Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

8K Q900R. One connect box swapping HDMI 2.1

(Topic created on: 15-02-2021 05:44 PM)
dolly82
Student
Options

Have they started shipping the one connect boxes over yet from 2.0 to HDMI 2.1 ?

Cant get anything from the Indian call centre staff not one of them understands what I am asking them.

Absolutley useless for a new customer asking any questions as they do not know the products.

He kept saying on phone 60 frame per minute, then he said running in 60p -- shows you how ill informed they or on products, rang 5 different times and not one can answer my question.

does anyone who owns one of the Q900R 8Ktvs could give me an insight into them, has there been any problems, good and bad points?

be as honest as you can.

Also has anyone had the chance to see a 4k tv and an 8tv side by side and if so is the comparison noticable.?

425 REPLIES 425
thutch
Navigator
Options

Hi. I read via a Facebook Group that eARC support was coming for 2019 TV's with OC boxes only and via a S/W update in May 2021 - this is also on this site as well... https://www.avforums.com/threads/samsung-8k-q950r-qled-owners-and-discussion-thread.2221008/page-44 

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/audio-video/earc-update-tv-2019/td-p/1860771/page/3?fbclid=IwAR3... 

Ry00ki
Apprentice
Options

Well i can confirm that statement, Samsung Switzerland did get me an upgraded connect box last year, supposedly hdmi 2.1, I'm using anQ900 Tv.

So there are phew things floating around. Now with my PS5 with the latest software updated , i can really test what's going on at least with my box  : 

1) All ports on the new box are HDMI 2.1 vs its only the port 4 

-> from my testing anything connected to port4 is not hdmi 2.1, it an it doesn't even giving me HDR, so clearly it is restricted on this port somehow.

-> on the other hand port 1 & 2 for sure is giving me 8K 60p HDR as stated, but the ps5 is saying 8K 60p not full RGB (RGB 4:4:4), but YUV4:2:2/YUV4:2:0 due to HDMI2.0 Limitation. this indicates me that those ports are not fully HDMI 2.1.

I'm testing this with the provided ps5 HDMI cable that has been confirmed to be HDMI2.1 from what i was able to confirmed online.

2) i think it is possible there are different versions (maybe depending which Tv you are using early 2019/2019/2020 models?) of the so called upgraded connect box, it is very possible that on some the port 4 works better (same as my hdmi 1&2 you could say)

3) i requested Friday to Samsung a new connect box, just to see if i'm still eligible for the upgrade program and if the new one i get is actually HDMI2.1 this time. But I'm afraid what  said about what mystery port will be still restricted to 8K 60p.

if you got a ps5 or any other way to test out the HDMI2.1 of the upgraded box, it would be cool to report what are you findings too.

Bertiebasset
Apprentice
Options

Anybody know if this box would also work on my QE55Q9FN?  Or if they will have an upgrade for this tv at all?

0 Likes
Humorsopa
Pathfinder
Options

No it won't work and there will be no updated OCB for Q9FN. 

0 Likes
Bertiebasset
Apprentice
Options

Gutted but thanks for the reply

Ry00ki
Apprentice
Options

Hello there, 

I dont know if it is useful to you , but a follow up on my request to get a new connect box to Samsung for my Q900, since the one i got already replaced doesn't seem to be hdmi 2.1 at least according to my ps5 tests at least.

Here's the message I got from Samsung : 

---------------

Thank you for contacting SAMSUNG Electronics Switzerland.

I am glad that you are interested in a hardware upgrade of the TV model Q900R.

Thank you for sending me the necessary information.

I have arranged the order for the new version of One Connect Box with HDMI 2.1 for you. Herewith I ask you for some patience, because these One Connect Boxes are currently post-produced.

You are welcome to keep the One Connect Box that came with the TV. You will be contacted again by our colleagues before the new One Connect Box (HDMI 2.1) is shipped.

--------------

The trouble point for me is the language used "new One Connect Box (HDMI 2.1)" as in the previous wasn't and they were aware of it.

Well i'm not sure, the whole connect box replacement program is mysterious to me.

- hopefully i can get passed the 4k 60fps HDR YUV4:2:2/YUV4:2:0 limitation when i get the new connect box. otherwise it would mean to me as mentioned previously that it is a somewhat hdmi 2.1 but not really which would be sad. 

Please share you experience if you happened to have q900+PS5 and a replaced connect box already :smiling-face: 

PeerNorway
Voyager
Options

@Ry00ki when did you buy your TV and is this your first One Connect replacement or 2nd. (EDIT: Okay, just read your post before this, and that you are now waiting for the 2nd. replacement) ? Also, is your TV the Q900RA TV or Q900RB model ?

It is very confusing that Samsung in Switzerland clearly refer to the replacement box as a "One Connect Box with HDMI 2.1" and "new One Connect Box (HDMI 2.1)"... After I got my my One Connect Box, they did not want to refer to it as "with HDMI 2.1 or any mentioning of "HDMI 2.1" at all - and when I contacted both the telephone support and addressed this in this forum, the telephone support insisted on referring to it as "HDMI 2.0" while the moderator who addressed this would not tell what kind of a port it was but only could reveal the port would accept 8K 60p. Nobody in Samsung would give any more information about this so called "complementary upgrade for 2.1" port  of this 2018 TV model really is.

Keep us updated.

0 Likes
Ry00ki
Apprentice
Options

Actually the model I got is : QE75Q900RSTXZG. Bought it in 2019. (Models are even another layer of confusing idd) 

Given the confusion, not even sure it's clear for Samsung and its different subsidiaries. Clearly that shows in this thread, there’s no one that was able to get a straight answer and was able to test it afterwards. 

Let's see when I get that box. At Least it's free.

But I'm not holding my breath for full hdmi2.1 support, I think it will be the same as the replacement I got last year, only them mentioning 2.1 makes me moderetly hopeful :))

PeerNorway
Voyager
Options

That "RS" code in model number is very strange and confusing - and especially since you bought it back in 2019. I know mine is RA (2018), and that there is a RB (which I believe might be a 2019 model, but not sure)... 

The box is free, but the problem is how long you have to put on hold, plus all the efforts you put into this mess.

0 Likes
Moralneeeick
Pioneer
Options

I hope they don’t send you the 2021 slim one connect box as I can confirm it has more issues than the older one. I have a 2021 QN800A and new Q950A Soundbar and it can’t handle earc from PS5 or X1SX for long periods - I think it’s overheating. It got better when outside of a cabinet but still happens. Eventually the earc handshake does completely and Tv requires a hard reset. Samsung coming Monday to the house.

0 Likes