Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with turning ON the TV with Alexa / Smarthings / SmartView

(Topic created on: 17-05-2020 03:38 AM)
Alver79
First Poster
Options

Hello all.

So, I have a 55inch Samsung TV (UE55KU6400SXXH) which I just paired with an Echo Dot via Smarthings.

The only thing I can do with Alexa however is just to turn OFF the TV. When I ask to turn it on, it says that the TV is not responding and I should check if it is connected to the power supply and the network. The TV is connected to the internet with an Ethernet cable and I also tried with WiFi but without any success either.

At the same time, I CANNOT turn on the TV using either Smarthings or Smarthings Classic Apps with my iPhone 8.

However, I can turn it ON, remotely using Samsung SMART VIEW APP (ver. 2.1.6.0), when I click on the TV.

So, since my TV can turn on remotely using the smart view app then why it cannot turn on using any other of Samsung's APPs or Alexa.

Any ideas?

Thank you for your time!

Alex

p.s. It appears that Alexa cannot do many things with this model, other than OFF/ON*. Is that the case? i.e. Change inputs, volume adjustments etc

6 REPLIES 6
Moni19
First Poster
Options

I have the same issue so why is Samsung not responding to these questions ? 

Gxyzod
First Poster
Options

I also have the same issue. Have found no solution.

Sometimes, if switching of from the SmartThings app, I can switch it back on again always via SmartThings. But this, that now no longer works with the last update, was possible only within 30 min of when it was switched off.

Solutions?

0 Likes
DarrMurp
Student
Options

Hi, I have come up with a work around, I use an Android box connected via HDMI to my TV, I can control this via a smart plug that talks to my Alexa, when I tell Android box to turn on via the smart plug through Alexa it turns the TV also :smiling-face:

Basically Smart plugs may help you! 

0 Likes
DarrMurp
Student
Options

@Alver79 wrote:

Hello all.

So, I have a 55inch Samsung TV (UE55KU6400SXXH) which I just paired with an Echo Dot via Smarthings.

The only thing I can do with Alexa however is just to turn OFF the TV. When I ask to turn it on, it says that the TV is not responding and I should check if it is connected to the power supply and the network. The TV is connected to the internet with an Ethernet cable and I also tried with WiFi but without any success either.

At the same time, I CANNOT turn on the TV using either Smarthings or Smarthings Classic Apps with my iPhone 8.

However, I can turn it ON, remotely using Samsung SMART VIEW APP (ver. 2.1.6.0), when I click on the TV.

So, since my TV can turn on remotely using the smart view app then why it cannot turn on using any other of Samsung's APPs or Alexa.

Any ideas?

Thank you for your time!

Alex

p.s. It appears that Alexa cannot do many things with this model, other than OFF/ON*. Is that the case? i.e. Change inputs, volume adjustments etc

0 Likes
DarrMurp
Student
Options

Hi, I use an Android box connected via HDMI to my TV, I can control this via a smart plug that talks to my Alexa, when I tell Android box to turn on via the smart plug through Alexa it turns the TV also :smiling-face:

@Moni19 wrote:

I have the same issue so why is Samsung not responding to these questions ? 

0 Likes
Charles12
Apprentice
Options

I have found to workarounds. The first is to purchase a Broadcom  RM4C which works many Devices including Samsung TVs that operate using IR control. This is easily integrated into Alexa. The second is to download an app into IFTTT which switches on Samsung TVs using Google. Then set up a routine on Alexa which invites Google to switch on the TV. This is the least elegant but the cheapest if you have a Google device.

0 Likes