Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Samsung Email app: read becomes unread

(Topic created on: 20-07-2020 05:06 PM)
Ottomatik15
Journeyman
Options

I am using the Samsung Email app (v. 6.1.21.2) on my Samsung s20 Ultra. Recently, it started marking ALL of my emails on any accounts that I have setup as Unread. I do a pretty good job deleting and marking them as read. I can't see a pattern because it does it to each account at different times. It'll pull up 10k emails worth as unread dating back to 2004. Any ideas on if this is a bug or if I have something wrong. I have it set up as imap for my Gmail accounts (all are Gmail accounts) 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Ottomatik15
Journeyman
Options

UPDATE: took advantage of that premiere concierge service. Went through some stuff with them. Mark all email as read then power off device. Try booting into Recovery Mode and Wipe Cache Partition. Should only clear system cache and not offect personal data on phone. Did this yesterday and it's still holding strong with the emails not going back to Unread (usually only takes one refresh of the email for them all to come back for me previously). Give that a try and report back if it's helping anyone else. I'll keep you all updated if it breaks down on me. 

View solution in context

0 Likes
16 REPLIES 16
Econut
First Poster
Options

I'm having the same problem, thousands of unread emails, i go through them and mark as read and then the next day they all come back as unread again, any ideas?

0 Likes
Ottomatik15
Journeyman
Options

Are you also using the S20 Ultra? I'm wondering if that might be the key. It's still happening to me. Although, I did find that on one account, if I ignore it, it eventually goes away. However, I have one that has thousands just sitting there as unread. I can't find a particular action/rhyme/reason for it. 

0 Likes
Members_evXWMy9
First Poster
Options

Having same issue on my S20 5G (not Ultra).  Started on just my Sky email account but now on my Gmail account as well.  Any ideas???

0 Likes
Ottomatik15
Journeyman
Options

Only happens with my Gmail accounts. I wondered previously if it was an imap issue. However, my wife has the note 10+ with a shared family account and it doesn't happen on hers, which is why I'm wondering if this is an s20 deal. 

0 Likes
Amiru
Student
Options

I have the same issue. Its been happening for a while on my S8 and S10 so this is def not phone specific. Has anybody found a fix yet?

Ottomatik15
Journeyman
Options

Good to know. No fix yet. I have found that it's become increasingly more buggy. I went through and marked all as read until the numbers cleared on all accounts. It now comes and goes where I'll have 10k+ emails as unread on each account and then 0 other times I open it. It's driving me nuts tbh. 

Amiru
Student
Options

Exactly the same on my end. May just try a different email app instead of the Samsung one. Anybody have any good recommendations?

Doom187
First Poster
Options

I can't believe I didn't google this issue earlier or report it. Mine has been doing this for months. I'm on a cheap Samsung Galaxy J7 Sky Pro with 3 email accounts and only one is Google.

Ottomatik15
Journeyman
Options

Yeah, at this point seems like the Samsung Email app itself. Since my original post, I'm now on v.6.1.22.3 and it has become more of a problem. I've gone as far as trying to remove the email accounts and set them back up as well as scaling back the limit of how far back my emails go. To no avail in either situation. I set it to only do a month's worth and then it shows only a month's worth of "unread" emails instead of the whole lot of it.