Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S23 Ultra USB-C external DAC problem

(Topic created on: 31-03-2023 10:48 PM)
Speakerman
First Poster
Options

Previously I have a note 10+

been using it to connect external DAC like iFi, Topping no problem works flawlessly.

Just swap to this new S23Ultra. everything crumble down when i connect the external DAC it doesnt work.

Once i connect the DAC, it plays song for 2 seconds. (it does work for 2 seconds) then my phone goes to freeze and a hard reboot.
try on multiple audio app, gallery, youtube, deezer all freeze and reboot

Tried many times it doesn't work.
1)go to developer mode, disable USB routing(done) nope still reboot
2)try giving permission to Samsung USB-C headset Music and Audio permission, still freeze and reboot ( no storage permission)
3) Wipe Cache Partition tried doesn't work

nothing works, now i cant enjoy music with external dac. 
Anyone got similar problem?

14 REPLIES 14
Eevoh
First Poster
Options

I have a similar problem with my iFi Go Link USB-C DAC.
When connected with my Galaxy S23 Ultra, I get a cracking sound. DAC is OK, since it works excellent with my PC.
But connecting it to my S23 Ultra, I cannot use it.

JimboSlim
Student
Options

I have a similar issue connect my new S23+ to my Schiit Modi+ DAC. It will stream audio and video fine, for maybe 10 minutes, then the audio will start screeching for 10-15 seconds, randomly, a dozen times per hour. My old S10 worked just fine. Must be some kind of Android or Samsung audio driver issue.

Ben170
Student
Options

Same issue With a base model S23, just learned about DAC's and was excited to use one. It works on my Windows 11 laptop but not my S23. I may have to use my s10 as a music player until this lame issue is fixed.

JimboSlim
Student
Options

Hi Ben:

I'm sorry to hear that you're having the same problem with your S23 as I am. Well, only half sorry. I'm just glad that I'm not the only one with this problem. Maybe if enough people start complaining, the Samsung  Android team will do something about it.

By the way, which DAC is giving you this issue?

0 Likes
Ben170
Student
Options

I'm new to this so apologies if I'm wrong on anything, I have cheap Amazon Dosmix dac that uses the "Qualcomm" chip. It works perfectly with my windows 11 dell and my old S10.

I ordered another cheap one that uses the "CX31993" chip, to test on my 23.

Eventually I plan to get a nice fiio model, assuming it works on my phone, im guessing the Bluetooth models would be a safe bet.

MayDay2
First Poster
Options

Hello,

Same problem here. My Soundblaster GC7 made popping sounds during playback, which was irritating but not as bad as others here. I tested my headphones on another device and they were fine. I figured it was the DAC, so I ordered 2 portables from Amazon: Fosi DS1 and Fiio Q3. Both have popping too. I'm glad I searched this issue bc I thought I was going crazy. I tested the DACs with my galaxy tablet and no popping.

0 Likes
eddzo
First Poster
Options
I have a Samsung 9
0 Likes
DaveLorde
Explorer
Options

I'm using a Cambridge Audio DacMagic XS DAC between my S23+ and B&W PX8 headphones via the BubbleUPnP app, the Qobuz app, Plex, Neutron Player, or the B&W app without any problems. I just tried a FiiO DAC which also works fine...

No special settings enabled ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

0 Likes
hardy_yan
First Poster
Options

I just tried out some of my DACs on hand and seem to have found the culprit of the issue, but that still needs Samsung to fix it.

There were no clicks and pops when using DACs with a microphone input (TRRS), but if your DAC does not have a microphone input, like the one you have mentioned, or a bunch of other Hi-Fi targeted DAC, the S23 will make clicks and pops all over the place.

I have tried multiple DACs without mic input and all of them click and pop on my S23 Ultra, and once I try those with mic input, the problem goes away, which all USB-C audio devices Samsung sells have a microphone input, that might also explain why they did not know the problem beforehand.

I have filed a report on Samsung Members just now, but I'm not too optimistic about that since the app seems to report the problem back to customer service in my country, rather than to Samsung directly.