Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freeview Play Internet Samsung Smart TV and all that useless jazz!"

(Topic created on: 20-12-2022 10:05 AM)
grahamm7
Explorer
Options

I have this year purchased a Samsung Smart 32" Frame TV to replace my previous Samsung Smart but older TV.  This is an ultra-smart TV.  But I get more and more cheesed off with it.  We recerive FreeView via our Terrestial aerial.  There are some stations such as PBS that we find we like.   There is a rumour? that some stations will leave Freeview terrestial and only be on Freeview on the Internet.  PBS is just one.  Ok I thought there is an App called Freeview Play that might enable me to watch Freeview channels via the WiF/Internet.  But I could seem to add Freeview Play as an app on my latest Samsung TV - I did search for it.  So, I downloaded Freevied Play on to my Samsung S3 Tablet to try it out.  All it does really is gives you the program/schedule list.  If you want to watch BBC via the Interent you have to install the BBC iplayer app and Freeview Play directs you to it.  Ok on the TV we have ITV Hub in its new guize, BBC, My4 etc...  But how do I receive stations like PBS hub and other channels that are not on these apps but only come via the Internet.  There is the Samsung Plus app but frankly despite the large number of channels (mainly USA) none very much appeal to me.  So this new SMARt Samsung TV disappoints me.  Do Samsung listen to users??  Do they read this Forum and see what users think and suggest improvements etc...  Oh well is the season of Goodwill - so happy seasonal greetings to Samsung.

9 REPLIES 9
-Robot-
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
So surely your disappointment is with freeview, the TV operates as it should, you're able to pick up terrestrial services. any other service, freeview or other are beyond the control of Samsung.
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@grahamm7  One of the Freeview Multiplexies was closed to make way for  5G services  and there  will be changes moving forward. Some information here https://rxtvinfo.com/2022/freeview-channel-switch-off-is-coming https://www.cai.org.uk/index.php/contact/news/17-dtt-freeview-updates 

As far as PBS goes this is available  via Samsung TV Plus and Amazon UK https://www.pbsamerica.co.uk/ 

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

grahamm7
Explorer
Options

I do accept that some of the problems are the  BBC changes aka teletext and now that the licencing of 5G has caused channel problems etc... PBS giving up on Freeview over terrestial.  I have looked on the all the channels on Samsung TV Plus but mostly lots of USA stuff.  But whilst the TV works ok.  The functionality re controls I don't find very helpful.  Why move the EPG button to the so called SMART controller.  Not really sure what the SMART controller does for me.  Not sure it works completey with my model.  I have to hold the on/off button down completely for it to come back to Media and say live that I had previously selected.   If I just touch briefly on off goes to this FRAME art work.  When I come back I have to select hub and it starts on ART why not on media for most people want the TV or streaming.  I personally don't think the ergonomics are well thought out.  I purchased the latest 32 inch Samsung not for Frame art but so that catch up hubs like ITV BBC iplayer etc... will work properly.  As my older Samsung was running into difficulties as the catch up apps were changed/updated.   Its a good TV in what it does but the controls/funcitionality could have been better designed.

0 Likes
grahamm7
Explorer
Options

PS would be great if I could disable the FRAME ART function.  My TV stays OFF or on when I am using it.  I don't want an ART picture as it is not hanging on the wall.

0 Likes
BB136
First Poster
Options

I have the same issue and very annoyed with Samsung. I an going to try to return it to John Lewis where I bought it and never buy another Samsung product.

0 Likes
Options

My feelings exactly! I’ve been round the house’s looking for the answer and think I may have to buy a freeview box!! 

0 Likes
Options

Samsung is deliberately being obstructive and making life difficult! 

Options

Surly it’s a legal requirement to provide set’s with freeview so people can watch freeview! 

0 Likes
-Robot-
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Behave
0 Likes