Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Cannot see / download any media in my Samsung cloud gallery on my PC

(Topic created on: 14-05-2020 12:59 PM)
PitRejection235
Apprentice
Options

Hi,

I've got pictures & videos saved to my Samsung Cloud Gallery from my S9+. I want to download them all to my PC. When i log into the samsung cloud website on my PC, there is no way to see the media in the gallery - all i get is a screen with status of the storage I've used, backup status, etc. There is no way to launch the gallery from my web browser to see the photos I want to download to my PC.

How do I see and download them?

Go to solution
33 REPLIES 33
NomaJ
Journeyman
Options
It was only about 2 or 3 days. A lot quicker than I had anticipated! However, pretty useless if I can't open the file...
0 Likes
Spetz
Explorer
Options

Yeh that's quick but also useless huh... i'm still talking to support. Literally going round in circles. The person i'm talking to keeps telling me to 'enable sync in samsung cloud' and then all of my cloud photos will show up in my cloud. This is of course not doing anything, like you, i can't see the photos in my gallery that are saved in cloud. Also if i select sync and select some photos/albums etc, i'm scared that what is currently only on my cloud and not on my phone, will be deleted.

0 Likes
NomaJ
Journeyman
Options
If you are able to wait until July (in case they are actually updating security and restoring those features then) then I would. I wouldn't want to risk losing what is in the cloud.
0 Likes
Spetz
Explorer
Options

Yeh to be honest, i'm not too worried that anything i decide to select or 'do' on my phone will actually replace or delete what is on my cloud. I, just like a few others, recently got that email saying they'd delete my cloud as it's been inactive for a year. That said, an hour ago i got an email saying 'activity has been detected' - therefore it shouldn't be deleted.

The question is, will they actually do these updates in July...ha. Lets see huh! Until then, our cloud is hidden. 

P.s the first person i spoke to was ok. The second person has been more than useless.

0 Likes
NomaJ
Journeyman
Options
Yes, I wonder about those updates in July! And in any case, I am sure you didn't really have hours and hours to spare trying to sort this out. Really bad form by Samsung if you ask me. Good luck!
0 Likes
Spetz
Explorer
Options

Good luck also, i'll be sure to post an update here if i get anywhere with it... i really want these files back. Poor form indead, the first person was ok, 2nd literally hadn't a clue and told me loads of incorrect things - also told me to search form the samsung gallery app on appstore (mac OS), which doesn't exist...

Let me know how you get on!

P.s - for anyone else reading this worried that your data will be deleted in July, simply hit the sync button on Samsung Cloud, de-select all the folders if you're worried to lose, erase or 'update your cloud' and overwrite it with new data (which apparently isn't a issue atall, i just tried it) - doing this will automatically mean that you have been 'active' on your cloud, therefore your cloud will not be deleted in July. You will also get an email informing you that 'activity has been detected' - piece of mind...

Spetz
Explorer
Options

Morning...

So, i received my file download from Samsung, FAST!

The file extension/type you are speaking of and couldn't open is a .z01 file, correct?

This is basically a normal zip file, but only works in sequence with all of the other 'z' files they have sent you to download. The files you have should be in a format like this: z01, z02, z03 etc etc... this is referred to a split archive format.

If you're a windows user, you can unzip these with winrar. What I would suggest is to download all of the files at once and put them into a folder all together. Apparently it is quite important that you have all of the files together - you can't just unzip 1 alone as they are referred to as split archive files. That might seem super weird and oldschool but to be honest it makes sense for them to do it like this, 15gb is alot of data.

For Mac OS, i haven't tried yet because i'm still waiting for 15gb of files to download. I am still looking for the relevent app to use to unzip this kind of extension but try this site: "https://fileinfo.com/extension/z01"

Please note the above info is new to me, but i used to use winrar all the time back in the day when i still liked windows. As for Mac, i'll update as soon as i know, i have never dealt with zip files like this before with Mac.

Use the link to the site i sent, it has almost all of the info that you need to make this work including the download for winrar. Remember, download all the files, put them into their own folder together as one big group, and go from there.

0 Likes
Solution
Spetz
Explorer
Options

Update:

**THIS IS THE SOLUTION**

So, i received my files from Samsung, FAST! They sent me the link to email.

For those new to the thread, and just reading this, you can request to download your cloud files via this link: http://privacy.samsung.com  - thank you NomaJ for highlighting this and supplying the link and info that this is possible!!!

Go to 'data', then click on what you want to request (in this case, samsung cloud), and they will process your request and email it to you with a link. Mine took 15 hours for them to reply, pretty quick. The rest of the process is as below. This does work, and after hours of messing around and talking to people on chat who were of no help, found a solution.

Regarding the file format, you received '.z01' files, correct?

This is basically called a 'split archive file', similiar to a .zip, but it's like a sequence of them.

You can use winrar to extract these files. It will ask you for a password, which is also sent in the email - click the link and head to your downloads, then click 'send me my password'.

Winrar is the windows way to get this done, download all of the files, put them into a folder together, and then head over to winrar to extract them.  It is quite imporant (apparently) that you download all of the files and keep them together and continue the unzipping/extract process together as a group. Your files should look like .z01, z02, z03 etc etc. All of these put together make the files complete, separated, they can become corupt.

This may seem really oldschool and annoying but to be honest it's very simple, and makes sense when you are being sent 15gb of data which is alot... 

For Mac, and i can confirm this works because i have just tried it myself, you need an app called 'the unarchiver' - again, download all the files, put them all together in a folder, and begin the process (requires password).

Head here if you require a tiny bit more info  - https://fileinfo.com/extension/z01 you will find a link to download winrar (winrar is great and i used to use it all the time when i liked windows) - for mac, appstore 'the unarchiver'

15gb of downloads later and you should have all your files on your computer :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Spetz
Explorer
Options

"Hey @PitRejection235! I can confirm that it is not possible to view the data saved on the Cloud from the PC, you can only see the statistics. The data is there but can only be restored from the phone. I would recommend usign Smart Switch to back up your data on your PC and at the same time you have access to it, you can download this software on your PC from here."

This is not a solution to the problem in question and is totally false - back ups on smart switch VS sourcing your files to download on cloud to your PC are 2 very different things. Samsung don't know their system well enough apparently. The solution can be found above this post. Please don't mislead people with 'solutions' that aren't actually solutions. Yesterday i was told 'restore' your phone - once checking the files that were contained in the restore, they added up to 700mb only, despite the fact the gallery on my cloud is almost 15gb - once again, 2 different things.

Please ammend the 'solution' - alot of people are having the same issues here.

Bar36
First Poster
Options

When I click that link: https://privacy.samsung.com/ 
Where do I make the request? I can not find any place to make a request or an email or anything? I also do not see a place that says 'data'? 

Only 'my data' and that refers me back to my samsung cloud login. Which is useless cause I can't access anything from there. 

My phone is broken and I can not access any of the files anymore. So samsung cloud is my only hope. 

Barbara

0 Likes