Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SmartTag+ No 'Find by Camera' or distance tracking (UWB)

(Topic created on: 10-02-2024 06:26 PM)
DarkGalaxy
Apprentice
Options

I have two SmartTag+ devices that are successfully paired and showing in SmartThings app

My phone is an S22 Ultra (Exynos) which should support UWB, yet when I try to track either SmartTag+ with it I get no option for the Augmented Reality Find by Camera, or any distance readouts.

Essentially the SmartTag+ are not utilising the UWB technology and are just acting like the non plus SmartTag models

Is this a software bug?  Is my S22 Ultra not being recognized as a compatible device?

FYI there was a previous post by someone else with a similar issue, which was marked as Solved by linking to the main info page for the AR finding... It didn't seem to actually solve anything, and in my opinion should never have been closed as 'solved'

You can see how it's supposed to work and look here: https://www.samsung.com/levant/support/apps-services/how-to-use-find-using-camera-to-find-my-galaxy-...

I note that the S22 Ultra is not actually in the list of devices on there, but I assume that's a case of the article not being updated as there are other references to it working with the S22 Ultra - including this video by Samsung https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AqUyLgLKz6k

Screenshot_20220816-133651_SmartThings.jpg

30 REPLIES 30
dstern
Explorer
Options

I can confirm exactly the same experience with my s24 ultra with SmartTag 2, it shows what the app accessing the camera, but no Ar option is ever available, only occasionally an location arrow 

0 Likes
Kulfsson
Apprentice
Options

Same issue here on S24 Ultra in Iceland. Camera is black. When I first clicked the option it had to download something, but I neglected to check what it was. It was some kind of support library from google (I think). 

I am thinking that perhaps some permissions are missing. 

EDIT: I tried uninstalling the Find app and re-installing it. By doing that, I no longer even have the option to turn on the camera. So most likely it is not allowed to be used in EU countries (best guess). The reason this was an option at all at first is probably due to some configuration error (I assume).

I would love to be able to make this work as intended. 

Wendolean
Explorer
Options

Exactly. It was "Google Play Services for AR" which doesn't need (nor have) any permissions. You just have to update it. But as recommended by someone here I've tried to de- and reinstall the update — no improvement. The weird thing is that while locating the Tag it shows the green camera usage dot at the right of the status bar.

Beside this I'm experiencing an annoying behavior: Whenever I open the camera app it starts with the front camera. I have restored the camera settings, did all possible updates (of any app and of the whole device) and it still starts with the front cam. Probably there is a coherence between both glitches as they both are accessing the camera(s).

oliver4ever
Journeyman
Options

Screenshot_20240209_115520_Settings.jpg

 not support 

In Ukraine 

S24 ultra 

dstern
Explorer
Options

Screenshot_20240209_120005_Settings.png

 Greece, setting is working normal but still camera find not available

Equatis
First Poster
Options

It must be a bug. I just came from an S23+ to the S24U and I lost the camera feature. Finder and SmartThings have access to camera and everything is up-to-date.

I too see the camera icon pop-up when I am within 15m but the actual button never shows.

Matejayp
First Poster
Options

Same here, S24 Ultra in Australia, SmartTag2, UWB is on by default but not camera search option available, yet the app has the permissions and when you go into permission history it shows up as using the Camera permissions actively while trying to locate the tag.

Definitely looks like yet another S24 Ultra bug by Samsung.

DavidMall
First Poster
Options

Same, in Australia, S24 Ultra 4 x Smart Tag 2 and no camera option in Search Nearby in any of them. All settings correct

dstern
Explorer
Options

I got official answer from Samsung, thr first part is what ar is not officially supported by s24 series, and the ar location find is not supported in all countries.

0 Likes
Kulfsson
Apprentice
Options

Jaw dropping to floor... How can it be that it is not supported by the flagship phone? Hopefully it is something they will add to subsequent firmwares. Regarding the location find with camera, it is so dumb that it is not supported. most likely due to GDPR, but then again you can just as easily film anybody with the camera.

But thanks for the update.