Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My experience with the fuse on the WF70F5E2W4X/EU

(Topic created on: 19-05-2020 02:49 PM)
firestarter
Explorer
Options

Hello,
I've seen a few reports of people having issues with Eco bubble washing machines cutting out or not powering on.
Ours failed during a cycle and then the next day no power. Whilst waiting for the repair engineer over a few days our electric tripped. Thought nothing of it until removing the washing machine ready for the repair.

The plug smelt funny and on closer inspection the fuse had melted and scorched the socket.

This machine is just under 5 years old. I find it strange that some of the questions on the phone during the technical quiz of the problem related to scorch marks around the plug socket. The engineer arrived and replaced the electric cable and also blown controller board..... handy having the spares already on the van.

Have Samsung a problem with boards and electrics in these machines???? Will we see a pattern in the next few years and see a denial of issues like the Hotpoint fires??

washer plug.jpeg

152 REPLIES 152
junster83
Journeyman
Options

I’ve lost track of how many people have posted about the same issue since I posted. It is clearly a recall that should have been made. Mine was triggered by the delay start function. not sure if that’s your case  

contact a moderator from previous chats and they’ll organise for someone to come and replace the cord for free. 

0 Likes
junster83
Journeyman
Options

See above message from moderator Andrew. He suggests to private message Sam_UK

0 Likes
garmcqui
Student
Options

Thanks for the update. 
So did they just replace the plug and that’s it? Was your machine stopping mid cycle also, or did you just happen to notice the burnt plug? 

my Machine seems to be dead, despite a new fuse etc. 

0 Likes
garmcqui
Student
Options

Thanks, yes I have messaged them. 👍

0 Likes
Trebor1981
First Poster
Options

I have also had the same issue, sizzling socket burnt fuse, power cuts out from time to time. Although machine 6 years old not sure expect such dangerous issues 

0 Likes
andy_in_ireland
Troubleshooter
Options

The heaviest power used on a washing machine is the heating element - should be about 1800w (maybe they have put more powerful elements on the machines that are affected by this issue?) and element should not be on constantly when washing (thermostat should turn it on and off) , and a good design is to power the electric element when wash motor/drum stopped, then switch off element when wash motor is going/drum going around - then you are not overloading the 13a plug .

Are people's plugs who have burnt out regularly setting 90'c washes I wonder? - because that would prolong the amount of time the 13a plug could be overloaded/get hot. 

Plus the UK 13a sockets are not very durable for high power usage over amount of time/constant use in one go - sure you could plug a kettle into one but a kettle would not be on anywhere near as long time as a washing machine heating up water on a hot wash cycle.

In the Europe version of these Samsung washing machines the washing machine plug would rated at 16amp and the Socket it was plugged into would be rated at 16A too (Schuko plug)  without a fuse in the plug, so more heavy duty, unlike the 13a plugs we use in the UK with a 13a fuse in it. 

In the old days of Washing machines with Hot & Cold fill a lot of the time the water coming in through the Hot inlet pipe on the back of the machine would take strain off the Element in the washing machine and would not have to heat the water up from stone cold, as the cold fill only washing machines of these days have to . 

0 Likes
Members_xtZzU2M
First Poster
Options

Just happened to us this today, I could smell a really strong bad electrical smell and I was searching high and low for it... Went out, got home and my wife said washing machine not working... Opened the cupboard where it's plugged in, wow! Definitely could smell fire...

Checked the plug and could see all the plug/ pin/ fuse was charred and my plug facia is black and scortched.

I have sent a DM, to SAM_UK... Pending a response.

PXL_20230814_205927629.jpg

0 Likes
Sam_UK
Options

Cheers @Members_xtZzU2M. Just a quick post to say that we've got your DM, and replied. 

0 Likes
Whyismyplugonfire
First Poster
Options

This happened to me yesterday with my Ecobubble Samsung WF8EF5E0W4W. No warning smell or sign prior to failure. Plug socket is visible to me on a daily basis and there was no sign of smoke prior to failure. Also didn't trip the fuse box. Fuse had burnt and melted the plug and has damaged my plug socket. Machine has been reliable up to this point although it probably is only used only three times a week at most. I clean the filter often and plug was definitely fully plugged in so I don't understand why such a failure has happened to myself and others. I am going to also notify the company I purchased the product from so they are aware of what is happening.

IMG_20231002_080057~2.jpg

IMG_20231002_080016.jpg

0 Likes
AaronAJ
Options

@Whyismyplugonfire This is not something we like to see. We take these matters very seriously. Please drop a message to @Sam_UK then we can escalate this further

0 Likes