Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is network branding slows down receive updates?

(Topic created on: 08-04-2021 07:34 PM)
the_bart123
Navigator
Options

Hi there,

I am new in Android world. I used to receive iOS updates about few minutes after they released (or even SECONDS if Apple servers not slow down).

Now I got Galaxy S20 5G and I know there are delays with receiving security updates - like NOT seconds or minutes - but like days, weeks and even months!

Currently I know Pixel 3,4 and 5 received 1 April 2021 update....... on  1 April....... Samsung...... well - it is 8th April - silence - no update - there are news people with S20 started to receive it yesterday - me........ NOTHING.

Is it because I have O2 network branding in it?

Thank You and wish me luck - I will need it to receive that update

0 Likes
16 REPLIES 16
Joeeye
Maestro
Options
Unfortunately updates are usually done in batches. The S21 Ultra being Samsungs latest got the April update on 29 March. However phones like my Note 10+ 5G are still on the February security patch (other Note 10 models have received the one ui 3.1 update already). The only thing you can do is be patient.
0 Likes
ghosty
Voyager
Options
Sometimes it's good to let others install the updates first and post if there are any problems to avoid 😁
0 Likes
the_bart123
Navigator
Options

When my smartphone where I hold a lot of money  in few "money handling" apps - INSTANT security updates are MORE than important.

Being patient? Imagine you risk loosing a lot of money because I do NOT want to release updates on time - and I tell you.......... be patient!

0 Likes
the_bart123
Navigator
Options

True - but........ better have dead smartphone than someone will steal money from my money handling apps

0 Likes
ghosty
Voyager
Options
You may want to switch to iOS or pixel if security updates are your priority, those two will be the best bet for updates
0 Likes
Shazzkid
Troubleshooter
Options
Unlike Apple, there isn't just 1 series of devices, but hundreds, different brands, different models. And each one requires modifications and optimisation, and this is done both on a brand level, but also a model level, and also individual networks like to make changes or review the update before they send it out.
All of this is the cause for the delays.
0 Likes
the_bart123
Navigator
Options

true - but I did not know spending £1000/$1000 will be cheated like that 😞

0 Likes
the_bart123
Navigator
Options

But there is just ONE Android - or am I wrong?

0 Likes
Shazzkid
Troubleshooter
Options
Yes there is 1 android, but no manufacturers use just stock android, they only use it as a base for their own version. The closest you can get to stock android on a phone will be in Google Pixel devices, which is also why they get updates first, they barely need modifying.
0 Likes