Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

multiple eSIM (Android 13 and MEP)

(Topic created on: 11-12-2022 07:47 AM)
SergeDV
Explorer
Options

I understand that with the introduction of Android 13, there is now functionality to activate multiple eSIMs simultaneously. Google call it MEP (multiple enabled profiles).

I also understand that this functionality is backwardly compatible for phones that have eSIM hardware (eUICC) installed - like my Flip 3 & 4.

This means that we don't have to toggle between eSIMs when we want to use a different eSIM (since only one eSIM can be active at any time, regardless of how many you have installed on the phone) and so, for example, activate more than one phone number simultaneously. 

Does anyone have know how this functionality can be enable on Samsung phones that have Android 13? I have Android 13 on my Flip but I still can only enable one eSIM at a time.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
BlackHaul
Journeyman
Options

Yes, exactly. You understood right. Phone manufacturers and operators both has to support then only MEP functionality will be used. As I know till now only Pixel7 supports this in some region.

View solution in context

34 REPLIES 34
zimma71
Voyager
Options
Don't you need to have a dual Sim phone as with mine is dual SIM I don't need to convert one SIM to the other they are both active at the same time hence I can make calls and receive calls from a SIM card without having to toggle switch
0 Likes
robd1
Voyager
Options
Hello @SergeDV, it does not matter what your phone is capable of if your service provider does not support it. You need to start there.
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

It seems to be O2, EE and  Vodaphone that  support esims and there may still be some restrictions.  A list of compatible Devices in this article https://www.4g.co.uk/news/what-is-an-e-sim-everything-you-need-to-know/  

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

0 Likes
SergeDV
Explorer
Options

Thanks for the responses people. Just to clarify:

I'm not talking about general eSIM support - both my phone carriers support it (A1 and TIM here in Europe) and so does my phone Flip 3 at a hardware level (I currently toggle between 2 eSIM profiles along with a standard nano SIM which works simultaneously with one of the eSIMs).

What I am talking about is the MEP functionality that Google recently added to Android 13 which is, as I understand, a software/firmware upgrade to better use the phone's eUICC hardware - it multiplexes the use of the onboard modem to allow two eSIM profiles (2 phone numbers from 2 different carriers, for example) to operate at the same time. 

So, in my eyes, this is carrier independent and, as I thought, phone manufacturer independent. Am I missing something?

Blinky-Bill
First Poster
Options

I’ve been waiting ever since hearing about Multiple Enabled Profiles in the media since April 2022. It was reported to be coming in Android 13 but I was disappointed to find no evidence of it when I updated to 13.

If indeed it exists as a feature already, it appears that no android manufacturers have taken advantage of it.

I have moved my primary number to an eSIM and would love to have the possibility when travelling for my 2nd SIM in my S22 Ultra to be another eSIM rather than to now be limited to physical SIMs.

I suspect this feature will come with the next android version, but the question is when.

BlackHaul
Journeyman
Options

Hello SergeDV,

Currently, this feature is supported only latest google Pixel7, not by any Samsung phone.

And also google is enabling this feature in some regions where operators are supporting this feature.
Using this feature at a time anyone can enable 2 eSIM profiles using the same eSIM H/w in a Pixel phone. In Pixel7, google also has given physical SIM slots but in the future, it might be removed and only eSIM will be there supporting dual SIM functionality.

You can use below SIM combinations-
Dual SIM Mode-
1. pSIM (physical SIM) + eSIM profile2
2. eSIM Profile1 + eSIM Profile2
3. eSIM Profile2 + eSIM Profile1 -> in the above both cases pSIM will be deactivated.
4. eSIM Profile1 + pSIM
SIngle SIM Mode-
5. pSIM only
6. eSIM Profile1
7. eSIM Profile2

Here Profile1 and Profile2 refer to any different profile installed in Pixel7 eSIM H/w. You can install any number of operator's profiles (depending on eSIM memory) and can be enabled any 2 profiles on both stacks.

SergeDV
Explorer
Options

Thanks for the response. So I suppose you are confirming that this Android functionality is both carrier and manufacturer dependent. The Android upgrade does not simply roll out on to the phone as new functionality.

Solution
BlackHaul
Journeyman
Options

Yes, exactly. You understood right. Phone manufacturers and operators both has to support then only MEP functionality will be used. As I know till now only Pixel7 supports this in some region.

Sebastienbo
Pioneer
Options

With the introduction of Android 14, esim dual profiles is build-in
So, maybe it now works out of the box on samsung as well?

https://source.android.com/docs/core/connect/esim-mep

0 Likes