Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lip sync on Q90R with 5.1 input

(Topic created on: 07-05-2020 10:15 PM)
d00p
Journeyman
Options

I -- and judging from posts in various fora on the web, a lot of other customers -- experience lip sync issues with 5.1 surround sound input on the Q90R (firmware v1066).

Specifically, I experience this on TV channels that are broadcast with 5.1 sound, but not on TV channels that are broadcast with only stereo sound.

This means that I can watch a show on one TV channel with the (stereo) sound and picture in perfect sync, and then simply change channel to another TV channel to experience a mismatch between the (surround) sound and picture. Switching back to the first TV channel, the (stereo) sound and picture is again in perfect sync. So lame 😕

The lip sync issues are present using the Q90R built-in speakers as well as with a Sonos Amp -- however, again, only with 5.1 TV channels, which also means that I cannot use the options for adding a general delay on the sound/picture as that, while perhaps fixing the 5.1 TV channels, will simply shift the issue to the stereo TV channels.

@Samsung: Needless to say, having such issues on a flagship model is really bad.. What are the plans for fixing this (expectedly, through a firmware update to get the TV to process 5.1 sound input properly)?

408 REPLIES 408
slomar
Explorer
Options

Easiest way is to use the Smartthings app and check the "information" menu after connecting it with your speaker.  Also gives you the option to update the firmware from there.  However, in the past, not all the speaker would be properly updated.  There is ways to force the satellite speakers to rerun the updates after the soundbar has been updated... series of controller button pushes and what not.  You can also update via a USB drive as well.  

0 Likes
Ian57
Pioneer
Options

My Q90R Soundbar is at version 1010.5.  Has anyone else experienced a problem where the Soundbar does not turn on automatically with the TV for a second time if you have previously turned the TV on/off a short time before?  This issue has been prevalent in my system for several months and prior to version 1010.5.

Q90 TV connected via ARC to Q90R Soundbar, SKY Q and Panasonic Blu-Ray Player connected into a Soundbar via HDMI 1 and 2 respectively.

I get around this issue by using a script in the Smart Things App which ensures Soundbar is ON if TV is ON.

Comments welcomed please.

DerwDerw
Apprentice
Options

My soundbar used to turn on with the TV. But seemingly since the update it doesn't turn on unless switched on separately. Is there any way to fix this?

0 Likes
fatguy666
Explorer
Options

I tried programming my One Remote on the TV using the Universal remote thing. It worked fine, press the coloured button and it would bring up a menu on screen where you could turn the soundbar on and change the input.

Unfortunately in my case I have my PC connected. The source defaults to "home theatre" all the time which puts a halo effect around text and stuff. Wasn't any use for me, resolved to use the multiroom app on my phone so I don't need to leave the soundbar remote out all the time.

0 Likes
shaunevo
Explorer
Options

I had the issue with the soundbar not switching on with the tv before this latest update but everything so far seems to be working well. 

0 Likes
shaunevo
Explorer
Options

@DerwDerw wrote:

My soundbar used to turn on with the TV. But seemingly since the update it doesn't turn on unless switched on separately. Is there any way to fix this?

Turn the soundbar off then hold the gear icon on the remote for 5 seconds I think this resets the sound bar. 

0 Likes
oinchats
First Poster
Options

I looked at the smart things app but couldn’t see if my soundbar was updated.  How do I find out?  Thanks 

0 Likes
slomar
Explorer
Options

Assuming you can see the soundbar as one of your devices there, click on that... then there's a three-dot menu in the top right corner.  Open that and select "information".  It will have the firmware version.  If you are on 1010.5, that's the most recent.  Should have an option to do a firmware update there, but I'll warn you now... this seemed to take at least an hour if not more to complete on mine.  There's a way to do this manually as well.  You can just look up the support page on Samsung to find the download and what not.  

0 Likes
Ian57
Pioneer
Options

Hi all,

I'm on a bit of a tangent here but has anyone experienced problems with Sky Q box freezing since the 1010.5 update to Q90R Soundbar?  I had experienced this a few times prior to the update but since then it's almost every time I turn the system on.  My Sky Q box is connected into HDMI 1 input on Soundbar and I use the Sky Q remote to turn on the Sky Q box, TV and Soundbar.  This works OK but then the Sky Q box freezes, doesn't output a signal and won't respond to the remote controller at all.  I have to power cycle the Sky Q box and this clears the fault...until the next time which is almost daily since the 1010.5 update.

All comments welcomed please.

0 Likes
shaunevo
Explorer
Options

I have the same setup as you only I use the tv to control everything and don't have an issue. Mines the 2tb sky box. 

0 Likes