Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent audio cutting out with optical (toslink) The Frame 2019 49"

(Topic created on: 09-12-2019 10:58 PM)
Monographia
Journeyman
Options

I have some severe clipping, cutting out, choppy, glitchy, stuttering (whatever is the correct term) audio.

It happens for a millisecond every other second or so. It feels that it happens more often when there are audio intense moments, but it could also be that it's just more noticeable at those moments.

It happens on both HDMI channels (Apple TV and XBOX), as well as DTV (which I never watch, so that's not really an issue, but could help determining the problem).

The apps on Samsung works better, but after a while the clipping sound appears. On the apps it occurs sometimes and sometimes not, compared to the Apple TV and XBOX where it happens all the time steadily.

When I connect the optical cable to my XBOX everything sounds perfect and there is no clipping whatsoever. 

Also analogue works perfectly with the amp.

All the suggestions I've read mostly focused on changing the Digital Output Audio Format to PCM, which I've tried with no luck.

I've tried factory resetting the TV which didn't do anything.

The manual for my amp says:

The digital inputs are capable of handling up to 24bit / 192 kHz audio signal in PCM-format. check your source signal type to make sure it is in the right format.

Are there any settings I'm missing on my TV to set this up properly? Does 24bit / 192kHz mean anything that I should change in the setup?

Here is my setup:

TV: The Frame 2019 49" (QE49LS03RAU) – 2 months old

Amp: NAD Amp1 (NADAMP1BK) connected via the optical input (D1 for TV use) with a new optical cable (ARGCL1OPT1,0) – both bought 1 week ago

Stereo system 2:1

HDMI 1: Apple TV4 connected with new Premium HDMI cable from Deltaco

I've tried all the different audio settings (Stereo / Dolby Digital, and forcing 16bit) which doesn't change anything

HDMI 2: XBOX One S connected with the in-the-box HDMI cable – 2 weeks old

Tried Stereo Uncompressed and Bitstream, neither changed anything. 

Worth noting is that the TV don't recognize my amp correctly, it instead sets it up as a Denon. 

When it doesn't want to set the amp up and I manually have to say which it is I can choose Nad Amp1, but the remote won't work then and it didn't have any any other affect on the audio.

124 REPLIES 124
Gotboost
First Poster
Options

Are there any News to the topic? Someone tried a optical to coax converter?

0 Likes
ilikemytv
First Poster
Options

Bought the FIIO DAC mentioned in this thread and never gave this another thought (thank god!)

0 Likes
Gotboost
First Poster
Options

Has Somebody tried to use the coaxial inputs in the dac with a converter, or a arc extractor?

0 Likes
Gotboost
First Poster
Options

Does the cxn works? I think IT IS Not a sabre chip. 

0 Likes
Bill35
First Poster
Options

Yes, the Cambridge Audio CXN does not have the problem.

0 Likes
Jonpost
First Poster
Options

I had this issue with Apple TV 4K, Samsung Frame 32”, Quad Vena II. The Quad service desk were well aware of the issue and sent me a firmware update. Turns out the optical input is dropping because the Samsung output is too jittery. The firmware update simply increased the jitter tolerance. No issues since installed. Of course it’s not a great indicator of ultimate stream quality - but hey, it now works and if I want hifi I’ll use the USB input from PC. 

0 Likes
Gotboost
First Poster
Options

Just ordered the CXN V2, Hope that solves the Problem i have with the audio gd sabre dac.

0 Likes
Marcel103
First Poster
Options

I'm having tha same issue with an Arcam SA20 connected via toslink. Updating the Arcam to v1.10 didnt solve it.

0 Likes
Marcel103
First Poster
Options

With regards to the jitter problem when using toslink between Samsung TV and Arcam SA20.

Arcam Servicedesk advised me to do the following:

• Change the PLL Width to Wide. Select WIDE only if noises or signal interruptions occur (most likely from high jitter sources such as cable TV set-top boxes).

To change the settings, follow the steps below:

• Press the Mute button for 5 seconds to enter Setup Menu.
  • Navigate the Setup Menu to PLL Width.
  • Change it to Wide (by rotating the volume) 

This fixed the problem.

0 Likes
JayBoulders
First Poster
Options

Thanks to all that contributed to this topic. My 2022 LS50B 55” Frame is giving the same issues with jitter - glitch, jump, cutouts, etc.

I have confirmed that this issue only appears with DACs that use ESS chipsets. I’ve tried

- Denon S740 (AKM) - works great

- Topping E30 ii (AKM) - works great

- Topping E50 (ESS) - glitchy performance (jitter), like milliseconds of the audio track get cut out every couple of seconds. 

- Audiolab 6000A Play (ESS) - 1 second audio dropouts every 6-10 seconds. However, when connected to OP2 with PLL Filter set to Wide, no issues. Make sure that you’re on firmware 27 or greater. 

Here’s hoping Samsung fixed this one day. I’ve been unimpressed with the quality of this tv so far but I love the design. 

0 Likes