Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Twin Door Freon Leak

(Topic created on: 28-06-2023 11:59 AM)
Sara Corona
Explorer
Options

I am posting because I am throughly disappointed with the Samsung side by side fridge and their customer service.
We have a 3 year old refrigerator which has stopped working. The freezer's temperature is stating it is -18 but it is actually -10. And the ice maker stopped working. Of course the warranty is only good for 2 years.
The repair guy suggested by Samsung came out and stated that it is most likely the refrigerant liquid (freon) which must be replaced as there is a suspected leak. He stated this would be upwards of €800 or more. And to basically get a new fridge. He would have to take the fridge to a repair shop for 3 weeks and would cost overall more than the fridge is worth. What a joke!
How can a 3 year old fridge be already broken and have a freon leak?!
I have already spent 120 euros just for Samsung's repair technician to come out and basically do nothing.
We lost a 100 euros in food and my baby's 1 month breast milk supply is also destroyed! I cant even store her breast milk because we have no freezer!

The complaints department at Samsung stated they will pay for materials but why should I pay 120 per hour for labor for a faulty product! This is unacceptable.
I urge anyone thinking about buying Samsung appliances to think again.

Anyone else experience something like this? Is such a leak dangerous to our health? I asked Samsung via chat if it is, they said no. I asked if they can provide information about the liquid used and they provided nothing.

20 REPLIES 20
AntS
Options

Hi @Sara Corona , Which country are you based in?

If you are based in the UK or Ireland please send us a Private Message to our Sam_UK account for us to have a look into this for you. Guide on how to send a Private/Direct Message here if you need it: https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/samsung-lounge/how-to-send-a-private-message-on-the-samsung-comm... 

0 Likes
Sara Corona
Explorer
Options

Hello 

I am based in Germany but English speaking. 

0 Likes
AntS
Options

Thanks @Sara Corona. The team that looks after this language forum can only access UK & Ireland systems, so we wouldn't be able to look into this if your contact has been with Samsung Germany Support. We also have a German language Community here: https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/deutsch/ct-p/de?page=1&tab=setting:samsung.featured_topics , but I'll tag one of our German friends who look after that into this topic for you.

@DavidB , Unsure if you're able to help here. Something you and your team can look into?

0 Likes
DavidB
Options

Thank you, for tagging me, @AntS😊

Hello @Sara Corona, did you already have contact with our colleagues at "Lob & Kritik"?

DavidB.png
Sara Corona
Explorer
Options

Hello

yes I contacted them. They are saying they will pay for the materials which is a joke because the costs of repairing is far more then the cost of a new fridge. The freon leak is part of the sealed system and should be covered by Samsung. This is clearly an indicator of a faulty product since it was running just fine for three years and just stopped working. 
i have seen several customer complaints about Samsung freezers failing so I know this is a common issue.

I am not sure who else to contact outside of a lawyer at this point. This is unacceptable

0 Likes
DavidB
Options

Hello @Sara Corona

You can send me your customer number by private message. However, your refrigerator is no longer under warranty. Accordingly, offers from Samsung are made as a gesture of goodwill. You have already received a goodwill offer, even if you don't like it. I don't think my colleagues will make you another offer. But I'll be happy to ask again for you.

DavidB.png
0 Likes
Sara Corona
Explorer
Options

Hello

do you mean the serial number? What is a customer number?

And not sure what you mean by an "offer of goodwill". The fridge is basically rendered useless. The repair guy stated it’s pointless to even fix as it is a  sealed system issue.  Not only is it leaking freon but the motherboard is also broken due to the sealed system issue. It basically costs the same or more as a new fridge to repair. Why would I invest over 1,000€ to repair a fridge when I could buy a new one for the same price? 
Also the repair man said it would take upwards of 3-4 weeks to repair. So I would have to pay costs to send it off for repair. Plus I spent 120€ for the repair guy yesterday so he could tell me the fridge is junk. And I lost 100€ in food and my infants breastmilk storage. 

A refrigerator should last more than 3 years. I would be ashamed as a seller to sell a product which is faulty to a customer and put them through so much stress. 

0 Likes
Sara Corona
Explorer
Options

Samsung should send a new fridge or refund my money so I can buy a new fridge elsewhere that actually works past 3 years. If your fridges only mast 3 years, I shudder to think the impact on the environment 

0 Likes
DavidB
Options

I completely understand your frustration and am happy to check with my colleagues. I just want to lower your expectations. You can find the customer number in the emails you received from the "Lob & Kritik" team.

DavidB.png
0 Likes