Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Optical audio no volume control

(Topic created on: 18-03-2020 03:05 PM)
drou
Pioneer
Options

My TV is UE 50 RU7402. My speakers are Edifier R1280DB.

If I connect them through optical (toslink), I can't control the volume with Samsung's One remote. When I press volume up or down, the tv shows on screen the word "optical" and nothing happens.

Is there a way to control the volume?

If I understand correctly, when I search through TV settings it is possible to control speakers or AV receivers from other brands when connected with optical cable. So the optical connection  isn't "fixed". Why not having it "open" for all brands?

Is this going to change in the future with an update?

P.S. If I connect them through bluetooth I can control the volume with One remote just fine. But I prefer the sound through optical. Also, I have to re-pair the speakers every time I power on the TV.

141 REPLIES 141
PedroNeves
Apprentice
Options

I'm sorry, through Optical connection. Bluetooth also works very well but always ask to connect at start... 

0 Likes
drou
Pioneer
Options

Do you remember how you did it through optical?

0 Likes
PedroNeves
Apprentice
Options

Home - Source - Remote Control Configuration - New - Home Theater - Search for edifier - More devices - select Edifier

Now try the shutdown test, if don't work press no and try again. For me it worked at 3rd try.

Helsko
First Poster
Options

Thank you for this thread and replies, this solved my problem with the Q82R and an ancient Teufel Decoderstation 3. For me it worked at the 10th try

drou
Pioneer
Options

Glad to hear this thread helped you.

0 Likes
Iceman1680
First Poster
Options

There is a way. 

It’s a bit gimmicky but it does work. What you have to do is add the soundbar using the universal remote but make sure you add a home theatre system with either cable or blue ray player...not just home theatre alone. 

So when it asks you if you want to connect the cable or blue ray player through a home theatre system or directly to the tv you select through the home theatre system. Even though it will be connected via optical cable, when it asks which connection will the home theatre use just select whatever hdmi port you are using for your cable or blue ray player. When it asks to do the power button test it should power down properly. At that point the volume should work. 

Good luck!

0 Likes
drou
Pioneer
Options

No luck! 😀

I did tried that way before and I tried it again now (in case something changed in the latest update). But, no volume control.

Thanks for your input though.

Glad it worked for you, and hopefully for someone else.

0 Likes
Iceman1680
First Poster
Options

Ok try this. Remove all input types and universal remotes. When you do that, the TV should ask you to setup a cable box and walk you through the steps. At that point follow my previous instructions by setting up cable with home theatre system. This is eventually what worked for me by adding my Apple TV as a “cable box” and adding my Yamaha soundbar as a “home theatre.” 

The method is definitely convoluted as I’ve had this setup properly done initially a few years ago but then had to redo it because of new equipment and had trouble getting it setup again just yesterday. Stumbled across this forum while trying to find the fix so decided to post what worked. Did take me over half an hour of trial and error. 

0 Likes
drou
Pioneer
Options

I was about to hit “accept as solution”, but… it worked for the satellite box while everything else – pc, Netflix and other apps – has no sound at all. So, I can’ t use this solution.

But for anyone that wants to know, those are the steps I followed based on your method:

1) with the tv on, unplug sat-box’s hdmi cable and speakers’ optical cable.

2) turn off the tv, unplug it’s power cable from wall socket and wait 1-2 minutes.

3) plug the power cable and turn the tv on.

4) make sure that the speakers are powered on and are set in the optical source. Plug the speakers’ optical cable and check from tv’s “home menu -> settings” that the audio is set to optical.

5) make sure that the sat-box is powered on. Plug the sat-box’s hdmi cable. Try first with the one that says ARC.

6) it will ask you to configure the universal remote control for the new source – meaning the sat-box. If it doesn’t ask you, go from home menu –> source -> universal remote -> new device, and follow the next steps.

7) choose cable/satellite box -> via home theater system -> select the brand of you speakers, in my case is Edifier (it is not on the list so I choose “search brand” -> type “Edifier” -> show more brands -> choose “edifier”) -> select the hdmi port where you plugged the sat-box ->  aim the remote control to your speakers and hit “power test” -> check if your speakers powered off and if they did hit “Yes” and jump to the steps after the parenthesis. (You can do the power test 4 times. If after the fourth time, the speakers didn’t power off, choose “search model number” -> type your speaker’s model for me is R1280DB -> show more model numbers -> choose your model -> power test and hit “Yes” when your speakers turn off) -> choose your tv provider -> next channel and hit the channel button on the remote control while you aim your sat-box. When the channel in the little screen changes hit “yes”. You might have to search for the model number of your box like it is described above. In the case of the speakers.-> Finish.

8 now, if you look at the home menu you should see something like “TV Provider’s Name – Edifier”

9) turn on your speakers. You will have to use their own remote or power button. Make sure they are set to optical source. Then go to tv’s home menu -> settings and check if the sound is set to optical.

10) test if the remote controls the volume. You might have to wait for a few seconds.

Since this is a weird solution at any step it might not work for you. At first, try to follow it to the letter. If it doesn’t work follow it again but choose another hdmi port. If it doesn’t work again then you are out of luck.

This solution confirms that the problem is on the software side and not the hardware. Samsung fix it already.

drou
Pioneer
Options

I was about to hit “accept as solution”, but… it worked for the satellite box while everything else – pc, Netflix and other apps – has no sound at all. So, I can’ t use this solution.

But for anyone that wants to know, those are the steps I followed based on your method:

1) with the tv on, unplug sat-box’s hdmi cable and speakers’ optical cable.

2) turn off the tv, unplug it’s power cable from wall socket and wait 1-2 minutes.

3) plug the power cable and turn the tv on.

4) make sure that the speakers are powered on and are set in the optical source. Plug the speakers’ optical cable and check from tv’s “home menu -> settings” that the audio is set to optical.

5) make sure that the sat-box is powered on. Plug the sat-box’s hdmi cable. Try first with the one that says ARC.

6) it will ask you to configure the universal remote control for the new source – meaning the sat-box. If it doesn’t ask you, go from home menu –> source -> universal remote -> new device, and follow the next steps.

7) choose cable/satellite box -> via home theater system -> select the brand of you speakers, in my case is Edifier (it is not on the list so I choose “search brand” -> type “Edifier” -> show more brands -> choose “edifier”) -> select the hdmi port where you plugged the sat-box ->  aim the remote control to your speakers and hit “power test” -> check if your speakers powered off and if they did hit “Yes” and jump to the steps after the parenthesis. (You can do the power test 4 times. If after the fourth time, the speakers didn’t power off, choose “search model number” -> type your speaker’s model for me is R1280DB -> show more model numbers -> choose your model -> power test and hit “Yes” when your speakers turn off) -> choose your tv provider -> next channel and hit the channel button on the remote control while you aim your sat-box. When the channel in the little screen changes hit “yes”. You might have to search for the model number of your box like it is described above. In the case of the speakers.-> Finish.

8 now, if you look at the home menu you should see something like “TV Provider’s Name – Edifier”

9) turn on your speakers. You will have to use their own remote or power button. Make sure they are set to optical source. Then go to tv’s home menu -> settings and check if the sound is set to optical.

10) test if the remote controls the volume. You might have to wait for a few seconds.

Since this is a weird solution at any step it might not work for you. At first, try to follow it to the letter. If it doesn’t work follow it again but choose another hdmi port. If it doesn’t work again then you are out of luck.

This solution confirms that the problem is on the software side and not the hardware. Samsung fix it already.