Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S24 Ultra 1tb First Impression

(Topic created on: 09-02-2024 02:38 AM)
PaulC59
Troubleshooter
Options
Following on from my previous post re Upgrade from S23U to S24U

I'm not expecting any major performance improvements but I have only noticed a few app glitches which isn't unusual after a phone upgrade and restoring a backup. I find if an app is misbehaving on first use, uninstalling the app and reinstalling usually sorts it out

It takes me a few days to set up my main apps which is a bit more complex with added security in apps and accounts such as 2 factor authentication etc so it's important to keep your old phone active whilst setting up the new one. For my own peace of mind I set up the app on the new phone first e.g banking, office etc and ensure everything is functioning properly on the new phone first and only then do I go to the old phone and remove the app I.e clear cache and data and then uninstall the app. This helps prevent recovery of personal account details within apps after a factory reset. I do this with all my important apps that use my personal info etc and any none important apps I leave for the factory reset

My first impression
The phone feels solid and well made and is very sharp in operation

The screen is flatter than on the S23U I.e not curved at the edges which I like and the smart view case sits slightly proud of the edges of the screen. This will be better for one handed use and will reduce occurrences of touching the edge of the screen with skin of fingers or palm whilst holding the phone

One thing I have noticed is the phone doesn't seem to take full advantage of the screen size I.e there quite a wide band of unused screen around the edge of the screen which makes everything smaller. This may be a settings or theme issue so too early to judge just yet but up to now the S23U displays more info bigger than the S24U but I need to check settings etc. I have chosen the dark theme setting during initial set up but I think I would prefer the light setting and haven't worked out if it's possible to change it yet as there doesn't seem to be the option in themes

When I first put my sim card in the Internet speed was super fast but with 2 sim cards in and WiFi active the network speed drops dramatically. I think this is a software issue and can be improved by switching off any that are not in use

Connection to external devices and NFC etc are super sharp and precise and feel very stable.

I cant give a performance update yet as i need to use it for longer and will be in the process of continuing activating stuff etc as its difficult to remember everything you have set up

However as a quick update my first impression is very positive

The phone and watch arrived a few days early and my S23U is packed ready for posting back via the trade in. I can update on the trade in process once complete, hopefully the 3rd party company won't find reasons to charge me a large fee on the trade in as the S23U is less than 6 months old

I'll do a more thorough update once I've had a chance to road test it properly and use more of the functions but up to now my opinion is positive and this post is only meant as a brief snapshot of first use

I have the S24U 1tb version
5 REPLIES 5
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Thank you for sharing your first impressions on your Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra @PaulC59  👍 

It is truly a powerful phone. 

Looking forward to hearing your next update.

😎

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Just to add if you haven't yet already have a look at the various tips and tricks types of videos on YouTube. 

😎

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

Reylob
Samsung Members Star ★
Options

What colour did you get?

I got my 1TB blue on the 6th. I also posted my first experience.

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/galaxy-s24-series/s24-ultra-an-early-true-blue-experience/m-p/91...

One thing that I just recently tried, was Quick Share, it is incredibly super fast. I got two, mine and my partner's,  sharing a big video of almost half a GB only took a few seconds. I was really impressed. WiFi 7 must be making a difference.

PaulC59
Troubleshooter
Options
I got the online exclusive blue 1tb

Yes I have noticed the direct connectivity is far superior on the S24U. Possibly due to UI 6.1 but most likely the faster processor

The charging is faster and battery life is much better than the S23U too

The ONE UI 6.1 is much less glitches than 6.0 but I think the increased processing power makes quite a difference too

I like the phone and think I chose right to upgrade. No regrets as yet
Reylob
Samsung Members Star ★
Options

You also got a true blue. 😀

The faster processor has something to do with it, but I think the main reason for the fast transfer between two S24 Ultra is the WiFi 7. The SD chipset, which is on the Ultra, supports WiFi 7, the other models support WiFi 6 (which it is fast as well).

Charging speed for me seems about the same when compare with the my S22 Ultra. I have used slow charge and super fast only once today.

I assume that the first firmware update will polish a few niggles. I like the ONE UI 6.1 too. I know that experiences are different across all the owners, but like you I am very happy with the phone so far.

I have not found problems yet. I do not use some the apps that people are having problems with. My only  criticism/recommendation is that the stock camera should be better on release date. I took some good pictures, and some that were not so good, regarding noise and detail. However, this is nothing that won't improve with future updates.

This phone definitely has quite a few technological and cosmetic improvements worth having.