Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy tab pro S screen will not turn on

(Topic created on: 07-10-2020 06:47 PM)
PhilipposR
Student
Options

Hi

I have Galaxy Tab Pro S (windows 10) SM-W703NZKABTU which needed warranty repair  early in its life, but has been perfect since. 

Issue : screen will not turn back on once tablet turns screen off in power save mode. 

I have tried keeping my finger on the power button, but have noted some flickering on screen when I do. I then plugged in a USB hub and HDMI card and found that the machine is working, but the built in screen is not. Once I plug the screen in the tablet display usually comes back to life. Occasionally I can get it it working by keeping the power button pressed, but is hit and miss. Once the display os working there are no issues at all, no lines or distortion.  This only started about a month ago.

8 REPLIES 8
ChrisM
SuperStar
Options

Hi @PhilipposR 

Did you manage to find a fix for this or are you still having the same issue?

0 Likes
PhilipposR
Student
Options

Hi Chris,

The problem is still as described 😞

Phil

0 Likes
FB2021
First Poster
Options
I'm having the same issue which started a few weeks back. I've tried holding the power button down and hitting enter on the keyboard around 40 tines but its always hit and miss
0 Likes
jorgeazuara
First Poster
Options

The same happens to me today, just suddenly the device stop working and after trying to soft and hard reboot nothing is happening, please someone from Samsung to confirm if the device has an expiration day or something.

0 Likes
mciobanu
First Poster
Options

TL;DR - try these:

1. Drain the battery (let the tablet play some video until it turns itself off) and leave it alone for 2 days before charging it again
  2. Once you get the screen working (by pressing many times the power button), increase the brightness. (If you have an HDMI adapter or a remote access program, you can probably do this even with a black screen, but I haven't tried this yet.)

------

I've had what seems like this issue since 2018, but I'll add my details, as they might help others.

What I saw: Many times the screen stays black when you try to turn it on, but, if you are in a really dark room, you can see for a split second that it's starting to light up before turning back black. Another fun fact: when it is in this state, everything seems to work normally except the screen being black. For one thing, with a remote access program installed, I could see that the tablet responds to touches.

So what did I actually do from 2018 until now? Initially I would press the on/off button many times (sometimes hundreds), until I finally got the screen to light up. But then I noticed things and made some adjustments, and it really helped, to the point where I decided not to try and have it fixed under warranty, as I was supposed to mail it in and I was pretty sure they would see that it starts and send it right back. What I did:

• Let the battery drain without recharging it, left it like this for a day or two, then charged it again
  • Started the tablet, played a lot with the on/off button, and, when finally I got the screen, I increased the brightness (I was using a really low, fixed setting)

This pretty much did it for me, with one additional caveat: If it turned off the screen automatically after some time of inactivity, that was a pretty sure way of getting back this issue, but fortunately it would recover; if not immediately, after several hours. And then things would be OK until the power saving kicked in again.

So what brings me back? I was hoping to see a proper solution to this. About 1 month ago it started doing this again, and now increasing the brightness more didn't really help (but turning it down made it way harder to get the screen to light up). Still, it wasn't as bad as it was back in 2018. I didn't drain the battery at first, though. After doing that, the screen always came up on the first attempt (so far), but I haven't used it much.

0 Likes
Members_Uhl9vkC
First Poster
Options

Hi Chris can I ask whether this issue was resolved as I have the same issue my Tab Pro s will not switch on?

Regards

David

0 Likes
jorgeazuara
First Poster
Options

Hi, for me the issue was resolved as the way it was described post my message: 

1. Drain the battery (let the tablet play some video until it turns itself off) and leave it alone for 2 days before charging it again
  2. Once you get the screen working (by pressing many times the power button), increase the brightness. (If you have an HDMI adapter or a remote access program, you can probably do this even with a black screen, but I haven't tried this yet.)

To be honest, I just left the device there on my desk thinking it was fully broken, so after a week or so I connected back to energy and it turns on !!!!

0 Likes
Michael-Mayfield
First Poster
Options

Unfortunately, I can't play a video game if it won't turn on.

Any other ideas?

0 Likes