Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

multiple eSIM (Android 13 and MEP)

(Topic created on: 11-12-2022 07:47 AM)
SergeDV
Explorer
Options

I understand that with the introduction of Android 13, there is now functionality to activate multiple eSIMs simultaneously. Google call it MEP (multiple enabled profiles).

I also understand that this functionality is backwardly compatible for phones that have eSIM hardware (eUICC) installed - like my Flip 3 & 4.

This means that we don't have to toggle between eSIMs when we want to use a different eSIM (since only one eSIM can be active at any time, regardless of how many you have installed on the phone) and so, for example, activate more than one phone number simultaneously. 

Does anyone have know how this functionality can be enable on Samsung phones that have Android 13? I have Android 13 on my Flip but I still can only enable one eSIM at a time.

Go to solution
34 REPLIES 34
SergeDV
Explorer
Options

Yes, I saw this in your link yesterday. I'm not sure what it actually confirms though. The heading of this is: "SIM Slot Type" which is a user label not a hardware reference. If it had said "SIM Operability" or something like that, I would be convinced and excited. After all, I am currently running 2 eSims and 1 pSim - but not concurrently!

0 Likes
Sebastienbo
Pioneer
Options

I don't really know why the MVNO Should support this. 
If that would be the case, that would mean, you could only have dual esim as long as it is provided by the same provider? 

That would not help most people in this thread that search a solution to combine different providers (work and private)(own country vs vacation esim)

0 Likes
FSams
Explorer
Options

dual esim, it means dual esim at the same time, if you look at the previous specifications of samsung s23, or z flip 5 there was no dual esim entry

this is techinical specification S23 in network you don't see dual esim but only SIM 1 + SIM 2 or Embedded SIM

this is link https://www.samsung.com/levant/smartphones/galaxy-s23/specs/

0 Likes
BlackHaul
Journeyman
Options

As it will be only one eSIM h/w so dual esim means two profile atcive at same time from same esim.

You can my initial reply on this post. With MEP support you can below SIM combination configurations-

You can use below SIM combinations-
Dual SIM Mode-
1. pSIM (physical SIM) + eSIM profile2
2. eSIM Profile1 + eSIM Profile2
3. eSIM Profile2 + eSIM Profile1 -> in the above both cases pSIM will be deactivated.
4. eSIM Profile1 + pSIM
SIngle SIM Mode-
5. pSIM only
6. eSIM Profile1
7. eSIM Profile2

Here Profile1 and Profile2 refer to any different profile installed in Phone's eSIM H/w.

0 Likes
FSams
Explorer
Options

I'm sorry, I'm in a country where SIM locked devices are not sold, so there shouldn't be any problems there, if in other countries where they sell devices linked to the single operator (such as physical SIM) I don't know how it works there.

0 Likes
BlackHaul
Journeyman
Options

Don't worry there will not much change from MNO side. They just need a minor change in profile preparation. So MNO can easily support the MEP feature.

Technical details- MNo has to add one more tag in profile information that current profile is active/deactive(technically enabled/disabled).

0 Likes
SergeDV
Explorer
Options

good point, i must admit.

0 Likes
SergeDV
Explorer
Options

interesting then!

0 Likes
FSams
Explorer
Options

you wrote the scenarios perfectly, it's exactly like that, I wanted to understand this, I hope now with all the types of use, indicated to BlackHaul, it will be clearer to everyone, now enjoy S24 and when you use it give us confirmation of this :smiling-face:

0 Likes
SergeDV
Explorer
Options

OK, it's official - I'm getting a little bit excited...... 🙂