Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

QN94A TV switching off with BBC iPlayer

(Topic created on: 07-02-2022 12:55 PM)
g0akc
Navigator
Options

Our new QN94A TV keeps turning itself off mid way through watching different content on BBC iPlayer using the TV's own app. It's done it several times now.

I thought it might be the auto power off  - though there had been interaction/remote presses within the time set (4 hours)  - including to launch the app.

There was no dialogue box each time - TV just went dark/off - I had to turn TV back on with remote and relaunch the app to resume playing the programme.  It doesn't happen at any particular part of the programme.

I have the auto power off dialogue box come up when watching via a Virgin set top box - that at least gave me the chance to press a button on the remote to continue viewing.

Any ideas?

For now I've disabled the auto power off feature to see if that resolve it.  We are unlikely to forget to turn it off anyway.

76 REPLIES 76
xSteveuk
Mastermind
Options
g0akc
Navigator
Options

Thanks - but none of the suggestions there applies.

0 Likes
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Hi @g0akc   It may be the Auto Power of which has caused the issue . If still problems Are you using the Beta version of iplayer or the standard version, you could check the other version to see if that makes any difference.   Another idea would be a Factory Reset.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

0 Likes
g0akc
Navigator
Options

Thanks, I’ll check those things. The TV is only 5 days old.  Apps as came from factory. Showed no updates needed. Ethernet connection to router. 200meg broadband.

Seeing how it goes with auto power off though currently it looks like a bug causing a shutdown….

g0akc
Navigator
Options

App shows as latest version - not Beta - option to delete it appears to be greyed out. Clicked on re-install instead - not sure how much of a re-install it was as user credentials were still there.

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options
@g0akc oh right,still best to reinstall. On an older model within the app itself there is option to use Beta version via settings.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

0 Likes
g0akc
Navigator
Options

The TV hasn't switched off since changing the auto power off setting - I will keep monitoring.

If it was due to the auto power off - It does beg the questions:

• Why remote control button presses (to start to iPlayer app and select programme) were seemingly ignored by the auto power off timer
  • Why there was no dialogue box asking about continuing watching rather than the TV just powering down.
g0akc
Navigator
Options

This fault has occurred again tonight.  The TV had been working alright through the day, with a Virgin Media box (watching sports and Netflix). I switched to using the TVs own app for BBC iPlayer. About 40 minutes into a programme and issue happened - TV switched itself off.  I had to power back on from standby and resume (I resumed the programme on the Virgin box copy of the app instead of on the telly itself).

The auto power off feature is turned off.

This definitely appears to be a bug/fault with the app on this TV which is a month old.

How can I raise this into Samsung for investigation/resolution?  I hope to bypass more basic troubleshooting if possible.

0 Likes
Mipal
Apprentice
Options

I am having the exact same problem. I have had the TV about 2 months. I also have made sure the auto off is not enabled.

It happened about four times last night but so far today it has not reoccurred.

I wonder whether it is the TV or Iplayer?

0 Likes