Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Android 12 update has messed up 'move to SD' functionality.

(Topic created on: 23-11-2022 04:22 AM)
jasonuk
Explorer
Options

Updated my A7 Lite today with Android 12 and the apps on my SD card are no longer accessible.  The update to Android 12 has basically killed the 'Move to SD' functionality which Android 11 had.  If an app is moved to SD to fails with 'Not Enough Storage' error even though there's 10s of Gb free on the SD card.  I've tried everything; formatting/mounting & unmounting card and even a factory reset assuming the SD card was the issue but it isn't.  I copied back my music & ebook library to the SD card using my PC and they can be accessed / played / read without issue which further shows the SD card isn't the problem.

75 REPLIES 75
rogermw
Pioneer
Options
It is just a year old and I wish samsung had ignored it then I wouldn't have got the dreadful samsung version of android 12
0 Likes
AndroidUser_
Apprentice
Options

1. I read changelogs, nowhere was it mentioned that the move to SD card feature has been removed.

2. If they removed it - they would have removed the option to do so too - not let it attempt the move then fail

3. Yes some developers restrict moving to SD at their own discretion - this is fine we are not talking about those apps -this can also be overridden in developer options at your own risk anyway, and does not require you to root your device.

4. Google DID NOT REMOVE the move to SD card feature - please prove me wrong, I checked all release notes and changelogs I could find and nowhere did it mention this was remove. Please supply some evidence to substantiate your claims. Mentioned this in this thread before.

5. I have 2 other  unrooted Samsung devices with android 12 that can still move apps to SD card 1xM21 and 1xA53 and all apps work 100% fine - further proof that Google did not remove the feature

jasonuk
Explorer
Options

I agree with you AndroidUser ~ the option is still there in Android 12.  On other Samsung products it still works but not for some reason on the A7 Lite.  Google hasn't removed it from Android at all so no point in responding to posters claiming they have because it's BS :smiling-face:  Still waiting for Samsung to pull their finger out and actually do something that numerous users have flagged... 

Steve FC
First Poster
Options

You were lucky to have a year. I had 12 hours. Only bought for the external storage. 

rogermw
Pioneer
Options
Yes I was wrong I should have asked the retailer who have responsibility , they have agreed to refund me as they agree with my position about not fit for purpose
Apps to sd
First Poster
Options

It's all bs. Just another way for them to push us to buy the next best. 

LASch
First Poster
Options

Google updates Samsung devices? Odd. Microsoft update Sony as well?

If they did update perhaps they should have removed it from the device that you could move apps to sd, as well as scrub their own faqs of all mention of how you can. Im not sure why youre so adamant to defend samsung on this. Your posts are rather ignorant, saying the devices are old and outdated like a samsung buy bot, i guarentee the 2 i bought will be the last samsung tablets i purchase. Just like their tvs are garbage, full of ads and faulty. Time to trade brands for a device with support andd reasonable quality

rogermw
Pioneer
Options
not in the change logs , I just looked on another device that wanted to go from 11 to 12 , luckily I knew to refuse it
rogermw
Pioneer
Options
samsung don't appear to be interested at all in solving their problem
Andy3
Voyager
Options
No its not. Move to sd has never been offical part of android. It was there to use but its never ever been a offical part of android. It was there because Google and many many manufacturers allowed it but its a unoffical part of android meaning it can change at any time..if it was offical it can't be remove. Its not offical so can be removed at any time. Read the tos
0 Likes