Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Samsung s5e wifi issue on Android 10

(Topic created on: 23-09-2020 08:03 PM)
Jackthelad
Journeyman
Options

Ever since the update to Android 10 on July 1st, every time my tablet screen is switched off the wifi will also switch off on the tablet. I've been through all the settings including the developer options and I can't see anyway to stop this. I've reset my settings too, but to no avail. I've had to download an app on the Play Store to keep the wifi on.

Is this a bug or an intended feature of Android 10? And does anyone have any idea how to fix it, other than with a permanently running background app?

127 REPLIES 127
MKRUS
Explorer
Options

This confirms what I said before: it is an Android 10 problem! Thank you for this information, which is a great help. Now, how to define a solution. Android 10 is a Google product used for instance by Samsung, which adapts it it to its products. Since it appears that not only Samsung products are affected, it appears that Samsung's adaptation is not the culprit but it lies much deeper within the Google Android 10 release. This is my assumption based on what is know at this point.

So, Samsung is not responsible, but Google is. The next step would be to contact Google for help or an assessment of the situation.

0 Likes
MKRUS
Explorer
Options

Please, let us know the details and how you got the fix. I tried to get the update but there is nothing. Thank you.

0 Likes
Ofiaich
Pioneer
Options
Hi ! can you post the version number etc please?

Ofiaich!
0 Likes
Solution
Ofiaich
Pioneer
Options
Hi! this document has the latest update information. I updated this evening and will report back my findings.

Ofiaich

https://doc.samsungmobile.com/SM-T720/BTU/doc.html
MKRUS
Explorer
Options

Thank you for the info! I turned my 5Se but no update has yet arrived. Will see what happens. I'll keep you posted.

Jackthelad
Journeyman
Options
New update today which makes some more changes to wifi, so let's hope it makes a difference.
Ofiaich
Pioneer
Options
Hi! I posted this earlier. Hope it works too!

https://doc.samsungmobile.com/SM-T720/BTU/doc.html

Ofiaich!
0 Likes
PedroUK
Journeyman
Options
Hi Ofiaich!
FYI, I just d/l'd and installed the August 2020 update and it seems to have done the trick with regard to the Wi-Fi issue. I will see what happens tomorrow when it switches on and further report. ATB, PedroUK
Larches
Explorer
Options

Has anyone else had problems with their S5e struggling to pick up their WiFi signal in the first place, as opposed to the WiFi turning off during standby? I'm sitting here with my phone and tablet next to each other, one floor up from my router. The phone sees both (2.4GHz and 5Ghz) WiFi signals along with about a dozen others from neighbouring properties. The tablet mostly shows none, or just occasionally picks up one or two (no more) of the neighbours' signals. I have to carry the tablet downstairs towards the router before the SSID will even show up. I can then connect, and even bring the tablet back upstairs and it will remain connected at least for a while, although usually if I come back to it a while later, the connection has gone and the WiFi is off (which may be due to this reception problem OR the issue originally raised by the OP in this thread).

We have several mobile devices in the house, and only the tablet has this problem. And no, I'm not holding it in landscape mode - it's just flat on the desk, but if I prop it up on its stand, that makes no difference.

I have used the WiFiMan app to analyse channels and that does show my SSIDs, and they are stronger than the neighbours' ones, yet I can only see at best 2 of the neighbours' ones when on the Android WiFi connection screen. Also interesting is that WiFiMan on each device often shows a difference of about 10dBm (in the phone's favour). I don't know what to make of this, especially seeing as a third party app can 'see' all these networks and yet Android isn't offering them for me to connect to. Perhaps this should be a separate forum thread of its own - apologies if so! - but I just thought the audience on this thread might possibly have come across the problem too, or may perhaps have an idea of what to try (before taking the tedious route of raising a support ticket and doing the inevitable factory reset).

0 Likes
Ofiaich
Pioneer
Options
Hi everyone!

I updated 2 S5e's yesterday. When I turned them on this morning, both automatically switched Wi-Fi on! Hope all is sorted!

I will check and report back after a few more tests,

Ofiaich