Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Optical audio no volume control

(Topic created on: 18-03-2020 03:05 PM)
drou
Pioneer
Options

My TV is UE 50 RU7402. My speakers are Edifier R1280DB.

If I connect them through optical (toslink), I can't control the volume with Samsung's One remote. When I press volume up or down, the tv shows on screen the word "optical" and nothing happens.

Is there a way to control the volume?

If I understand correctly, when I search through TV settings it is possible to control speakers or AV receivers from other brands when connected with optical cable. So the optical connection  isn't "fixed". Why not having it "open" for all brands?

Is this going to change in the future with an update?

P.S. If I connect them through bluetooth I can control the volume with One remote just fine. But I prefer the sound through optical. Also, I have to re-pair the speakers every time I power on the TV.

138 REPLIES 138
Sportkalad
First Poster
Options

Hello

I found a solution after an hour or so

I have a Samsung tv and Samsung J series sound bar I wanted to connect via optical cable and use the one remote for tv to control the optical volume of the sound bar.

You go to source / remote control then set up home cinema and optical sound and it connects.

The solution is better explained in this video (although this was for a sonos sound bar on Samsung tv)

https://youtu.be/lDDFhersXMs

You can also make your Samsung sound bar automatically switch on with the tv.

drou
Pioneer
Options

That's one of the first videos I tried. It's not working.

If you have a Samsung soundbar, according to Samsung those are the steps you should try:

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00049272/

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00062384/

0 Likes
Sliderule44
Journeyman
Options

I just got it working.  Watched a You Tube video, Nick and Steve review stuff, how to activate IR in a Samsung One,

I'm sure I can't replicate it, as even with the video, it was trial and error.  Finally worked.  
Samsung still needs to provide remotes that work without all this trial and error process. 

As I said in my comments to that video, when I press volume it now says Optical Sonos, on the screen.  One thing I did differently, was ignore the power test, and just put yes.  I also got a new screen that had the word, optical, above HDMI.  I hit that.  Prior to that, I had always hit HDMI.  For some reason, my DTV HDMI now says game mode.

0 Likes
Sliderule44
Journeyman
Options

Okay.  After finally getting the Sonos One Remote working correctly, I bravely downloaded the IOS Samsung Remote App.  It gave a nice visual working remote from my IPhone.  However, I immediately learned that going to the app, gave me a barrage of ads, on my IPhone.  The ads would replace the virtual remote.  Disgusted, I deleted the app.  I then found that installing the app adversely affected my DTV remote and my older Samsung remote.  The mute/ unmute button no longer works on those remotes.  Removing and replacing the batteries didn't help.  Wish I never installed the virtual remote.

I have the Apple TV remote app installed on my IPhone.  Never had a glitch or an ad.

0 Likes
drou
Pioneer
Options

This is one more proof of how bad the One remote is programmed.

Something similar happened to me when I was trying different settings: the One remote just stopped working. I removed the batteries and re-inserted them, unplugged the TV from power for 3 minutes, and repaired them when I plugged the TV back on (push "back" and "play" buttons at the same time for more than 3 seconds). Then it worked again.

Hipshot
First Poster
Options

THIS IS WHAT WORKS FOR MY TV.   I have a Samsung 8 series 65" with a samsung soundbar.  Once a week I turn on the TV and it has changed the sound to "tv speaker".  When I change it back to "optical", the tv shows the "optical" sign instead of the volume numbers.  I stumbled across this fix for myself.

I went over to the soundbar and on the end of the bar, I SLOWLY ran through the "sources" on the source button.  Twice.  BT, AUX, D.IN etc.  On the second time through, stopping on D.IN (optical) pressed the volume control on the remote and VOILA!  FIXED!  No... I have no idea why.  Once through doesnt work for me, TWICE through like a charm.

This tv jumps to TV speaker at least once a week.  And this solution has never failed.

Hope it works for you!

0 Likes
drou
Pioneer
Options

I tried your fix but unfortunately it didn't work. Maybe it will work for others.

Although if it is problematic with a Samsung soundbar, I doubt it will be successful with other brands.

Anyway, thanks for your reply.

0 Likes
Ivan777_
First Poster
Options

@Samsung, same bug here. Please fix it

dfigueroav21
First Poster
Options

***** I just got a pair of Edifier R2000DB speakers and stumbled across this exact same problem. It is really bugging me off, I tried everything already and still no fix. The power tests change the source to Line 1 or mute the speakers, but there's no volume control at all.

JimBones
Apprentice
Options

Really dissapointing, I also have the Edifier R1280DB and have resorted to bluetooth since optical simply wont work, yet the TV doesn't even auto connect to the bluetooth!!!

0 Likes