Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gmail notification sound

(Topic created on: 06-05-2020 09:12 PM)
LS47
Student
Options

On my Samsung A40 I have gmail notifications setting to sound alert whenever a new email arrives. This works intermittently but is more regular when I have used "close all". Clearly this is unsatisfactory.

Installed on the phone are AVG & AVG Secure VPN which were both on my previous Honor 9 where notifications sound worked fully. This may be relevant. 

I am retired so my phone is for social & personal purposes. I do not listen to music or watch films.

Hope someone can help.

0 Likes
8 REPLIES 8
SaudA
Troubleshooter
Options
Hi @LS47,

Is the phone's software up to date? Settings > Software update > Download and install. Also, check that the Gmail app is up to date: the Play Store > 3 Dots > My apps & games > Updates and make sure that all your apps are up to date.
0 Likes
LS47
Student
Options
Thanks.

There was a software update yesterday which has not resolved my problem. 
All apps are up to date. 
I am using AVG antivirus,AVG cleaner & AVG Secure VPN. There were on my previous phone(Honor 9) which is now being used by my wife - the 3 AVG products are no longer on that phone. She has no problems with gmail notifications nor did I. 
0 Likes
CarloL
Hotshot
Options

Let’s try starting your phone up in Safe Mode. This will disable all third party applications temporarily, to see if they are the root cause of the issues you’re having. To do this turn your phone off, then back on, and when you spot the Samsung logo on the screen, press and hold the Volume Down button until you see displayed ‘Safe Mode’. If the issue disappears in Safe Mode, you’ll need to disable the third party apps one by one until you find the culprit. 

0 Likes
LS47
Student
Options

Thanks. I'm a techophobe so afraid of doing what you suggest as I might then not get back to what I currently have. I am extremely vulnerable' for COVID-19 & my phone is an important part of my link to the outside world. 

In my Playstore I found a Huawei app which must have somehow slipped in when I changed from Honor9. I uninstalled the app. 

I don't have many apps outside those that were preinstalled. The only ones I can actually uninstall are Android Accessibility Suite,Android Auto - Google Maps Media & Messaging,Android Switch  Webview,Device Health Services & Your Phone Companion - Link to Windows. I don't know what benefit,if any,these 5 apps provide.

I may need to wait until I can go to a mobile phone shop of my provider. 

0 Likes
strawberry cake
Hotshot
Options

hi @LS47 

please ensure "do not disturb" is off
head to Phone Settings > Notifications

please check if notifications is switched on
tap and hold the Gmail app > tap Show info > tap Notifications > enable all

please check your volume
head to phone settings > Sounds and vibrations > Volume > slide "Notification" to max

switch off and on the phone, retry 

thanks ☺

(\_/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") strawberry cake so delicious

0 Likes
LS47
Student
Options

Thanks. Have done as you suggest. Sunday is a quiet day for incoming emails so will know better tomorrow. 

0 Likes
strawberry cake
Hotshot
Options

Alright ☺

(\_/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") strawberry cake so delicious

0 Likes
LS47
Student
Options

The problem remains spasmodic. When I have pressed 'close all' the notifications it works much better.

As mentioned earlier,I have 3 AVG apps which were on the Honor 9.

I am learning to live with the situation as I am extremely reluctant to do anything which might render the phone inoperable.

I am aware it will be some while before I can visit a shop to ask for guidance. 

0 Likes