Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After the April Update: lets remind costumer support about what is still not working with the camera

(Topic created on: 30-03-2024 09:39 AM)
SmartphoneRAW
Voyager
Options

Stock camera app:

• unsupported resolutions can be selected on all cameras

• yet if you select 50MP on the cameras that support it, access to the cameras that can't is restricted, regardless that you can also select 50MP when you are there

• if you disable "adaptive pixel" you can't take 50MP 5x shots in Auto Mode anymore (since first update)

• object tracking AF is missing when using resolutions higher than 12MP

• there is no raw photo support, the dng files created have no highlight and shadow recovery potential when compared against the jpgs, practically a jpg in the dng container

• ProMode labels the 3x cam as 12MP while it is and outputs 10MP
  • 240 FPS not selectable in ProVideo

ExpertRAW:

• dng files also seem odd when compared with the same jpg (same as ProMode)

• 24MP not working on the 5x camera

• 24MP / 50MP offered on all the cameras even with lower res, just remove that option if it's not possible

Feature requests:

• detect moving subjects and adjust shutter speed accordingly

• smart shutter speed limit for manual mode

• human and animal eye tracking AF without limitation in higher resolutions

• bring exposure presets from ExpertRaw to ProMode

• add burst mode to ProMode
  • if you don't want to bring back raw support, open up the camera API so third party apps can do 50MP dngs

I think this should be done at least every update until fixed, if not more often.

0 Likes
20 REPLIES 20
Joeeye
Maestro
Options
I'm curious what you mean by unsupported resolutions can be selected on all cameras. If you're referring to 200MP in various zoom lengths, please remember that the option to upscale to a digital resolution can be enabled, so I don't see this as a bug or issue.
0 Likes
SmartphoneRAW
Voyager
Options

1st upscaling 10MP to 200MP is really dumb.

2n the behavior makes no sense if you select 50MP on a camera that actually can do it you can't select a camera anymore that can't do it, but if you are at a camera that can't do it already you can select it. And if you do you can't switch back to camera modules that actually can do it.

Make up your mind Samsung:

1. either unlimited access to all resolution and cameras with idiotic upscaling
  2. unlimited access to all cameras but only show actually supported resolutions
  3. block camera modules if they don't support the resolution (S23U behavior)

I prefer 2 at the moment it's totally random.

0 Likes
Joeeye
Maestro
Options
That's your opinion about upscaling 10MP (why 10MP btw?) to 200MP, not fact. I'm still unsure why that matters in any event. The way I see it, it simply notifies me that I'm not using the standard 12MP binned mode as all previous Ultras have done since the S20 Ultra. So for me there's a perfectly practical reason for keeping it this way.

0 Likes
SmartphoneRAW
Voyager
Options

I don't know, wouldn't call it an opinion. I think that could be considered a fact that this is dumb.

10MP because the 3x camera is 10MP. 

Ok you think it is practical that the combination of allowed resolutions and hidden or accessible cameras should be totally random. Now that's an opinion, even though a very odd one.

0 Likes
Joeeye
Maestro
Options
It's neither hidden nor inaccessible. They're also not random either. I'd say you lack experience in operation of Samsungs flagships, because since the S20 Ultra, it's very much been a case where anything optical was handled with 12MP mode and selecting outside of that meant all zoomed shots were off the main sensor. It's true that the introduction of a 50MP 5x lens has altered that dynamic somewhat, but everything else has remained 100% the same and consistent with the Ultra series. I agree maybe the 50MP mode may need some reworking now tbf, but there are far worse issues I believe they need to look into first before worrying about that.
0 Likes
SmartphoneRAW
Voyager
Options

If I look at my phone I see a different scenario. But I will not waste my time creating a table of all the combinations that are possible and not possible, as you would probably deny that too.

As you already result to attacking me personally "lack of experience" instead of haven a factual argument.

0 Likes
Joeeye
Maestro
Options
That wasn't meant as a personal attack and I apologise if you felt that way. I'm merely expressing to you the point that in prior Samsung Ultra devices (since the 108MP in the S20 series) all camera resolution functions operate in the same manner. For me it's a matter of consistency and using what is already known. I can understand if this may be your first Samsung Ultra phone and how it's modes and operations can be confusing so again, apologies if you felt any personal offence.
0 Likes
SmartphoneRAW
Voyager
Options

settingsmess.jpg

I actually made that table (someone has to do it). So in what world is this camera/resolution selection procedure logical, reasonable or consistent?

0 Likes
Joeeye
Maestro
Options
It's quite obvious from your table actually. If you look at the 12MP modes, it's easy to access and use every lens, just as it's always been on prior Ultras. With the other modes, I can see which lens do not allow for switching to as easily (but still possible) which, by your own words, would use dumb upscaling. There are reasons why you would use the main sensor over any of the other telephoto lenses, having the option to switch to 200MP mode is just a simple way to force it from a UI standpoint. Otherwise, how else do you propose Samsung allow users to do it? Uproot and change camera mode operation entirely from scratch?

I also think you're forgetting that the static zoom buttons aren't the only way to change zoom lengths. If you used pinch zoom or simply clicked on the static 1x button, you would notice all those "inaccessible" zoom options aren't quite so inaccessible as you think.
0 Likes