify the problem?

I was thinking that it was only my old Humax HDR-Fox T2 causing the movement issue but one of the test sequences I had recorded on the Humax I then searched for on the NetFlix Smart app and the same thing happens. So it's not my Humax thankfully.

The footage in this case was acually an episode of Friends.

Friends S4, E23
12:28 onwards. Watch Rachel's phone as she walks across the kitchen. On my Q90T the phone flickers really badly. Would be interesting if others could try this sequence and see if the same thing happens.

0 Likes
Tomscarborough
Pioneer
Options

Hi Dave ...

I kept an episode of the chase where it happened in a panning downwards shot ... just in case an engineer wanted it demonstrating ... just checked and the same footage doesn't stutter on my old TV that's now back on the wall or through the projector.

0 Likes
galactus75
First Poster
Options

It there a clip on youtube or similar to verify this issue?

0 Likes
dave42358
Journeyman
Options

Well I've had the "engineer" round and they've just put it down as a "TV limitation" and closed the case saying "we're done, we hope you had a good experience"!  What a joke!

I've now written the following back to Samsung:-

No you're not done and I have not had a good experience!
Nothing has been done to my TV and it still has the fault.

Why will Samsung not acknowledge this issue affecting many (probably all) Q90T TVs?

I have supplied a lot of information, video clip and photo of the movement processing issue and links to two Internet forums where a lot of people are complaining about the issue.
It is also notable that many people on those forums are reporting a similar lack of customer service and an unwillingness from Samsung to acknowledge the problem let alone solve it.

The movement processing problem is definitely the TV and not the source device. I see the issue whether I'm watching the NetFlix Smart app or my HDMI connected DVR.

If this movement processing problem cannot be solved then I would like to return my TV for refund.
I did not spend this kind of money on a "flagship" 65" TV to have the picture judder and flicker like this. I would be disappointed in the movement processing if this were a budget model.

Please respond with a positive answer and solution to this issue.
Either acknowledge and solve the issue or please refund my TV.

0 Likes
Tomscarborough
Pioneer
Options

Hi Galactus ... not sure about YouTube clips but if you stream any episode of Outlander on Amazon Prime there will be a point in every episode where it stutters and someone mentions in an earlier post EastEnders through BBCi Player.

It is random though and appears to happen on different sources for different people ... don't fully understand why gaming mode fixes it but it did for me ... but why should we put up with a sub standard product that's not performing as advertised. 

0 Likes
Tomscarborough
Pioneer
Options

Had a response from the Senior Customer Services Exec ... Kirsty Caswell of Samsung UK via an email to the CEO ... with their intention to escalate to the "AV head technicians to request their review and comment".

Lets see how that goes, pretty sure someone will have tried before me.

0 Likes
Tomscarborough
Pioneer
Options

Hi Dave ... if you have notified the issue within the first six months of ownership then you are at liberty to reject this TV under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 ... they've now had a look and are unable to rectify the fault ... TV is unfit for purpose ... the law is on your side and I believe evidence of an issue in the public domain (these forums) strengthens your claim.

Don't be fobbed off if you aren't happy with todays outcome.

0 Likes
Daveyboy123
Navigator
Options

Engineer visits are pointless. Someone either said on here or over at av forums that the engineers are told to state the tv is fine or they don’t pay them!!! How true that is I’m not sure but if true that is a very bullish way of treating the engineers and ultimately fobbing off more and more customers. Can anyone else remember reading this? As I say, how much truth is in that I don’t know but that’s what someone posted on one of the forum threads before. 

0 Likes
ODB1001
First Poster
Options

I spent about an hour reading this thread last night because funnily enough I have the exact same issue. I bought the TV in April and noticed it immediatley when watching football on Sky. The issue did seem to improve, but after watching the Holland match on ITV HD last night I found myself looking online as it was so bad which is when I came across this thread. I've noticed that there's an upgrade file on the support website https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/QE55Q90TATXXU/  ver 2014.1 dated June 16th, does anyone know if this is a brand new patch and what it includes? When I scan for software updates on my TV nothing comes up even though it's not on this version. My TV is on 1497.

0 Likes
Tomscarborough
Pioneer
Options

I came across this thread on the AVForum yesterday also, you might get more details on there.

0 Likes