Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the point of the bedding cycle?

(Topic created on: 29-01-2023 10:19 PM)
Members_w8Rr8Ys
First Poster
Options

What is the point of the bedding cycle on my washing machine? It has a 2kg weight limit and yet my perfectly normal duvet cover, two pillow cases and undersheet from a double bed come in at 2.5kg. So it doesn't seem to be intended for routine washing. I can was three beds worth on a standard cotton programme.

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5
andy_in_ireland
Helping Hand
Options

I think if you use the Cottons programme you might find the drum rotation , spin speed , number of rinses not optimal for your bedding ... of course nothing bad should happen if you put bedding on Cottons programme , but if you just use the preset for cottons on bedding it might be only 2 rinses , 1400rpm spin speed and not gentle rotation when washing . 

Bedding cycle could preset to 800rpm, 3 or more rinses, gentle drum rotation and extra soaking time to relax the fibres... this should all help with making the sheets and covers as nice and soft as possible as with helping to minimise the creases . 
Same goes for why it says 2kg max weight, to optimise cleaning the sheets and minimise the creases - nothing bad will happen if you put over 2kg of washing , because the water level of the machine should still put more water into the drum accordingly .. only thing you might get if you do put more than 2kg is not optimal wash of the items, you may get less detergent and or less fabric softener for the items (because the machine especially  if you have autodose) will accordingly only add enough detergent and softener for 2kg and you have put in over 2kg so the washing will be under-dosed. 
Plus the preset for bedding may dictate that with 2kg the sheets will come out perfectly clean with the correct dosage, time to wash, and less creases - over 2kg weight on a cycle that says 2kg max may mean under dose of detergent or softener, not reaching the correct heat (because more cold water going into drum because of extra weight) , creasing the items more because you have added more than 2kg of weight and there is less room in the drum for the sheets to tumble around as they wash . also if the machine says 2kg max for the cycle and you put over 2kg then if your machine has 'time to end' display then the extra weight could make the time to end figure incorrect (if it does not change automatically) 

What you could try if you do have over 2kg of sheets/bedding is a cottons wash at 40'c , set rinses to 3 rinses and set spin to 800rpm and see how you get on with that ... but then you might then get an extra long time to wash, longer than if you put it on a bedding cycle. 

Hope this helps

Members_w8Rr8Ys
First Poster
Options

Thanks for taking the time to write such a comprehensive reply, Andy.

I understand the logic you put forward, although I think you refute your own assertion that 'nothing bad will happen if you put over 2kg of washing'. In my book, having bed linen not properly cleaned because not enough detergent was used counts as 'bad'.

However, my question stands. In practical terms, what is the point of this cycle? , Cleaning the bedsheets properly for my bed on this programme would need two separate washes. A family of four, assuming the children slept in single beds, would need four washes. Seriously?

Thanks about the tip for modifying the cottons wash. But surely this reinforces my question. If you can replicate the bedding wash without the 2kg limit by modifying the cotton wash, what is the point of having a bedding wash?

0 Likes
andy_in_ireland
Helping Hand
Options

maybe 2 fold answer. maybe for people who do not know what settings for heat/rinse/spin speed - putting it on a bedding cycle takes the guesswork out of it and chooses the most optimal cycle for bedding , and also to help sell the machine. If they had not put a bedding cycle on the machine but other competitors did on their washing machines then people would be complaining that their Samsung washing machine "has not got a bedding cycle"

EcoBubbleUser944
Pathfinder
Options
Tried this programme today with a load of curtains on my machine as recommended by the clothing care add-on in SmartThings... it ended up sudslocking my machine during the first spin. The auto dose setting was set to high but it all got very bubbly - Bubble soak was on too so that was the nail in the coffin. I've never ever seen bubbles coming out of the detergent drawer before. On my old WD806U4SAGD which lasted 7 years, never did I see suds coming out of the dispenser. I checked the machine afterwards and checked the 2 auto dose tanks. I didn't see anything foaming inside them thankfully and the machine was fine when I ran a quick wash after the bedding cycle was complete. So either the bedding programme is poorly programmed or my not-so-cheap machine failed to detect a sudslock that an Indesit or Vestel built machine would recognise lol. The water levels on the bedding cycle are quite high which I like - higher than Cotton and Hygiene Steam.

Before the WD806U4SAGD, I had an Indesit Moon which didn't have a conventional detergent dispenser. Its fair to say its a win to 'Moony' here despite the smelly drum and mouldy door seal, and a red card to 'Leafy' - the name of my machine due to its energy efficiency. I'm not liking my new machine as much as I thought I would. The software is quite buggy sometimes, and it can occasionally do the unexpected. I still like it though. Never did I think that I would ever be able to wash my bedding and towels on a Cotton 60⁰C using just 1kWh of energy.
0 Likes
EcoBubbleUser944
Pathfinder
Options
Now that I've calmed down a bit after that drama, the sudslocking incident would've happened on any programme except the ones with interim spins. Sorry for going off topic. Anyway, I noticed a higher water level, slightly longer interim spins than a Cotton or Colours wash, and shorter tumbles throughout. A surprisingly decent wash. I would've liked maybe a 1000rpm spin instead of 800rpm like you get on an LG but you can always do an extra spin at the end.
0 Likes