Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not So Smart Control

(Topic created on: 03-10-2020 09:51 AM)
BarringtonK
Explorer
Options
When the washer is connected for smart control, after about 15 minutes it goes to sleep mode. Meaning it is no longer able for smart control.

Not very smart

How do I get around this?
17 REPLIES 17
trikola
Student
Options

I am trying to get my new dryer (DV80T5240AT/S4) running through SmartThings and have not achieved any app-initiated start. Connecting phone and dryer is ok, but the smartthing app allows only monitoring, not controlling. In the dryer part of the app it says "Smart control on your dryer is off." But I can send something to the dryer - I see it happen on the dryer screen, but no way to start the dryer. I have the WiFi-symbol on on the dryer but not the phone symbol at the same time and never seen the lock(?)-symbol. The phone symbol (together with a "AP") appears only after press-/holding the phone button and in this mode nothing else seems to happen.

More strangely, even the Smartthing app on my Samsung phone obviously is connected (in some way) with the dryer and I have a Samsung account, I can not see the dryer on the account page and I haven't found away to put it into the account on the web manually even the headline says something like "...can add devices".

0 Likes
Paul_HL
Samsung Pro
Options

just press the smart control button once , don't hold down that will put it in ap mode. Essentially put stuff in dryer press smart control button then you can configure at a later time. Opening the door after setting smart control will break the link and you will only be able to monitor 

trikola
Student
Options

Thanks. It works for me now after another factory-reset and renewed setup.

I am 70% sure that the smart control button did not work as it should to switch the SC-sign on before factory reset - after all I have tried so much with it and the SC-symbol never turned on (together with the WiFi-symbol). But 70% is much less than 99 % 🙄

0 Likes
Grandpapoz
Student
Options

Hi

Thanks for this info. Just received my washer and dryer before Christmas and still trying out the smart things settings. I have enabled the stay connected in the app but you say you have to turn it on every time at the washer or dryer is that correct. If so i think Samsung should do an update to keep it connected.

0 Likes
ooomickyooo
First Poster
Options

I don't think Stay Connect is doing what it's claimed as" Turned off or the door is opened. even after a cycle has ended". Because you have to press Smart Control all the time anyway if you want to do so. Very frustrating. 

andy_in_ireland
Troubleshooter
Options

@ooomickyooo wrote:

I don't think Stay Connect is doing what it's claimed as" Turned off or the door is opened. even after a cycle has ended". Because you have to press Smart Control all the time anyway if you want to do so. Very frustrating. 

some kind of safety feature - thats why you have to keep manually selecting it on the panel - something to do with if it happened automatically and a kid or animal crawled in and you started it automatically remotely from your phone without being there ... could be dangerous 😁  (of course I could be wrong) 

HawnDude
First Poster
Options

That’s ridiculous! If the door is opened, the feature deactivates. That’s a proper safety mechanism. It makes absolutely no sense that you must push the button every time to activate the remote control feature.. Think about it! What’s the purpose of being able to remotely control your washer if you have to physically push a button on the washer or dryer every time? So the dryer stops and I don’t realize it until 20 minutes later and now I cannot start another cycle? How does forcing me to run home to push the Smart Control button again make this anything but a dumb feature? Plain and simple, this is yet another case of Samsung trying to be smart but failing. This is why I do not buy their cell phones!

<<Rant>> Their software is always full of bugs and they make the most illogical decisions when it comes to features and even posting of system messages, notifications, and user instructions. Samsung, should have smart people review their feature implementation decisions and have native English speakers correct their system messages, instructions, etc before marketing them to English speakers. Their lack of attention to proper grammar and their introduction of poorly thought-through features is a testament to their self-destructive pride. They need to higher smarter, more competent people! <<End rant>>

Shanael95
Apprentice
Options

I guess this makes sense... To a degree. I was about to say there should be a workaround for those of us that don't need/want the feature. However, I wouldn't be scared to bet that someone would try to sue Samsung if THEY started their OWN dryer without checking and then realized someone or something was inside. I hate it but I guess I understand. Thanks for enlightening us.