Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amazon prime streams very dark

(Topic created on: 08-06-2020 09:36 PM)
Garyc123
Explorer
Options

TV ue50ru7020

Tried streaming some of Amazon uhd content on this tv and it's very dark, not looking like it's in hdr and occasionally flickers to a much clearer brighter picture (for maybe half to 1 second at a time) then goes back dark again.

You can still see the picture but it looks kind of like how a non HDR screen would show hdr content (grey looking whites).

Brand new TV, any idea what's wrong?

56 REPLIES 56
Telev1
Journeyman
Options

Amazon prime on my 2019 Samsung tv is unwatchable!!  Too dark to be enjoyable. The same program seen through my Apple TV is terrific!!! Come on samsung! This is well documented from the google searches I have made.  Very dissatisfied new Samsung customer!

Shrill
First Poster
Options
Hi , was this Apple TV 4K , what tv is it and does the same thing help with Netflix?
Thanks
0 Likes
Telev1
Journeyman
Options

Netflix is not so bad.  Prime is dark beyond viewing. 

0 Likes
JANNICKE
Apprentice
Options

I just bought a  Samsung 65" Class -TU700D Series-4K UHD LED LCD Tv and had the issue with shows streaming so dark you can't see anything.  One show in particular was the new Amazon show Upload. I connected my Roku to the tv and problem solved. If I bring up Amazon Prime through my Roku the Amazon Prime 4K shows stream crisp and bright. 

Telev1
Journeyman
Options

It kind of makes streaming from the TV useless.

JANNICKE
Apprentice
Options

I agree. Using the Roku is definitely worth the $30-$50 to fix the issue for now until Amazon updates their app.

0 Likes
Ermax89
Journeyman
Options

Does the Roku 4K work fine with the HDR turned on or off?

0 Likes
JANNICKE
Apprentice
Options

I have a Roku Express so not sure about that.

(Roku Express 3900R Network Audio/Video Player - Wireless LAN - Black - DTS Digital Surround, Dolby Digital - WEP, WPA, WPA2 - Netflix, Sling TV, Hulu, Amazon Instant Video, VUDU, WatchESPN, CNBC)

0 Likes
Ermax89
Journeyman
Options

The Roku 3900R supports streaming up to 1080p. That is why the picture looks bright. The problem with the Samsung TVs is streaming the HDR content. For me, streaming 1080p content from the built-in Amazon prime app works fantastic. It's the 4K HDR content the problem. I guess if you watched Upload in 1080p from the Amazon prime app it would look as good as the one from the Roku device. 

0 Likes
ShelliC
First Poster
Options

It is also happening on my samsung galaxy S9 plus. Trying to watch the new upload series and it is so dark it is hard to watch. I wonder way Amazon has not fixed this or Samsung.