Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing default pdf viewer

(Topic created on: 26-03-2023 04:53 AM)
BloopX2
First Poster
Options

Hi, I'm having trouble changing the default pdf viewer on my samsung s21 fe. I've tried going to "Settings > apps > choose default apps" but there's no pdf viewer option I've also tried doing "settings > apps > free adblocker browser (the browser I'm using) > defaults" but also no option for pdf viewer any ideas on how to change my default pdf viewer? 

BTW I don't wanna delete the app because I have all my passwords and work data on it

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5
AndrewL
Options

@BloopX2: Please can you try heading to Settings > Apps > Select the app you use to open your .pdf files by default > Set as default > Clear defaults > Clear. 

Now, tap the Home button > Swipe up from your Home screen > Samsung (folder) > My Files > Documents > Select a .pdf file > A series of app options should appear at the bottom of the screen > Tap the preferred app, then select 'Always'. Let me know if this helps. 

(1)
BloopX2
First Poster
Options

@AndrewL I can go to Settings > apps > my pdf viewer > defaults, but it only shows that I have it as my default browser. Even then, there's no "clear defaults" button

0 Likes
TessM
Mastermind
Options

I see, @BloopX2 . In this case, I would suggest resetting your apps preferences from the phone Settings> Apps> Menu (3 dots top right)> Reset app preferences. Then try to open a .pdf document and select the app as your default.

0 Likes
Vargasbox
First Poster
Options

Hey BloopX2. I ran into the same scenario and didn´t want to errase all my file associations, justo PDF and here's what I did:

1. Open a PDF, make a note on what app opens it.
  2. Config/apps/default apps/ (or something like that, my phone is in spanish)
  3. Go to the app that currently opens PDF and note it (Onedrive in my case)
  4. Go to Opening links/Installed apps (something like that, last option)
  5. Fing you current app and click it
  6. Las option, something like delete default values and click the erase button
  7. Try again to open a PDF and the OS will prompt you for a "open once / always" select your wanted new PDF viewer.

Hope this helps!

0 Likes
Darkrai
Student
Options

In case this is still an issue or for future reference:

1. Go to the app-info of the current default app
  2. Under the section default go to set as default
  3. The bottom section -> delete default values

This should cause your device to prompt you again for the app with which to open the file. This worked for me to reset the default PDF app when I set it to Samsung Notes by accident. This will probably reset any situation where the app in question is the default though. (Please note that my phone is not in English so the exact names may differ.)

0 Likes