Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z Flip 3 Screen Cracked along fold!!

(Topic created on: 01-12-2021 11:09 AM)
Reynolds88
Apprentice
Options

Screenshot_20211201-215556_Gallery.jpg

I was so stoked about my new Z 3 flip. Thought it was the best phone I've ever had!! Woke up one morning to the above. This is not a photo of my phone as I couldn't take a photo of it as I had no other cameras around. So it was quite easy to typing "Samsung Z Flip 3 Screen problems" and have countless pictures of my exact problem of my phone. Right down to the tinny cracks you can see on the screen. The phone is 28days old, I have tiny scuff mark up the top, from before I got my cover. Now Samsung are saying this is physical damage done by me. I swear on my children's lives I never dropped my phone!! That want charge me $410 and take $110 of as good will!! I would happily pay that if I had done the damage!! There is a major fault in my phone. Articles and pictures as soon as you type into Google. It's the exact damage I have on every photo. If the phone was dropped then how is countless people have dropped to cause the exact same damage. There is a fault in my phone and Samsung aren't taking responsibility!!

163 REPLIES 163
Sneaky96
Student
Options

I'd love to add to this list of complaints on the Flip 3, like all of you, I suffered the dreaded crease on the screen by the fold. My phone lasted a bit over a year so it was out of warranty. I got a replacement from T-Mobile insurance but now I am afraid how long this one will last. Oh, by the way, when y screen died, half of it turned black and half was unusable. I moved my old info to the new phone except the Google Authenticator stuff which I couldn't because I couldn't scan QR Code. I tried casting to PC but when I get to Authenticator, the screen turns black (security feature). I read that Dex could bypass this but then I find out Flip 3 doesn't have Dex. FML, so here, still looking for a solution. Anyone at Samsung reading this? Let's agree that your screen design sucks. Do you need a class action lawsuit to do something about it?

0 Likes
ninab123
First Poster
Options
Do u need to have it fixed or will it black.out mine just done.the same
0 Likes
peteq1
Journeyman
Options
Hi nina this is the problem.. samsung wont accept is a fault so will have to pay about 300 for their repair dept to fux !!

They claim we danaged.. so not in warranty

Only other avenue is insurance if u have and then you will pay excess

However way it is it is wrong!!!
0 Likes
ninab123
First Poster
Options
Yeah it cost me that last time blamed me as s reen was going black n now to top it off screen cracked I wondered how long it will work lkkd this
0 Likes
Chris789
Apprentice
Options
I'm now on my second fold with a cracked screen. I bought the second one when I sent the first for repair, assuming it would be warranty repair. Nope. So now I'm just running this one into the ground, and it only gets worse. The crack is growing and also it now makes the screen go LEDs go off. I have to open and close the phone or spam the lock button several times for it to come back to life. You can hear audio when the screen is blacked out. Just an awful design fault and samsung have really let themselves down.
0 Likes
peteq1
Journeyman
Options
Same
0 Likes
Alvie_Huit
Apprentice
Options

I think it might be time for consumers to take class action against samsung for this phone (?).

My current experience mirrors that of everyone on this thread, and I’m sure there are so many more people out there not speaking up.

I purchased my Samsung ZFlip from JB HiFi (Australia) at the end of April 2022.  It had just gone on sale having been superseded by the ZFlip 2however it still carried both full shop and Samsung warranty, on top of the standard Aust. consumer protection rights.  It was such a good deal the price was worth a go despite the consumer rumbling of issues.  I was hoping i'd get lucky and not experience any, but i was wrong.

2 weeks into my ownership, my phone suddenly started overheating with little use and close whatever app was running at the time, ie. google maps - whilst driving – annoying.  The phone would remain on but with a black screen, rendering the phone useless. 

Long story short and after much faffing around, my phone was fixed by an authorised Samsung repairer, and I went on my merry way.  

Literally 12 months to the day, my phone broke down again.  Last week I opened my phone to find a weird opaque-like crease in the fold exactly like that of this original poster -  Reynolds88.  There was no reason whatsoever to account for it. I treasured and babied my phone.  It was pristine. I never banged it, dropped it nor opened and closed it a million times a day. I'm 50+.  I'm not addicted to social media, etc., nor on it every 2 seconds. My daily uses are practical: Call. Text. Google. That's it. As such, I was completely perplexed.

I immediately went back to the store of purchase to enquire about repair/replacement and the problem had worsened. Green and pink vertical lines were now visible. To my horror, the bottom half of the screen blackened upon another close and open. My phone was dying fast.  The store was very helpful, giving me the option of having them follow it up or go direct with Samsung (like last time - no.thank.you).  To my surprise the person did warn me that Samsung would look at it and probably say it was 'user damage' and charge me if repairable.  Unbelievable. 

I wasn't sure if my phone was fully backed up so i was advised to go home and do so, but it was of no use as I found opening the phone made the visuals deteriorate further.

It's been a week and i've not heard back from Samsung as yet so hopefully no news is good news. I just hope that Samsung does the right thing. However, I won't be holding my breath.

My key takeouts are this:

1) buy the phone from a dealer that has good customer service with faulty items.  (my store kindly gave me a loaner phone as i didn't have a spare - Samsung would not do this which was really inconvenient).

2) obtain phone insurance for really expensive phones - particularly ones like this that have issues.

3) don’t waste a moment and do a back up on your phone as soon as you see the crease/crack.  The screen will die, fast.  It’s just a matter of time.

4) share your gripes.  As already mentioned, if Samsung continue to dodge their responsibility, then a class action should be filed against them to make them accountable.

Now, some food for though…In Aust, we are protected by the Competition & Consumer Act (2010) (which superseded the Commonwealth Trade Practices Act 1974 for those of you who studied consumer law circa 2000 like me).  Warranties mean nothing if a product as a whole, is not of reasonable working order, does not do what it was meant to, and does not last a reasonable amount of time after purchase. Tech should reasonable last about 5 years.  Even if Samsung says that the phone was broken because of ‘user damage’, one must look at the structural integrity of the phone itself and question how it could so easily be damaged by users so early on in the phone’s life.  ? ? ?

0 Likes
DG62
Apprentice
Options
Hi my Z3 was the same as this, in exactly the same place few more small cracks now. Have repair appointment for Friday at Samsung store. It is definitely a design fault as too many people complaining about the same issue. At almost £1000.00 a phone you would expect better from it and better treatment from Samsung. I'm in the UK let's see how their customer service is!
0 Likes
peteq1
Journeyman
Options
Wish you better luck than my first exerience.. denied a manufacturer fault and the repair department claimed a pressure point caused by my damage. Which was rubbish hardly used never dropped ended up using insurance and now replacement done the same
Poor product
0 Likes
peteq1
Journeyman
Options
Same experience
0 Likes