Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple eSim support

(Topic created on: 07-06-2022 08:55 AM)
SergeDV
Explorer
Options

There is a lot of confusion on this topic. Can someone confirm the following statements:

1/ The Z Flip supports eSim AND nanoSim.

2/ The Z Flip supports TWO eSims.

3/ points 1 & 2 above work in EXACTLY the same way in terms of functionality***

and finally,

4/ If eSim support is provided by (phone model) manufacturer it is ALSO provided by (phone service) carrier, by default.
#esim

***point 3 above is important to understand better and is the source of much confusion.

If the answer to 1/ & 2/ is YES, then this should mean that 2 eSims will be "simultaneously active" in INCOMING mobile data (e.g. 2 active WhatsApp accounts, 1 on each eSim) but singularly active in OUTGOING data (calls, sms and mobile data as per the SIM CARD MANAGER settings screen). JUST LIKE the functionality of point 1, above.
RIGHT????  

0 Likes
8 REPLIES 8
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
1) correct
2)no, there is 1 esim only
3) no, you need to have different sims for data and calls, see https://ee.co.uk/help/help-new/getting-started-and-upgrading/setting-up-an-esim/how-do-i-use-dual-si...
This can only be set up one sim. See
https://faq.whatsapp.com/general/verification/using-one-whatsapp-account-on-multiple-phones-or-with-...

4) not necessarily
SergeDV
Explorer
Options

Cheers. I'll go with that (unless anyone has the courage to counter).

Interestingly, though, my SIM card Manager screen in Settings shows not only my existing eSim and nanoSim setup (I have 2 numbers) but also an "Add eSim mobile plan" button which is a bit misleading, functionally.

Thanks again. Most kind.

p.s. my WhatsApp example was not clear, sorry. I use WhatsApp on one number and WhatsApp business on the other. But this is the least of my worries.

SergeDV
Explorer
Options

I'll close out my own thread with an update based on recent experience.

I now have ONE (physical) SIM and TWO eSIMS installed on my Galaxy Z Flip. With this configuration the SIM and only ONE eSIM (at a time) is active for phone calls. However BOTH eSIMs are active for (internet) messaging!

To explain: One of my eSIMs is a private number and the other eSIM is a work number. (The physical SIM has a secondary use for me). I have WhatsApp & Telegram installed on the phone and associated with both eSIM numbers (so effectively "4" messaging apps: 2 private, 2 work). They all function regardless of which eSIM is active!! (The second WhatsApp is WhatsApp Business, btw and fyi).

So effectively, the only "restriction" I have to accept with this configuration is that phone and sms is only available for one of the eSIMs. This is absolutely acceptable for me as (internet) messaging is more important.

Hope this is of interest to someone. Cheers all.

JohnnyFlamenco
First Poster
Options

Are the SIMs all with the same carrier?  I'm trying to use a carrier in USA (Verizon) and one in Spain (Movistar)? But it appears my US-bought Flip3 has the option greyed-out.

0 Likes
SergeDV
Explorer
Options

No. Different carriers, different countries (Italy and Austria).

Are you saying that the "Add Mobile Plan" function is greyed out on the "SIM Card Manager" screen in Settings?

0 Likes
SergeDV
Explorer
Options

....just to be clear. If you have 2 eSims successfully installed on the phone you still can only use one of them at a time - you can only toggle between them, unfortunately.

Thankfully, though, any messaging apps associated with the numbers still work, regardless of which is toggled on or toggled off.

0 Likes
Members_GeonKOc
First Poster
Options

question(s);

I have flip2 and use local (NL) provider for both normal simslot and esim numbers here in the Netherlands. When I visit HongKong, I want to add extra esim card for datause only. Is this possible and do I have to shutdown my roaming for the NL simcards? 

0 Likes
SergeDV
Explorer
Options

Your normal (physical) sim card can and will stay active in HK with both eSims installed. BUT when you install the HK eSim you will be forced to toggle between the 2 eSims and therefore disable the NL eSim.

Samsung does not support multiple eSim usage - only the latest Google and Apple phone does. BUT even so, they still will not work if the carrier has not enabled the functionality too.

There is a (not so satisfactory) workaround: just before you toggle from the NL to the HK eSim, set the NL number to full call forwarding to the HK number. Then toggle to the HK eSim.

0 Likes