Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor/buggy local dimming performance in Game Mode across 2018/2019/2020 Samsung FALD sets

(Topic created on: 23-08-2020 07:06 AM)
SeeNoWeevil
Explorer
Options

If you frequent these boards or any other AV forums, you will notice an abundance of posts complaining about the quality/bugginess of local dimming while in game mode on Samsung FALD sets from the 2018 Q9FN, to the 2019 Q90R (particularly the Q90R) and now the 2020 T series. These issues mostly show themselves in HDR content with the biggest complaint being excessive blooming in dark scenes, a greyish hue over the picture/lack of contrast and/or the picture dimming down to nothing over time.

I wanted to create a single thread where people could make it clear that they are not happy with the current situation of lousy game mode performance on very expensive sets that are often heralded as being great for gamers. I completely understand that there needs to be *some* trade off in game mode to achieve the desired low latency but, currently it seems like Samsung are doing all they can to hit the lowest lag figures completely at the expense quality. I firmly believe this is due to how many TV reviewers focus so much on these figures as a metric for how good a TV is for gaming, ignoring (barely testing?) the overall image quality across different scenes. If it's not possible to hit these headline figures without serious compromise in image quality then I urge Samsung to consider giving the users the option to prioritise image quality or speed. The Q90 has 3 dimming presets low/med/high and they're all the same! I imagine this is the case with the others too. They could easily be used to offer some user choice here. I can't speak for everyone but not every game needs 10ms response time. Many single player games would benefit from a mode that sacrafices some of this latency (and perhaps even peak brightness) to give a presentation that is closer to Movie mode.

It's not even consistent, you've released updates that have actually made game mode WORSE on some sets. Combine this with the fact that your TVs will update to new firmwares without the user's permission. This is a pretty awful situation. 

Please Samsung, plug a PC into these TVs, watch a varying bunch of youtube HDR game videos and compare game mode with movie mode and see exactly how many issues you can see. I know you can do better than this. If this doesn't improve, my willingness to purchase another high-end set from you will drop to near zero.

If the moderators @AntS  ? could pass this to the engineers, that would be a start. Thanks.

11 REPLIES 11
jayh89
Helping Hand
Options

There is a thread of this already that is one of the most contributed to threads on here. It’s a major issue and my Q85T suffers from it. I just hope a fix is soon. 

Jasonseery
Helping Hand
Options
Between phones and tvs samsumg is going down hill, I'll be shopping for a new tv soon and its not samsung and either Will my next phone be, Samsung never write back or fix half of the issues but just bring new things out and the old models of what ever get left in the past unfixed
0 Likes
Suriya
Voyager
Options

Only one word SCAMSUNG.

HDR game-mode dimming bug is killing the gaming experience on my q95t even with game motion ON it is happening

SeeNoWeevil
Explorer
Options

People need to be made aware of issues like this. Until TV reviewers start taking gaming seriously, Samsung have little incentive to improve things. While there are lots of individual threads on these issues, I want to make it clear that big problems exist across all their recent FALD panels and do not want Samsung to just focus on one particular display, while leaving the others.

DRACON1C
Explorer
Options

@SeeNoWeevil 

Q9FN here and I agree with all your post man. Samsung thinks us stupid, I guess. There are serious software problems in this Fald series TVs.

HDR game mode brightness sucks and there are serious picture quality issues.

SeeNoWeevil
Explorer
Options

It's so frustrating to see reviewers keep giving this stuff a pass, or just straight up not paying attention to issues in gaming modes.

ultra3000
Apprentice
Options

I'm deeply disappointed about this TV .. if you use a PC (+GM) and turn on a windows screensaver with black background you can see the issue .. it absolutely looks *****. 

AzazelPL
Explorer
Options

I have Q90T and local dimming in Game Mode is horrible. The dark games with bright HUD elements looks blue and blooming is very distracting. I cant return my tv, but if Samsung will not fix dimming algorithm maybe with cost of 5-10 ms to imput lag, I will sale this tv because my FullHD 2014 tv was better then this.

Bereet
First Poster
Options

My Q90R was not too bad to start with, after update 1372.2 it has literally destroyed my gaming experience, very bad blooming and constantly jumping from blacks looking great, to full screen grey which is very distracting. Wish someone could find how to control the dimming for game mode from the service menu, something on there must control it, i have spoke to Samsung about many issues, none of which they seem interested in so dont count on a fix for this. Why not give US the option to have slightly more lag but far better image quality, people who like the low input lag can choose to leave it as is. Just makes no sense to take away one of the main features that contributes to the image quality away from a mode they highlight as a selling point. Plus for a flag ship tv, features are not updated, after 3 or 4 years maybe but after 1 whole year thats it? No Earc support, filmmaker mode, hgig support. I have defended this tv and brand long enough, i genuinely do have buyers remorse. Samsung, all about your money couldn't give a fůçķ about your experience after that.

0 Likes