Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amazon prime streams very dark

(Topic created on: 05-10-2022 08:54 PM)
Garyc123
Explorer
Options

TV ue50ru7020

Tried streaming some of Amazon uhd content on this tv and it's very dark, not looking like it's in hdr and occasionally flickers to a much clearer brighter picture (for maybe half to 1 second at a time) then goes back dark again.

You can still see the picture but it looks kind of like how a non HDR screen would show hdr content (grey looking whites).

Brand new TV, any idea what's wrong?

56 REPLIES 56
JohnDC1
First Poster
Options

Just bought a new QN32Q60 thinking it would be the best new 32 inch. I am having the same issue. While streaming 4K on prime video, the movie dim’s horribly. I have changed all the eco settings with no fix. You can clearly see when you fast forward or rewind the TV gets brighter but as soon as you hit play it dims. Attached video clearly shows the tv dimming as soon as the video starts to play. There is clearly an issue with Samsung AND the Prime Video app when streaming 4K and I’m sure none of us want to keep going back and forth hearing Amazon blame Samsung and Samsung blame Amazon. Returning the new tv… 

Carlos Sanchez
First Poster
Options

Don’t know how to fix. But if you airplay or cast from an iPad or tablet it works fine 

0 Likes
WesEdens
First Poster
Options

I have exactly the same problem with a 55" Samsung I just bought.  Works fine with DirectTV signals, fine with NetFlix, fine with Hulu but Amazon Prime Video is a whole other problem.   Watching a movie on Amazon prime basically means watching a black screen and listening to a movie. 

Spent hours researching this problem, changing settings, trying fixes all to no avail.  

Extremely frustrating.  Not sure who to put the blame on here but the bottom line is Samsung UN55AU8000B does NOT work with Amazon Prime video content. 

This will be my last Samsung television for sure. 

VincentvdBrand
First Poster
Options

Hi,

FIXED (for me)

Sorry for replying to such an old thread, but I just bought the new Samsung s95b QD OLED and had the same problems. I almost wanted to return the TV.

One of the big surprises I found is that the Picture settings can be set per source, which I stopped using because the software just really started to act weird and unreliable.
In general I realized this TV is not about brightness, but about the darks and blacks. So trying to make the TV very bright just doesn't work. (Don't buy this TV if you're looking for a super bight picture!)

This seems to work for me:

1. Picture Mode: FILMMAKER MODE
  2. Brightness:50
  3. Contrast:45
  4. Sharpness:0
  5. Colour:25
  6. Apply Picture Settings: All Source (very important!)
  7. Picture Clarity Settings: Off (I hate the motion blur)
  8. Contrast Enhancer: Off
  9. Colour Tone: Warm2
  10. Gamma: BT.1886
  11. Colour Space Settings: Auto
  12. Peak brightness: Medium

1. Power and Energy Saving --> Brightness Optimisation: Turned On !
  2. Minimum Brightness: 25

Finally, I also reset the TV once completely. I think all apps got re-installed.

Vincent

0 Likes
Walrus75
First Poster
Options

A long awaited reply for you but this definitely works, I've spent the past 2 days trying to get to the bottom of exactly this problem.  It means being a bit brave and adjusting certain settings in the hidden Service Menu of your TV but it does work, just be careful what you adjust (i.e. only tweak what is mentioned in the video!).
YouTube guide for eliminating the "dark screen" issue. 
Good luck.

0 Likes
sodaorseven
First Poster
Options

how were you able to access this menu on the frame? I can get to the hospitality menu, but not the service menu. 

crazy to me that this is still an issue. 

0 Likes
Jase1
Apprentice
Options

There's no solution for the S9 tab though

0 Likes