Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Can't Re-register RCS/Chat Features After Factory Reset

(Topic created on: 05-05-2022 05:24 PM)
Kenneth-071
Navigator
Options
Hello & Good day,

So here's the situation I'm facing. I had chat features registered and working on my phone, but after a major system update and a factory reset (which is usually recommended after such an update) I can no longer seem to successfully register the chat features with my default messages app.

It just keeps giving me a 'Registration Failed' toast message every time I try. I forgot to de-register the service before the factory reset but I didn't think it would cause such an issue, not to mention that you wouldn't remember to do this before-hand every time you decide to do a factory reset.

Any help with remedying this would be much appreciated, thanks in advice.

Relative Information:
Device: Samsung Galaxy A71 (SM-A715F)
Android Version (before system update): Android 11, One UI 3.1
Android Version (after system update): Android 12, One UI 4.1
Default Messaging App: Samsung Messages

0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Kenneth-071
Navigator
Options

I've read in another topic that you have to make sure that the Rich Communications option is turned on @ Settings > Connections > More Connection Settings, however that option isn't available on my device (for some reason).

Option missing on SM-A715FOption missing on SM-A715F

But that doesn't matter, because I finally managed to re-register RCS/Chat Features on the default Samsung Messages app:

Successfully Re-RegisteredSuccessfully Re-Registered

I basically had to install the Google Messages app from the Play Store, then register for chat features with my number on that messaging app, then switch the default messaging app back to Samsung Messages and when prompted to enter my phone number to register for chat features again it eventually registered successfully. Though it took like 4 - 5 tries swapping between Google & Samsung Message apps before it finally worked.

It just seems to me that if Samsung were to add a way of verifying your phone number when registering for chat features that this wouldn't even be an issue.

View solution in context

0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7
ynneL
Troubleshooter
Options
Copied from Pugs1957 from another post: I've experienced this. The solution is to turn off chat features and wait 8 days before turning it back on. During this waiting time your phone gets deregistered from the chat server.
Don't be tempted to try within the 8 days because it resets the clock.
Fortunately, it rarely happens.
Kenneth-071
Navigator
Options

Its a waiting game then I guess, will try that, thanks for the info @ynneL

0 Likes
AndrewL
Options

@Kenneth-071: When the time comes, please can you also ensure that you head to Settings > Connections > More Connections Settings > Rich Communications, and toggle this option on. Following this step, open the Messages app > Tap the 3 dots in the top right > Settings > Chat Settings > Chat Features > On. 

0 Likes
Kenneth-071
Navigator
Options

Well, here we are 9 days later and still getting the same 'Registration Failed' message upon trying again. Samsung really needs to update their messaging app & add the ability to verify your phone number when registering for chat features like in the Google messages app.

0 Likes
Solution
Kenneth-071
Navigator
Options

I've read in another topic that you have to make sure that the Rich Communications option is turned on @ Settings > Connections > More Connection Settings, however that option isn't available on my device (for some reason).

Option missing on SM-A715FOption missing on SM-A715F

But that doesn't matter, because I finally managed to re-register RCS/Chat Features on the default Samsung Messages app:

Successfully Re-RegisteredSuccessfully Re-Registered

I basically had to install the Google Messages app from the Play Store, then register for chat features with my number on that messaging app, then switch the default messaging app back to Samsung Messages and when prompted to enter my phone number to register for chat features again it eventually registered successfully. Though it took like 4 - 5 tries swapping between Google & Samsung Message apps before it finally worked.

It just seems to me that if Samsung were to add a way of verifying your phone number when registering for chat features that this wouldn't even be an issue.

0 Likes
Sharelle
First Poster
Options

mines still not working hast worked since I got this device A71 over a year ago & its a great feature, I've tried every solution that's been posted and it's still not working.

0 Likes
squeeky2009
Apprentice
Options

to all that is having the Samsung messages chat registration fail I have found the SOLUTION go to google app store and download carrier services once installed you should be able to use chat on your Samsung messages 

I hope this sorts the problem for every one 

0 Likes