Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S23 ultra - GPS issues with Google Maps

(Topic created on: 18-02-2023 09:34 PM)
Wayneo08
Explorer
Options

Is there going to be a fix for gps issues with Google Maps anytime soon?

129 REPLIES 129
S23Ultra1TB
Pioneer
Options

So there's literally no way to be without a phone for a period of time before getting a new one or replacement sent out?

That basically means two very big data transfers (if I decide to get a temp phone at least in the interim).

There's also no way to return the phone on the Samsung website for a full refund based on the product being faulty.

I'm a bit tired of these elongated RMA processes taking weeks

0 Likes
Lance113
Explorer
Options

Go thru your service provider but first call them and let them schedule you a repair appointment first they will make notes that the  phone is none repairable 

0 Likes
S23Ultra1TB
Pioneer
Options

I don't have a service provider as I purchased the phone directly and outright from Samsung

0 Likes
Lance113
Explorer
Options

Let your provider know that you would like to take the phone to a repair shop of there choice but close to home. They will have the phone for about 30 min or so they will ale the notes letting your provider know that the phone has a bad internal antenna then they will send you a replacement phone and you will a 30 days to return it or they will charge you for the price of the phone. So I encourage you to get all your data backed up and transfer everything asap to send back to them

0 Likes
Lance113
Explorer
Options

The phone should still have a warranty also you have insurance so still who ever just know that samsung is not going be easy. That's why I say who ever your phone service is thru call them and tell them you are having issues. Or call your insurance but don't file a phone claim just tell them about the issue and can you have the phone tested.

0 Likes
Maverick08
First Poster
Options

I have been using S23 ultra for the last couple of months and had this issues loads of times, had to restart it to sort the issue and get the GPS back. not impressed at all given the hype around this phone.

0 Likes
catdad79
First Poster
Options
I have the same thing, it'll start off ok then when I'm moving I lose signal. Very annoying
0 Likes
S23Ultra1TB
Pioneer
Options

Report it and get it fixed. It'll be sorted under warranty, and it'll likely be a new motherboard (i.e. new phone internals). They'll switch out the existing internals for a new everything. It does mean you need to do a full complete backup.

It's a hardware issue, not software. Download GPS Status & Toolbox. The app will confirm it, and then it'll be a clear process to fix it. If you're not getting any GPS fixes, then your GPS module is busted and they'll either replace it or replace the whole mobo as explained above. o point waiting for a fix as it wont come.

It's likely your WiFi and other nearby WiFi and/or bluetooth devices are what cause the location to update - so it looks like it's working but it's not the GPS giving you location updates- so you never really "lose signal", because you dont have signal to begin with.

If you disable WiFi/bluetooth scanning (which they say "improves the accuracy of your location"), then it'll be pretty obvious. By enabling the wifi/bt scanning, you might be masking what's otherwise a pretty obvious problem - as was the case with me.

Samsung's troubleshooting steps suggests to enabling the setting, which causes some users to stop asking questions (especially if you live in a very densely populated city like London where there's a WiFi or bluetooth hotspot or device for every sq.ft of the city!) - it'll just look like your location works until you go for a drive at night somewhere remote and end up driving south thinking you're heading north.

0 Likes
Members_SE8mCin
First Poster
Options

I just had same problem on my wife's s23+. All you have to do is do to settings, my apps, maps, clear cache, clear data, and make sure u change permission setting as this is what stopping maps from navigating you. Microphone and location permission on. There's also setting which removes permissions if app is not being used make sure to untick it.

srskypuppy
First Poster
Options

@Members_SE8mCin wrote:

snip...There's also setting which removes permissions if app is not being used make sure to untick it.

I just unticked the *Remove permissions if app is unused* and so far it worked, I can now tap the screen with my finger to close Google Maps! Keeping my fingers crossed this fix sticks.

0 Likes