Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Potential Major Issue with 2020 Samsung tv's with One Connect and eARC

(Topic created on: 08-07-2021 09:57 PM)
Mike2020
Explorer
Options

Hi All

Posted previously about my experience with a Q95T and Sonos Arc, and connecting via eARC. On enabling eARC to Auto on the Sound Settings, no sound is output from the device and thats from any source, in built apps/Dolby Atmos/4K Blu etc.

On turning eARC off, sound is restored through the soundbar.

I have contacted Sonos and Samsung directly with both blaming the other party for the issue and that's disappointing. 

On discussions with both communities, it now appears that users with the Q80T can connect via eARC, however many users with Q95T and Frame 2020 models cannot get sound via the eARC so potentially a big issue.

This also now sounds like a Samsung issue, as the standard eARC function not talking to the Sonos Arc via one connect, but other Samsung models are talking to Sonos Arc. I have seen evidence of this on a Q80T where eARC is working and the device shows as Reciever (HDMI eARC), on the Q95T, on setting to Auto you get Reciever HDMI.

Can this be escalated to samsung please as quite a lot of users are affected and returning tv's for other mfrs models?

Thanks

Mike

414 REPLIES 414
swemichael08
Apprentice
Options

Update - My now sold TV was a UE55MU7005 and it had issues with Google TV dongle and my Pioneer Atmos Receiver S520 - I was really happy with the TV look and feel and picture quality and feel very dissapointed I had to let it go due to the HDMI issues.

I still have a UE65 Q70R and it works okay with Google TV but do not work with atmos receiver Pioneer VSX-LX503 not outputting multichannel format as DD+ or Atmos only sending out audio in Stereo format via HDMI ARC to be decoded by very old dolby surround format that was standard 25 years ago together with VHS/DVD players.

Intresting is that the Q70R was able to output Atmos last year from Netflix and Youtube during a short period - but Q70R had bogus issues with UHD content making the picture very dark. A firmware update fixed the UHD issues but instead removed the support for Atmos therefore I had to purchase a Nvidia Shield Pro to be connected directly to the Pioneer. Wondering if Samsung remove support for Atmos due to license costs or why do they not care or having proper support for modern Dolby formats or is it an hardware issue that cannot be fixed with software?

So dissapointing Samsung - and now with having a new Philips set that just works with perfect sound, dolby vision, UHD, Atmos, Dolby digital out of the box its amazing - I can now focus on enjoying movies with perfect picture and sound quality.

Now I will soon stop posting here glad I have move forward to other brand - will try to get rid/sell my Q70R as soon as possible if I get a good price for it swapping it out for a Philips or Sony (I want built in Android TV so therefore no LG).

0 Likes
mdiiorio
Voyager
Options

Hi. This eARC issue is still active. What a shame Samsung! When do you plan to fix it? 

Xavier77323
Explorer
Options

Don’t think they even respond in forums. Still can’t believe eARC is not fixed. For me, my tv (Q95T) is somewhat fixed. Sometimes there’s no sound so I have to restart the tv or change audio outputs to resolve the problem.Other users have far worse then what I’m experiencing.

My main concern is LPCM. Every time I change the output to pass through, it only shows stereo pcm. I would advise to return the tv and buy from a different brand.

0 Likes
GizmoBrown
Apprentice
Options

Since the Sonos firmware update, my frequent loss of audio through eArc has been greatly reduced. Now the only time it happens is when I turn the TV on after it's been off for a while and there's no sound. I unplug the Sonso Arc and sound resumes. I have not lost sound in the midst of a program since the sonos update, as it used to happen frequently before. 

0 Likes
WATTS1204
Explorer
Options

Spent £4000 on a TV with stupid issue like this it’s disgusting Samsung shame on you!!

mdiiorio
Voyager
Options

Welcome to the club. 3000€ here.

0 Likes
WATTS1204
Explorer
Options

Thing is I got it working somehow, I set the TV as follows:

eArc : Auto

Hdmi pass through 

Dolby Atmos Compatible button ticked

Everything worked on and my PS 5 set to Linear so was doing uncompressed 7.1 on the PS5.

today I can’t even get LINEAR working on PS5 so had to set PS5 to Dolby so I only get 5.1 channels (as my amp is set to atmos).

linear is the setting with pass through needed.

How can it just stop working?

Samsung have a terrible development team these issues have been going on way too long. Such a shame as visually the TV is excellent!

QN85 85 inch QLED nano using the VA panel being 85 inches I get the VA panel.

The issue that needs fixing is either:

pass through or eArc or both.

Samsung sort your head out!

mdiiorio
Voyager
Options

Are you sure it worked? I saw in many forums, and even here, that when you do that you only get 2.0.

0 Likes
WATTS1204
Explorer
Options

I am 1000% positive as my solicited said:

Linear PCM 7.1 for PS5

ams when watching Netflix Atmos as I had the “Atmos compatible” on at same time in the sound settings.

It didn’t work at first then it was playing everything as it should.

one thing I did notice is sometimes it would get stuck on no sound so I had to change source to hdmi3 which is the amp where my sky Q is also connect  direct to my amp then amp to HDMi  3.

it’ was like switching HDMi sources then going back to Netflix would reset the freeze.

at a guess auto configuration isn’t coming off a setting and is conflicting with another source selection not changing to what it needs to be on.

But yes 100% certain pass through was working I had Linear (uncompressed 7.1 on my PS5.

It tells me there is Hope / potential if Samsung get off their lazy ass and code the firmware properly.

WATTS1204
Explorer
Options

I should state I have a QN85A without the breakout box so slightly different model but plagued with same intermittent pass through bug.

I turned off my PS5 and restarted (not soft off) and also unplugged TV and plugged back in and I have set the settings back to pass through and linear on ps5 and I have awesome uncompressed 7.1 and no lag on sound.

Just need to test on Netflix and sky but seems if it breaks a Samsung TV hard unplug and plug back in might do the trick so unplug and try it.

0 Likes