Support

Open search

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

Highlighted
Pathfinder

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

...

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,827 REPLIES 4,827
Highlighted
Pathfinder

@crashcris wrote:

General question about today's stream of the England vs Panama match. What was the latest into the stream did anybody get the UHD? Did anybody try and NOT get onto the stream and how many mins in?

 

Personally I logged in right at the start and didn't dare log off till the end, but wished I could as I wanted to check out the Youtube stats for nerds to see what speed the Roku was picking up.

 

Many thanks.

 

 


I dipped out at half-time to double-check the HDR sampling settings and halfway through the second half my internet crapped out temporarily so had to restart iPlayer about a minute later.  Both times had no issues jumping back in - UHD option was available and no delays restarting the stream.

Highlighted
Voyager

@Moily wrote:

I dipped out at half-time to double-check the HDR sampling settings and halfway through the second half my internet crapped out temporarily so had to restart iPlayer about a minute later.  Both times had no issues jumping back in - UHD option was available and no delays restarting the stream.


Thanks @Moily... That really confirms that in general, people really don't know about this set of trials. They keep announcing that matches can be watched on VR but I don't think I've heard them suggest the UHD option. I remember them doing the same with the 3D trials, I always got the feeling the BBC never really got behind 3D and wanted it to fail. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the cash-strapped BBC rather wished 4K would go away in the long term.

Highlighted

@crashcris wrote:

@Moily wrote:

I dipped out at half-time to double-check the HDR sampling settings and halfway through the second half my internet crapped out temporarily so had to restart iPlayer about a minute later.  Both times had no issues jumping back in - UHD option was available and no delays restarting the stream.


Thanks @Moily... That really confirms that in general, people really don't know about this set of trials. They keep announcing that matches can be watched on VR but I don't think I've heard them suggest the UHD option. I remember them doing the same with the 3D trials, I always got the feeling the BBC never really got behind 3D and wanted it to fail. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the cash-strapped BBC rather wished 4K would go away in the long term.


Nah, it's not going away, but there's definitely a certain sense of them not rushing to get everyone switched over, hence the slow rollout over iplayer first. They still don't provide local OTA feeds in HD!

 

The difference with 4k over 3D is there's no technical barrier to entry other than owning a compatible TV, with 3D there were so many other variables in play and it wasn't really a technology that worked properly in homes, and it was marketed as a 'premium' product with no real discernable improvements over the 2D equivalent.

 

There are people who are physically unable to perceive 3D spatially.

 

I see VR as being the new 3D really, it's a fad tech and will fade away, but I can see the double whammy of 4k and HDR in whatever form sticking around for a long time to come.

 

 

 

 

 

Highlighted
Voyager

@TastyBurger666 wrote:

I see VR as being the new 3D really, it's a fad tech and will fade away, but I can see the double whammy of 4k and HDR in whatever form sticking around for a long time to come.

 

 Totally agree with you on VR. If people thought wearing 3D glasses was uncomfortable and cumbersome, then VR headsets take it to a whole new level, that and the ultra low res of the image and who really wants to have to keep looking all around themselves, trying not to miss any action that might be happening off screen. Still, the BBC are promoting the VR app.

 

 

 


 

Highlighted
Voyager

Very interesting Blog from the BBC including a graph showing the uptake of the UHD streams of the first few matches.

 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/internet/entries/b56edd34-a1d8-4ef9-9d2d-1c93eda18f73

 

Highlighted
Helping Hand

Anyone else getting a place holder 'Tempory Fault' message while trying to get on the Potugal match?

 

Edit:  Ok now!

 

Edit2: gone again!

Highlighted
Helping Hand

@crashcris wrote:

Very interesting Blog from the BBC including a graph showing the uptake of the UHD streams of the first few matches.

 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/internet/entries/b56edd34-a1d8-4ef9-9d2d-1c93eda18f73

 


Wow, what on Earth happened at half-time in the Germany v Mexico match? The line is almost vertical!

 

Highlighted

@crashcris wrote:

Very interesting Blog from the BBC including a graph showing the uptake of the UHD streams of the first few matches.

 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/internet/entries/b56edd34-a1d8-4ef9-9d2d-1c93eda18f73

 


Hmm, not sure GDPR will be happy about the TV profiling going on there, remember something similar Sky did when 3D was a thing.

Highlighted
Helping Hand

It's the logs from their servers, like every website in the world. I can't see anything stating it is using personally-identifiable information.

 For example, I'm sure http://gs.statcounter.com/browser-version-market-share isn't breaching GDPR! :smileylol:

Highlighted
Pathfinder

Interesting that only 1 of the 2 games being broadcast simultaneously last night were offered in UHD. 

Top Liked Authors