Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Optical audio no volume control

(Topic created on: 18-03-2020 03:05 PM)
drou
Pioneer
Options

My TV is UE 50 RU7402. My speakers are Edifier R1280DB.

If I connect them through optical (toslink), I can't control the volume with Samsung's One remote. When I press volume up or down, the tv shows on screen the word "optical" and nothing happens.

Is there a way to control the volume?

If I understand correctly, when I search through TV settings it is possible to control speakers or AV receivers from other brands when connected with optical cable. So the optical connection  isn't "fixed". Why not having it "open" for all brands?

Is this going to change in the future with an update?

P.S. If I connect them through bluetooth I can control the volume with One remote just fine. But I prefer the sound through optical. Also, I have to re-pair the speakers every time I power on the TV.

141 REPLIES 141
drou
Pioneer
Options

That is the worst part. You choose the worst option (bluetooth) and even that doesn't work properly. You have to reconnect to bluetooth every time you power on the tv and the message for the pairing takes about 7 sec after the tv is fully on.

Also, not everyone in the house has the habbit to power off the speakers when they power off the tv. So if you have speakers with no led on the face of the speakers, you don't know if they are on or off. So, you have to wait 7 sec and if the message doesn't show up then you power the speakers on and wait another 7 sec for the message to appear.

At least Samsung could add memory to audio source and auto-connect to bluetooth speakers or show a message that it can't find the speakers when they are off. It's just firmware update.

But this problem continues for years. Really bad customer support. If I knew before I bought the tv...

0 Likes
arankaspar1
First Poster
Options

Yes! This is great. Go to Sources and then Universal Remote. Choose the brand and then it will try to confirm it has turned off the amp by doing a test. It asks, did it turn off? First time didn't work for me so I clicked the No response. Clicked Retry test and the 2nd or 3rd time it turned off the amp. That allowed me to control the volume now with the samsung remote on my old Kenwood KR-V8540. Can't turn the power on and off with it but ***** at least the volume. I got a "eco" power strip that turns the amp off when the Master outlet (TV) isn't on. 

0 Likes
Rich2000
Student
Options

Same problem.  Can't set up edifier optical speakers in samsung universal remote TV settings.  Edifier doesn't come up as a brand. Even after resetting 

drou
Pioneer
Options

Your problem is even worse, since Edifier doesn't come up as a brand. But even if it came up it wouldn't work.

And it's not just Edifier. Whatever brand you have, it is doubtful that will work. Even with Samsung soundbars, there is a chance that the volume control will be problematic.

Unfortunately, don't expect a fix.

0 Likes
maleke-lekhotla
First Poster
Options

This doesn't work because my TV has not option for "universal remote". Is there something I'm missing? Or is there another solution?

0 Likes
Musaerd
Apprentice
Options

I do have same problem. Edifier was not showing even the brands even after searching. I have just searched for "E" and chose view more brands then it came. I did the pairing but unfortunately it does not work. This is really annoying. 

0 Likes
felimpo
First Poster
Options

I had the same problem with a Samsung Qled TV 75” and a Bowers & Wilkins sound bar, I solved using the B&W App, I followed the instructions and, actually, I programed the xfinity remote to control my audio. So I think the solution is not in the TV but in the audio system. I hope this finding is useful.

0 Likes
drou
Pioneer
Options

I'm sorry but, using a 3rd party app and a 3rd party remote control is a solution but not the solution I (and propably others) am looking for. You could also buy a dac and hope it works with the speakers you have. And keep in mind that Samsung's One remote sells for around 40-50 euros. With that price, that you pay when you buy the tv, the "One" should work with all devices.

My complaint is that Samsung doesn't care to solve a problem that has being pointed out years ago and it has to do with software. When Samsung decided to ditch RCA and 3.5 audio jack it should at least make the optical port "variable" to all brands. Instead the software makes it act weird. For some models acts like "variable" and for some acts like "fixed".

Bottom line, all I wanted was to buy a tv, hook my speakers and control the volume with the same remote control. Like I did 15 years ago. Instead, I had to learn all sort of tech staff that I shouldn't have, in order to find a solution that doesn't exist.

0 Likes
PedroNeves
Apprentice
Options

I have a UE49NU7675 and I managed to configure my Edifier R1850DB to work through optical with Samsung remote. The volume and mute work OK but I was expecting to control the speakers power on and off with the remote.

While configuring the remote it was possible to turn off the speakers, why I can't do it after???

Samsung please let us to turn on and off ours speaker by infrared like I can for a TV box.

drou
Pioneer
Options

Did you make it work through optical connection or through bluetooth? If it was through optical can you tell us how?