Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Face iD is bad

(Topic created on: 16-04-2024 09:09 AM)
wink-face
Journeyman
Options
I bought a Samsung S23+ recently. I have issues with my face id. I have had an iPhone as my recent phones and I never had this issue. When it's slightly dark, thr phone doesn't pick up or sense my face. It just keeps looking. Even though there is still light and it's not fully dark. With my husbands iPhone 14, it works perfectly even in full darkness. Does anyone know why it's like this? I have updated the software and I don't know what more I can do. Thank you guys :smiling-face:
12 REPLIES 12
Tourbillon De La Vie
Samsung Members Star ★
Options

Can't say I noticed or tried in full darkness to use face recognition but if it didn't work I doubt I would think anything of it. I don't think much can be done to improve it 

stefanoa7
Journeyman
Options

Unfortunately, this is something you will have to deal with. Apple's facial recognition hardware is far superior to samsungs. The trade off on an iphone - you have the big black bar at the top of your screen which houses the components for facial recognition. Samsung does not use similar hardware and thus, inferior face ID, more screen realestate.

In settings when you setup your face id biometrics, there is an option to turn on full brightness while it searches for your face, this may help in dark situations.

BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@wink-face have you also set up the alternative appearance too. 

I agree when it low light or dark areas the face recognition isn't as accurate. 

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

wink-face
Journeyman
Options
@BandOfBrothers, no, I haven't set up an alternative appearance. How do I do this, please? Thanks
0 Likes
wink-face
Journeyman
Options
@StefanoA, thanks so much. I chose this phone for the camera, I guess you can't have it all. Thanks, though 😀.
0 Likes
wink-face
Journeyman
Options
Thanks @Tourbillon De La Vie 😀
0 Likes
Daz73r
Troubleshooter
Options
Have your fingerprint as backup
wink-face
Journeyman
Options
@Daz73r I have my fingerprint registered, that also is a hit and miss. I think I might need to change my screen protector to get the fingerprint to work more effectively. 🤔
0 Likes
Daz73r
Troubleshooter
Options
I've registered 2 of each thumb and never had a problem