Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto rotate breaks lock screen orientation

(Topic created on: 10-05-2022 03:39 AM)
SpoiledSoul
Apprentice
Options

Just purchased a Galaxy Tab S8 (S8+, specifically,) and I'm encountering an issue where the lock screen is stuck in portrait orientation whenever auto rotate is enabled. When unlocking the device, it will stay in portrait until I physically rotate the device and rotate back to landscape. Any idea how to address this?

Disabling auto rotate and locking into landscape fixes this issue, but then you have to enable auto rotate once more later.

8 REPLIES 8
AndrewL
Options

@SpoiledSoul: Please be aware that some apps are not optimised for use in Landscape mode, so will lock the orientation to Portrait. The is true of the Home Screen and Lock Screen, by default, however it is possible to allow Landscape mode by swiping from the top of the screen to the bottom > Tap on the words 'Auto rotate' > Rotate to landscape mode, and toggle the Home screen and Lock screen switches. Let me know if this helps. 

0 Likes
SpoiledSoul
Apprentice
Options

Thanks for the tip, Andrew. The toggles for "Home" and "Lock screen" do not exist in the current One UI 4.1 for my S8+, but I have seen that this is a solution on phones.

Screenshot_20220509-221421_Two Dots.jpg

Members_4F9swNC
First Poster
Options

Hi, I have the exact same problem, cannot find any solution anywhere

Kysotope
First Poster
Options

I have this exact problem with my Galaxy Tab S8. The lockscreen is stuck in Portrait mode for me no matter what. Even if I lock the device in landscape mode, the tablet's lockscreen stays in portrait mode. However, once I unlock it, the screen orientation problem solves and the tablet rotates itself like normal. It's only the lockscreen causing the problem for me. 

0 Likes
Kysotope
First Poster
Options

also cant find those switches on the tab s8. 

0 Likes
SpoiledSoul
Apprentice
Options

Can confirm that this issue is still present on Android 13 / One UI 5.

Ponury89
Journeyman
Options

Hi! 2 weeks and problem is still not solved? I am fresh galaxy tab s8 + user and its the biggest issue I have using this device. Any solution is known for that or just wait for some update...?

0 Likes
PokerPlayer77
Journeyman
Options

A lot of people have this issue when they use Smart Switch to set up the S8 for the first time.

Multiple people have confirmed that after doing a factory reset, this issue is solved.  It's crazy to me that Samsung's Smart Switch device is breaking the tablet's lock screen sticking it in portrait mode.  For me to have it auto rotate to landscape mode, now I have to factory reset the tablet then install all of my apps manually from scratch.

Over $1000 spent on a tablet, and this headache can't be solved by Samsung.