Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Dolby Digital if HDMI-CEC is on (PCM still works) - QN95A

(Topic created on: 15-03-2022 10:12 AM)
scrollek
Explorer
Options

Just purchased QN95A (with One Connect Box) and noticed the following behaviour:

When using HDMI-CEC functionality, TV is not sending Dolby Digital audio via either HDMI-ARC or Optical. It is simply dead quiet. PCM audio format works fine. Sometimes there is loud click when audio formats are switched before audio goes silent - like digital noise for a fraction of a second.

When HDMI-CEC is disabled, then I get both PCM and Dolby Digital audio formats via optical cable, HDMI cable in that case is not available for audio at all. The issue exists when HDMI-CEC is enabled on both AVR and TV (This is required to enable swicthing and volume control using TV remote).

Receiver is Yamaha RX-V473 (it suports HDMI-CEC, HDMI-ARC and audio formats ie. PCM, DD, DD+). Everything works without any issues with 2 year old Q80R.

Already tried: 6 various HDMI cables, resets, cold reboots, disconnecting power, etc. TV is on the latest firmware.

There are many posts regarding HDMI-CEC and ARC issues with Samsung TV but I didn't find anything about losing only Dolby Digital while PCM would still be working.

Obviously using only PCM audio format or disabling HDMI-CEC on brand new TV is not an option to me.

Any advice welcome.

26 REPLIES 26
ComoQ
Student
Options

I am having the exact same problems with my new Q80. I have updated the software and it is not working.

0 Likes
gotomasz
First Poster
Options

Po aktualizacji oprogramowania do wersji 2101 rozwiązało problem Netflix, amazon i cała reszta aplikacji w tv obsługują już dźwięk przestrzenny

0 Likes
PaulM1
Options

Hi, according to my trusty translator, @gotomasz has confirmed the following:

"After updating the firmware to version 2101, Netflix solved the problem, Amazon and all the rest of the applications on the TV now support Surround Sound."

0 Likes
gomezepor
First Poster
Options

I am having the exact same problems with my new QN90B. Any Solution? Tanks!

0 Likes
mr_markus
First Poster
Options

Same issue with Q80B and current firmware (1020). PCM works fine, but DD only via optical output.

0 Likes
gomezepor
First Poster
Options

what is your soundbar?

0 Likes
Duc Dinh
First Poster
Options

After a loss of time and money on myself cinema setups, I've see that one of the comments above was right, eARC is a high-bandwidth audio format DD, so ARC devices old will usually fail to decode and noise "tach tach' or only transfer to PCM instead of DD.

Same thing happens with my soundbar. in my old tv i can listen to DD via optical, after switching to DD+ only tv, my soundbar is noise with "tach tach" sound and sometimes only PCM is output.

0 Likes