Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Annoying Chrome Pop Up on Switching On

(Topic created on: 08-06-2021 10:03 AM)
Esseven
Journeyman
Options

Recently, my Galaxy S7 has started opening up Chrome when I switch the phone on and Chrome then finds a succession of adverts and sales sites.  It even overrides what I am doing on the phone after a few moments of inactivity with more ads.

It looks like I have accidentally downloaded this or some malware has found its way in.

Any ideas as to how I can get rid of it?

I have the latest version of the OS on my phone.

0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Clearing your browser cache should work.

View solution in context

0 Likes
8 REPLIES 8
xSteveuk
Mastermind
Options
Download and run malwarebytes
Is excellent removing malware
antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
Do what Steve recommends, Chrome doesn't typically behave like that so you may well have a browser hijacker at minimum on your S7
0 Likes
Esseven
Journeyman
Options

Thanks for the posts.  I've got Malwarebytes running now but it will take some time to run through.  I ran the onboard (McAfee) virus scan earlier but nothing found.  I'll post the results of the Malwarebytes when it's done.

0 Likes
Esseven
Journeyman
Options

Hello again.  Malwarebytes found one app that identified as malware.  It was a barcode scanner!  I have deleted it but unfortunately, my Chrome issue is still there.

Any further suggestion would be welcome,

0 Likes
Solution
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Clearing your browser cache should work.
0 Likes
xSteveuk
Mastermind
Options
0 Likes
Esseven
Journeyman
Options

Thanks for all the posts and links.  All very helpful.  It was the cache being cleared that cracked it in the end.

Esseven
Journeyman
Options

.....carelessly, I clicked the wrong post (my own!) as the solution.  Can I correct this?

0 Likes