Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps storage space issue

(Topic created on: 25-11-2023 01:08 PM)
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

TV: UE55 NU7500

I'm not sure whether this is a general Samsung issue or just to do with my TV, but the amount of space allocated to the Smart Hub apps seems to be seriously lacking.

As this is a new TV I thought I'd explore some of the available apps, but when I went into the Apps area I got a message saying that there was insufficient space to update apps. This was before I had downloaded anything, so it would purely apply to the pre-installed apps. 

I checked settings and the used space was 751MB with 64MB available, i.e. 7%. This seems absurd as these apps can't be deleted and are built into the system. The available space doesn't even allow them to be updated. I then tried resetting Smart Hub. This has helped to an extent as the available space is now 13%. However, it's still far too low and whenever I try and download a new app I get a warning about available space.

I can't believe that the pre-installed apps are taking around 700MB of space, and it seems crazy that Samsung would design the system this way. Presumably I will have to install an SD card to provide more space for the apps?

Any tips welcome as this is my first Samsung TV.

1,941 REPLIES 1,941
Partita
Pathfinder
Options

Try clearing storage.

0 Likes
Options

It's common for pre-installed apps and system files to take up space on smart TVs. Adding an SD card can indeed provide additional storage for apps and updates. Check your TV manual for specific details on supported SD card specifications and how to set it up.

0 Likes
mazzinia
Navigator
Options

That's not how these TV work, preinstalled app can only update ON the onboard storage, not on any externally added. And cannot be moved to the external storage. 
Plus these are tvs, not a phone.... they don't use SD cards...

billyb_834652
Explorer
Options

Best thing to do with this TV...

1. Update firmware.

2. Disconnect internet.

3. Restore factory settings.

4. Use a roku stick or firestick to make the TV 'smart'.

5. Be happy knowing Samsung isn't milking ad revenue from you.

mazzinia
Navigator
Options

Well, to be honest 4 or 6 days ago I got forced to do an hard reset because some malware somehow tried to install and caused the "cannot install, not enough space, need 194mb more".  Why I say it was malware is because after the hard reset something tried to self install and the samsung anti malware service blocked it and sent a report.

Anyway, with the hard reset (the tv wasn't reset since the time it broke the board, 1y after purchase, so 1y after the start of this thread ) I found out a few things... first that part of the bloatware fix apps are no more ( licenses or agreements expired I guess ), and second, that part of the app catalog is no more too ( seriously... they took down things ... why.... ). in any case now i've 286Mb free with everything installed back ( minus the app that was removed , it was to watch a foreign tv channel, official app, go figures ) and the e-manual still present on the device.

Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

That's very interesting, and thanks for the tip. So a hard reset should now create enough space to allow future updates. 286Mb is still quite low but it's a lot better than the ridiculous 64Mb I had available, which prompted me to start this thread nearly five years ago. I hope Samsung improved their designs in subsequent versions of this model.

0 Likes
mazzinia
Navigator
Options

yeh is low, but there are not a lot of apps to install too... i've the impression that there's less available now than it used to be (note that the hard reset I did, was the one initiated by using the power button on the bottom of the tv , and then using the IR).

Also if I'm not mistaken, this issue was restricted to models from that specific year ( again, I think, if i remember right ).

This TV had quite a bit of issues... board ko after around 1y , then panel developed a kind of area similar to a brush passing on it, that had some coating layer degrading and showing with specific kind of colors ( pastel kinds ) and that ended being a mess due to a very unprofessional service center used by the retailer I purchased the tv from ... got it eventually swapped out past the 2 years ( it dragged that much , with tv away for months ) thanks to samsung getting another service center involved. At that point they saw that the previous techs broke the plastics too (but these were not changed and it doesn't show unless disassembling ). So of this tv set, the only original parts are the IR , the 2 feets and the back cover...

Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

Wow, that's terrible. Poor manufacturing and servicing all round. I think you're right that the memory issue only affected that specific year (2018).

I clearly dodged a bullet as I managed to return my TV for a refund after fighting with John Lewis for around three months. I then bought an LG and it's never put a foot wrong. I don't think I'd ever buy a Samsung TV again.

0 Likes
mazzinia
Navigator
Options

Well, at the end is all about luck, as with everything, be it electronics or cars etc... I've a friend that has not been so pleased with lg, by example , while i've another friend that had a very nice set .. 4k purchased 10y ago ,and had no issues until some weeks ago ( and again just the board, so would be a very cheap fix, but they somehow decided to change it. I think the new one is worse as image quality )

0 Likes
KarmaKomma
Journeyman
Options

It is across all my TVs that are 2-4 years old. There was a workaround bia developer mode and they activated fixed that so we cant do anymore. And problem is i have TVs mounted against wall and will need to spend money to have someone move the TVs out and put in memory stick. And memory stick not that easy either. Not exactly plug and play and when you plug in it needs some type of setup. Giess what? Samsungs only way to help me was to say they could send a $150 /hour tech to my house to help. By time all my TVs done I can buy a new one. I don’t understand why more people not making noise about this as hear about it everywhere. Guess people just used to getting the shaft these days 😞 no more samsung for me as when i feel like i am being taken advice of.. I check out 

0 Likes