Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Why is so slow in install and update?

(Topic created on: 15-08-2022 03:07 AM)
Pietricello
Journeyman
Options

I start with a big "sorry" because i didn't searched the forum here so maybe i will speak about something just said. Well i bought a Samsung Z Flip3 5G on beginning of May. Suddendly i installed the proposed update to Android 12. I have to say that i'm not fan of Samsung or generally Android..anyway i have already a Realme Narzo 30 5G it is a low class Android phone with Android 11. Well straight to point? How come the Flip 3 with the monster Snapdragon 888 is so dramatically slower not only (obviously) compared to my iphone 12 but even compared with Realme low cost smarphone?

I find this unbeliavable. Maybe i am obsessed so before writing here just because i used Samsung switch in the beginning i fully reset the phone and did not used any backup just installed one by one every app avoiding so even the updates....i also followed the procedure to clear cache more than once...well this phone is very very slow not only installing new apps  but worst updating the just installed. 

Obviusly no connectivity problem because i use close to everytime wifi (it's very fast) and the download itself is a flash....it's just the installation/update so slow.

I add i don't use power saving and also checked "Enhanced Processing" so i think i did all i can to enjoy (on the paper) the best performance so how come?

Does someone noticed about this topic? Is there something else i could do to make this lovely phone "worhts" as Samsung declare to be?

Thanks,

Pietro.

7 REPLIES 7
Solution
Glenntech
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
All the phones will have different software updates and will take different times.
Things like the Realme will normally get a basic software containing security patch and general information.
IPhones are completely different in the way they update software on their devices.
Samsung will not only have the basic android software patch updates etc
But OneUI software tweaks

As well as my Samsung phones, I have a Google Pixel 6 Pro. Even lite software updates on that phone can take forever to load.
So some update their devices in different ways
Pietricello
Journeyman
Options

Well thank you for explanation. I was not compared two different worlds (ios and android) but just the behaviour in 2 different Android phones positioned one in low/mid market and one on top market. I imagined litterally that "top" means as i can write it 🙂 On top of this i can understand the differences in basic (light) OS and UI and a lot of customizations that some brands as Samsung do. Anyway if even you with a Pixel Pro with 12 Gb of Ram report that updating load slow as well then my phones behaviour is to be considered normal for the kind of smartphones we are speaking about. Thanks for answer.

0 Likes
Glenntech
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Yes it's strange that it takes so ridiculously long for my Pixel to download and install.
My S22 Ultra does take a short while to do the same but no where near as long as the Pixel does
Like today's S22 Ultra software update, it was just over 1.5 Gb I think it was, this will include Samsung app updates as well. Like an all in one update.
Lite versions of phones will normally be around 100 Mb to 200 Mb.
Sometimes less.
0 Likes
badjona7an
Student
Options

I'm fine with included apps not with embedded ones that can neither be deleted nor restricted in any way by the OS, such that literally sit on top of the kernel and the only way you can deduce their presence by the abnormal battery drainage or overheating the phone for no apparent reason. This is purely illegal regardless whoever is doing it and if regulating Authority is aware this makes it even worse. Also if you are happy with the patch you are on, and since you can't roll back to it because the next one drains your battery twice as fast, Samsung shall not force you to: "Update now or postpone 15m-2h before we spam you again" ..this is ridiculous!

..btw I'm more than happy with Samsung products from hardware perspective I think they are top, but software 👎

0 Likes
Pietricello
Journeyman
Options

I totally agree with you but good hardware with poor software decreas the overall user experience. Even today after 3 months of usage this powerful snapdragon 888 and it's 8gb in the everyday life performs way worst that my "old" iPhone 12 with 4Gb Ram. This is ridicolous and as you wrote is due a bad optimization of the Samsung Software. Just for comparison i have a Realme Narzo 30 5G ...a less than 200€ phone with Android 11 and even it is faster than Flip3. Also i agree with you about the embedded apps. I could understand Apple because it made an its own OS then in 2 words i can understand being "closed" or hugely use native apps but Samsung is using Android nothing that they built and as i can see improved too much. So it could way better do not customize too much the phones and leave user free to choose which app they want or, at least, make possible to uninstall dozen of useless application that lead only to cunsume power and resources. BTW i love my Flip3 and i was fully aware that is way less performant of many other phones but i think that who buy this kind of foldable phone are (like me) not too much addicted to super-performance. Anyway it's a pity to mount a Ferrari engin to move a heavy train 😞

badjona7an
Student
Options

I like the 1st July patch, best so far in terms of battery preservation. It was less that 400MB, be Now they phushig me to update with 420MB patch, this is enough for me to deduce that it will be bloated. I don't want it yet I can neigher disable automatic updates nor disable notifications and spams..

0 Likes
Fiaz
First Poster
Options

I have the same problem, I have a Mi10T and galaxy S21 Ultra, and must say battery life is much better on my Mi phone, also updating apps from Google are much slower than Mi. My Mi phone just had 12 updates while my S21 ultra had 5 updates and the Mi 10T downloaded and installed all updates way before S21 updated it's apps.

0 Likes